Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Possible Loans

Comments

• Given the paucity of our striking options I am a bit surprised we didn't get in another striker. I know we tried with Delort, because I'm sure that Tucudean wasnt on Bobs radar but just a network player needing a gig and perceived to be of good enough quality.

Us football fans are impatient but like Henry Irving I think long term RD will progress us but it won't be easy or always what the fans want.
  • I really hope we do make this slow progress, im just not convinced the current plan will actually work and bring us anymore success then where we find ourselves now, no matter how many seasons we stick to it, as it will become harder and harder for us to spend money within FFP.

It seems like a noble idealogy in many ways considering the state of Football in this country but i think it is naive that it will lead to promotion in a few seasons time unless we stumble onto a player or head coach so talented that they get us promoted on their own merits.

Not that im wanting us to risk our future for short term gain, just thinking that in three seasons time we will be in the same exact postion as now, with lower crowds talking about if only we had Igor(long gone) and our current star striker(whoever that is) together in the same team we might have been serious contenders.

• The thing about loans are if they had the right attitude and was any good they would be playing for their own club
  • The FFP reporting deadline is indeed five weeks away and we will then see what sanctions are applied (if any) to clubs that have breached the limit. Watford and Charlton enjoy access to European networks which goes a long way to explaining why we are both in the top ten.
    But it isn't all about money is it?
    In your workplace how would you feel if a big challenge arose with which you think you could assist and the boss says "no thanks, we're going to borrow some workers from somewhere else who can't get work in their own place, will cost money from our limited budget...and they will take all of their development and ideas with them!"
    If that happened to me I would be on the phone to a recruiter looking for a better gig.
    Loans are small change normally (although I did see Boro have paid a loan fee of £1m for a belgian striker) and the real challenge in the Championship overall is clubs who try to buy a promotion place (Leicester QPR and Forest) together with clubs which are failing in spite of having parachute payments: Bolton, Blackburn, Blackpool, Wigan, Birmingham, Reading. They have little chance of promotion and as their parachute monies run out they will have to cut back. This, and the £2m reduction in loss limits is going to reduce the supply of cash to players and agents and then maybe English players demands will match those of Denmark, Netherlands and Belgium etc.

Finally, it wouldn't be much of a strategy if M.Duchatelet changed the rules every five minutes. It appears that loans are for emergencies only and that we have a squad for November and December that will hopefully continue to outperform the budget and stay near the top six. The executive will simply have to learn from the last window and get those deals closed in January.
  • Simonsen said:

Southbank said:

The whole 'relying on youth' thing is a smokescreen to justify lack of investment. Only 4 players have come through the youth team to establish themselves in the past 4 years, Solly,Cousins,Jenkinson and Poyet. Two of them left after half a season and one is semi crocked. Of the current bunch none have yet come close to establishing themselves, Fox is the closest. Gomez and KAG have played 2 games each in total game time.

I agree with this to a certain extent, but suspect that part of the problem was Powell's reluctance to give youth a chance .. the current crop of CAFC young players aged from (say) 17 to 21 contains some decent prospects .. yes we might well need a loanee or two, but youth must be given a chance when appropriate otherwise why spend lots of dosh on youth development and the academy
    Hang on, I don't think it's fair to say Powell was reluctant to give youth a chance. He made Solly a central part of his team and gave Poyet and Cousins their debuts. That's three of the four young players who have established themselves. He also debuted Morgan Fox and Ade Azeez, and probably more that I can't remember. Hardly anti-youth players was he
    Agreed. A lot of it is to do with timing. For all we know, Powell might have been planning to introduce even more young players at a later stage in the season. Did he not also give Harriot his debut?

As for Riga....he brought a calmness to the squad which translated into the players relaxing and picking up some crucial results. Very much like Lennie did back in 1982/83 when he slowly but surely turned round a failing team and got the best out of players like Steve White.
    I stand corrected to a certain extent. However, I will maintain that Powell tended to almost reluctantly bring in youth players mainly as a last resort or emergency measure after some of his loan signings failed to perform as well as expected. Lennon, Azeez, Pigott, Fox, Pope, how many games in total did they play under Powell ? .. Yes, the very talented, Solly, Cousins, Poyet were regulars, the last two at the end of the Powell era. Solly was given his debut before Powell's arrival, again, Harriott was never a regular until the end of Powell's time.
    I am still mystified that Smith, though not an academy product, was not given more games and time in which to prove himself. I will say again, in my opinion, Powell was always keener to bring in loanees rather than trust the youth team graduates. His hand may have been forced towards the end of his stay by lack of money to fund new arrivals. He was forced to give youth a chance, albeit perhaps against his better instincts.
  • edited October 2014
  • Our aim at the beginning of the season was stability. BP even told us that RD's instructions were keep us up. They are not going to throw loads of money at us to get us promoted this season. Building a young squad and getting some stability sounds reasonable as long as we stay in this league. The fact we have been hovering around/near the play-offs is a huge bonus in my mind. I'm just happy we are getting wins instead of last seasons issues.

