Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is this the Valley?

Apologies if this has been posted before.

I came across this 1925 Pathe film by chance. It is entitled Wonderful Wheelers (Woolwich Kent), but could it be the Valley? There is a single ramshackle grandstand with familiar looking houses to the right. The topography of the surrounding land seems to fit perfectly too.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/wonderful-wheelers

Comments

• Options
    Without a doubt, yes.
  • Options
    That's mental I've never seen that footage before , definitely maybe The Vallley , the groundsman must have been in bits ....
    What about that jousting thingy with the bucket of water , ridiculous

• Options
    I only recognised it by the state of the pitch. Filmed in the summer of 2013 I believe.............
  • Options
    Great film - thanks for sharing.
    Not exactly up to the standards of "The White Helmets" were they!?
    Pretty decent crowd though.
  • Options
    Deffo The Valley. 'Elf and Safety would have had a field day.
  • Options
    Wow, that is so interesting - The Valley before East and South terraces.
  • Options
    brilliant footage
  • Options
    The second goal looked offside.
  • Options
    Surprised D'Urso let it go ahead
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is a superb find...1925, wow.
  • Options
    Never seen this before, pathe clips I've seen until this one have always been with the East Terrace complete.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    The position for the old East terrace gives it away. Brings back great memories of the Ground as it became. My Dad was a young squaddie at Woolwich Barracks at that time, and later became a referee affiliated with Charlton, going on to referee France v England with people like Matt Busby ( must have been guesting ) Joe Mercer and Tommy Lawton playing around the time of the second World War.
  • Options
    Excellent, everyone should view this vid. It only takes a couple of minutes.
  • Options
    Great footage no long ball then!
  • Options
    Wow, makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.
  • Options
    Brilliant film. Well spotted.
    My two favourite past times combined. I wonder if we can re-enact this scene at the end of the season. Happy to bring the motorbike.
  • Options

Magnificent !!
  • Options
    Instead of Cheerleaders - lets have this entertainment at half time :-)
    Thanks for posting - wonderful find
  • Options
    Great find. Brilliant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FYI - I found the ‘Wonderful Wheelers’ clip on the link below. ‘Someone’ has collated dozens of Pathe newsreels which are focused on the SE London area, including several clips of Charlton and the Valley.

Good to dip in and out of if interested in local history, although to be fair, there are plenty of Chumley - Warner moments - like the ‘School for Barmaids’ where ladies (know your place) are taught about different glasses and how to pour drinks. Ahem.

http://853blog.com/2009/08/04/greenwich-blackheath-and-woolwich-on-newsreel/
  • Options
    Great clips. The Valley in the 1923 Bolton game is clearly the place in the 1925 motor cycling clip. It's amazing to see all those people on the steep dirt bank. The QPR ground looks grotty, for a change. Is that White City in the background of Loftus Road?
  • Options
    Good to see Bikey there even back then.
  • Options
    Do you think they sold vegetarian cheese there?
  • Options
    "1938: Charlton beat Millwall 1-0 at The Den in a charity game". I suppose it must have been, if we beat them.