Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bad grammar in public view.

Comments

• Me to ......
  • 25/25 also

Very suspicious, even if I've always spoke proper since I is a kid
  • 25 and that was even with going to Thomas Tallis 40 odd years ago !!
  • If there was a sign showing you which way the cash machines were, should it read ATMS or ATM'S?
  • ATMS, I think.
  • 25/25 but I'm not sure I trust the result
  • Not saying my grammar is perfect but it's amazing the number of people who use the word 'your' when they mean 'you're'.
  • Sponsored links:

• 25/25 too!
  • I should of got 25/25 but I never.
  • 25/25

But then I've always been good at grammer.
  • 25/25 so 50% correct - now where's the maths test?

• edited March 2017
    Hmmmmmm 25/25 here too. I can't believe we are all English Scholars?!?

I'll take the win for Eltham Green anyway.
  • How do you know you got 25/25? I just took the test and it did not give a definitive score - just said "Congratulations, you are a Grammar Master" etc etc
  • PeterGage said:

How do you know you got 25/25? I just took the test and it did not give a definitive score - just said "Congratulations, you are a Grammar Master" etc etc

• If there was a sign showing you which way the cash machines were, should it read ATMS or ATM'S?

Neither. ATMs.
    Technically I'm not sure it's any of the above. Machines is the word that the M is representing so by adding an s on the end of the acronym (actually an initialism as the initials don't spell a word) you are pluralising a plural. So it should just be ATM.
  • Rizzo said:

If there was a sign showing you which way the cash machines were, should it read ATMS or ATM'S?

Neither. ATMs.
    Technically I'm not sure it's any of the above. Machines is the word that the M is representing so by adding an s on the end of the acronym (actually an initialism as the initials don't spell a word) you are pluralising a plural. So it should just be ATM.
    Is it? What if there's only 1 cash machine?
  • Sponsored links:

• Rizzo said:

If there was a sign showing you which way the cash machines were, should it read ATMS or ATM'S?

Neither. ATMs.
    But don't you need the "s" to differentiate between a single and multiple number of the aforementioned machines? Otherwise the reader is left with incomplete information.
  • Where is the nearest ATM?

Are there any ATMs nearby?
  • I hate these non-descript TLAs (see what I did there). I'd much prefer it if everyone stuck to Cashpoint.
  • The way people pronounce words today leaves me wondering about the standard of teaching in our schools and universities. Contri-bute instead of Con-trib-ute, Distri-bute instead of Dis-trib-ute and my all time favourite Arks instead of Ask.
  • Con-troversy instead of contra-versy.
  • cafcfan said:

Rizzo said:

Neither. ATMs.
    But don't you need the "s" to differentiate between a single and multiple number of the aforementioned machines? Otherwise the reader is left with incomplete information.
    The s is helpful but I'm not sure it's correct. I do however stand to be corrected on the matter.
  • The number of people who claim to work in Haitch R. Whenever I hear it I want to scream 'Haitch -AAARRRGGHHH!!!' at them.

If you can't even say the name of your job properly, you shouldn't be doing it.
  • The way people pronounce words today leaves me wondering about the standard of teaching in our schools and universities. Contri-bute instead of Con-trib-ute, Distri-bute instead of Dis-trib-ute

Syllable rage!!!!!!!