I still think it makes common sense to bring in another striker on loan and add to the squad purely because our team is showing that to many injuries is going to be a problem. Throwing in all our Youth is ok but they can't all be ready for this level otherwise people would have come in for them on loan. But i can't see us bringing in any big signings that necessarily would be the kind that would get us in the Prem. As much as i'd love us too it would be a big mistake for us to go up this year. I'd be more than happy with top half finish this year.

Come January if we can add a couple of permanent players that are showing the same potential as the likes of Vetokele and Gudmundsson then i'm all for it.
  • I would like to know more what is the back up plan if for instance other clubs who continue to overspend don't get punished heavy enough over FFP to make them much less competitive or if we have a couple of seasons where for whatever reason our youth academy does not produce players of enough quality to be getting first team game time.

A few things would ease my mind, for instance one would be if we get those two players in January no matter what postion we find ourselves in, as i really don't like the idea that we only get our full budget to spend each season if the Coach has got the team over performing like has been suggested.

Another would be if the plan is to sell Igor(or another star) for a big profit, will we get the profit spent on bringing in 3 of the next generation of Igors, giving us a stronger squad rather then individuals or will we just get another one leaving us in the same postion we are now.

Im generally pro the ideas that Roland has but im getting more wary that even with good intentions it is not going to bring much of the success us fans want over the next few seasons, just standing still.
  • Simonsen said:

Southbank said:

The whole 'relying on youth' thing is a smokescreen to justify lack of investment. Only 4 players have come through the youth team to establish themselves in the past 4 years, Solly,Cousins,Jenkinson and Poyet. Two of them left after half a season and one is semi crocked. Of the current bunch none have yet come close to establishing themselves, Fox is the closest. Gomez and KAG have played 2 games each in total game time.

I agree with this to a certain extent, but suspect that part of the problem was Powell's reluctance to give youth a chance .. the current crop of CAFC young players aged from (say) 17 to 21 contains some decent prospects .. yes we might well need a loanee or two, but youth must be given a chance when appropriate otherwise why spend lots of dosh on youth development and the academy
    Hang on, I don't think it's fair to say Powell was reluctant to give youth a chance. He made Solly a central part of his team and gave Poyet and Cousins their debuts. That's three of the four young players who have established themselves. He also debuted Morgan Fox and Ade Azeez, and probably more that I can't remember. Hardly anti-youth players was he
    Agreed. A lot of it is to do with timing. For all we know, Powell might have been planning to introduce even more young players at a later stage in the season. Did he not also give Harriot his debut?

As for Riga....he brought a calmness to the squad which translated into the players relaxing and picking up some crucial results. Very much like Lennie did back in 1982/83 when he slowly but surely turned round a failing team and got the best out of players like Steve White.
    I stand corrected to a certain extent. However, I will maintain that Powell tended to almost reluctantly bring in youth players mainly as a last resort or emergency measure after some of his loan signings failed to perform as well as expected. Lennon, Azeez, Pigott, Fox, Pope, how many games in total did they play under Powell ? .. Yes, the very talented, Solly, Cousins, Poyet were regulars, the last two at the end of the Powell era. Solly was given his debut before Powell's arrival, again, Harriott was never a regular until the end of Powell's time.
    I am still mystified that Smith, though not an academy product, was not given more games and time in which to prove himself. I will say again, in my opinion, Powell was always keener to bring in loanees rather than trust the youth team graduates. His hand may have been forced towards the end of his stay by lack of money to fund new arrivals. He was forced to give youth a chance, albeit perhaps against his better instincts.
    The fact Powell did not play Azeez, Lennon, Pigott, Fox and Pope is that generally they were not and may never be ready. Azeez now plays L2 and has hardly set it alight. Lennon is struggling to get in a Cambridge team (conference?), Pigott struggling to get in a L2 side regularly and Fox and Pope have both received their criticisms on here. Where players were good enough (Cousins, Poyet etc), Powell played them and regularly. The only odd one was Smith, but scoring in L1 is no proof he will make it in Champ.
  • Sponsored links:

• vffvff
    edited October 2014
    Well balanced article from Chris Powell's flat cap on the forward options.

http://chrispowellsflatcap.com/2014/10/27/finding-forward-options/

There are some decent strikers out there as Grant Holt to Huddersfield and availability of Danny Graham shows (edit after Simonsen update below).

There are 10 matches to go to January window.

Charlton Athletic Fixtures

November 2014

Charlton V Sheff Wed / Sat 1 Nov
    Leeds V Charlton / Tue 4 Nov
    Reading V Charlton / Sat 8 Nov
    Charlton V Millwall / Sat 22 Nov
    Charlton V Ipswich / Sat 29 Nov

December 2014

Nottm Forest V Charlton / Sat 6 Dec
    Charlton V Blackpool / Sat 13 Dec
    Blackburn V Charlton / Sat 20 Dec
    Charlton V Cardiff / Fri 26 Dec
    Ipswich V Charlton / Tue 30 Dec

How many more games without Vetekele ? Vetekele needs support as well.

The current striker situation at Charlton makes no sense at all.
  • Danny Graham's move to Brentford fell through.
  • Simonsen said:

Danny Graham's move to Brentford fell through.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sunderland-striker-danny-graham-no-longer-moving-to-brentford/

Still potentially available
  • The thing about loans are if they had the right attitude and was any good they would be playing for their own club

Jackson?
  • DeeBee said:

Although the squads a bit thin at the moment id rather wait till January and add some proper quality additions who are going to stick around for a while rather than a loanee like Razak or Frimpong or Stewart

Agree with your point but don't agree about Stewart..
    Whilst he was not the complete package (if he was he wouldn't have been available for us to loan) he did have some very good games and good spells in games and he scored some spectacular goals which turned out to be very important in terms of games won and points and us staying up!

Some players I agree but not always the case.
  • cabbles said:

Probably not BP. Most likely RD is sticking to 'see where we are in Jan with current squad'

Rightly/wrongly, I think the squad we've got is the one we'll take into Jan. I think we'll add a couple in Jan regardless of where we are, because the squad is too stretched. Hopefully we'll still be in with a shout by then

Football League paper had interview with Bob who had positive discussions with RD about January additions.
    We'll definitely be getting players in come Jan, even if we've slipped down the table I reckon. If I was BP I would also argue that even if we have fallen off the pace a bit in Jan, the Championship is the sort of league where you put 5 wins together, you're right back in it.

Plus it's even tighter this year
  • vffvff
    edited October 2014
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Probably not BP. Most likely RD is sticking to 'see where we are in Jan with current squad'

Rightly/wrongly, I think the squad we've got is the one we'll take into Jan. I think we'll add a couple in Jan regardless of where we are, because the squad is too stretched. Hopefully we'll still be in with a shout by then

Football League paper had interview with Bob who had positive discussions with RD about January additions.
    We'll definitely be getting players in come Jan, even if we've slipped down the table I reckon. If I was BP I would also argue that even if we have fallen off the pace a bit in Jan, the Championship is the sort of league where you put 5 wins together, you're right back in it.

There is no certainty that Charlton will be getting in any players in January 15. Its a really big assumption to think that RD agrees with a big section of Charlton support about what is obvious in strengthening the team. RD may be looking at things from a completely different timescale and perspective.

The Standard Liege situation is going pear shaped, and the last time the Liege supporters rioted and caused RD to hole up in his office, RD heavily invested in Liege afterwards, which caused them to get to the top of the league. Who knows maybe RD will sell up this time ? (Though that may be doubtful due to getting a lower price due to the trouble). It is anybody's guess what RD will do.

The squad Charlton have now is highly likely to be the squad Charlton will have for the whole season. Happy if you are right though Cabbles and some additional quality is brought in. It is no way clear to being a definite.
  • edited October 2014
    vff said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

There is no certainty that Charlton will be getting in any players in January 14. Its a really big assumption to think that RD agrees with a big section of Charlton support about what is obvious in strengthening the team. RD may be looking at things from a completely different timescale and perspective.

The Standard Liege situation is going pear shaped, and the last time the Liege supporters rioted and caused RD to hole up in his office, RD heavily invested in Liege afterwards, which caused them to get to the top of the league. Who knows maybe RD will sell up this time ? (Though that may be doubtful due to getting a lower price due to the trouble). It is anybody's guess what RD will do.

Until anything happens otherwise, the squad Charlton has now will be the squad Charlton will have for the whole season. Happy if you are right though Cabbles and some additional quality is brought in. It is no way clear to being a definite.
    And the prize for stating the bleeding obvious goes to ;0)

• I disagree with the no sell on potential which RD wont like

IMO the way things are going we could end up around 20th, and before people start having a go at me hear me out.

RD has said if we are near the top come January he will spend, so IMO this next 2 months are crucial to are season
    with the squad we currently have a couple of injuries and come Jan we could find ourselves around 13th/14th in which case RD wont spend and we will end up near the bottom again.

if we get a couple of SHORT TERM loans just until January by then we could still be around 7th/8th and RD can bring a few players in and we could end up in the top 6

all I am suggesting is bringing in a Winger and a striker just until January.

As I say this next 2 months I think we define our season
  • Sponsored links:

• I disagree with the no sell on potential which RD wont like

IMO the way things are going we could end up around 20th, and before people start having a go at me hear me out.

RD has said if we are near the top come January he will spend, so IMO this next 2 months are crucial to are season
    with the squad we currently have a couple of injuries and come Jan we could find ourselves around 13th/14th in which case RD wont spend and we will end up near the bottom again.

if we get a couple of SHORT TERM loans just until January by then we could still be around 7th/8th and RD can bring a few players in and we could end up in the top 6

all I am suggesting is bringing in a Winger and a striker just until January.

As I say this next 2 months I think we define our season

Totally agree that the next two months define our season. The next ten games will deliver between 10 and 18 points. And that is the difference between being mid table or top six. Let's see how we do against Wednesday - when you put that game in the context of all the club statements, our forthcoming fixtures and the league table it is actually the biggest game for years - win and they continue the search for January additions.
    If we lose and fail to deliver throughout November then there will be a lot of questions but no new players!
    The current squad and coaching team has to deliver - no pressure!
    I actually think we are good for nine points in November and if that happens we can relax and wait for FFP announcements and the FA cup 3rd round draw in the full knowledge that "one or two quality players" will arrive in January. I would also add that I think this is 100% independent of events at Liege and the rest of the network. The only potential conflict is if both clubs are after the same player.
  • vff said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

There is no certainty that Charlton will be getting in any players in January 14. Its a really big assumption to think that RD agrees with a big section of Charlton support about what is obvious in strengthening the team. RD may be looking at things from a completely different timescale and perspective.

Until anything happens otherwise, the squad Charlton has now will be the squad Charlton will have for the whole season. Happy if you are right though Cabbles and some additional quality is brought in. It is no way clear to being a definite.
    Been there, done that
  • vff said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Agree re: liege uncertainty. I've just got a feeling we're the club in the network with a future (no offence to any of the others). I think there's a positivity about the place, and I think RD is also buying into that
  • Signing Tom Ince on loan would be great.
  • vff said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Been there, done that
    The famous CL thing of ignoring the whole point to pick up on a small mistake. Well done Greenie Jnr. You must be proud.
  • vffvff
    edited October 2014

vff said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

And the prize for stating the bleeding obvious goes to ;0)

'The squad Charlton have now is highly likely to be the squad Charlton will have for the whole season. Happy if you are right though Cabbles and some additional quality is brought in. It is no way clear to being a definite.'

Apart from being pedantic. I take it that you agree with the majority of the contribution @ShootersHillGuru ? Unless you are just picking up on that one line, many Charlton supporters assume that the shortcomings in the team are going to be addressed. I don't think that is stating the bleedin' obvious to point out that there is a high chance of this not happening. I hope that I am proved wrong about that.

Charlton need a couple of players to be safe mid table let alone being in the top 6.
  • vffvff
    edited October 2014
    cabbles said:

vff said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Agree re: liege uncertainty. I've just got a feeling we're the club in the network with a future (no offence to any of the others). I think there's a positivity about the place, and I think RD is also buying into that
    RD likes the whole European scouting thing and selling Liege does not seem to fit into that. If RD was going to do it, it would be surprising if he does this in December rather than the end of the season. The Liege supporters being very upset probably doesn't help him getting a higher price. Cashing in on some of the quality in the squad, may not help either. Who knows with RD, what he is up to, it is always a bit of a surprise.

I totally agree with you @cabbles that speaking from speaking from a Charlton supporters perspective, RD concentrating on Charlton to get into the premiership is the logical choice :-)
  • Maybe not a possible loan, but Chris O'Grady hasn't played much for brighton, admittedly he's been pretty bad when he has, but he's still got the quality as shown by scoring so many with such a bad team. Maybe worth a go? Roland and Bob must like him after chasing him for so long.
  • No thanks. He didn't want to join us, so I don't think we should take him on loan.
  • edited October 2014
    vff said:

vff said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Been there, done that
    The famous CL thing of ignoring the whole point to pick up on a small mistake. Well done Greenie Jnr. You must be proud.
    It's a joke lighten up you weirdo