Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

University Challenge last night

Who got the Henry Irving question right? I did lol.

Comments

• No - I got the Latin names for the 3 British reptiles / amphibians correct though
  • Yep, the missus looked at me a bit oddly as if I was some kind of intelligent chap

The three cricket questions helped up the average as well
  • Swerve said:

Yep, the missus looked at me a bit oddly as if I was some kind of intelligent chap

I knew reading a broadsheet on our Worldnet minibus's while @DaveStorry‌ studied the top shelf range would pay off for you one day mate :-)

• I got the actors in musicians biopic's questions right.

• If you think that UC is hard, you won't understand what's going on in only connect. Still you can just sit there and look at Victoria Coren.
  • If you think that UC is hard, you won't understand what's going on in only connect. Still you can just sit there and look at Victoria Coren.

They have questions on that show..?

Was that the programme afterwards ? That was quality - tough though.

Did anybody used to watch it on BBC4 previously and then BBC2 last night.
    I think maybe it has been dumbed down, for BBC2 perhaps?

Other than the last round which is easier, usually if I get 1 right answer I'm doing laps of the coffee table to celebrate, but last night I got 4 or 5.
    Maybe just coincidence, or maybe easier questions to draw viewers in for its BBC2 debut.

Either way, Victoria is still the same and that's the main draw I suppose.

Did anybody used to watch it on BBC4 previously and then BBC2 last night.
    I think maybe it has been dumbed down, for BBC2 perhaps?

Other than the last round which is easier, usually if I get 1 right answer I'm doing laps of the coffee table to celebrate, but last night I got 4 or 5.
    Maybe just coincidence, or maybe easier questions to draw viewers in for its BBC2 debut.

Either way, Victoria is still the same and that's the main draw I suppose.
    Missus watches it on Iplayer, think shes only ever got one question correct in about a year.

Me, Id rather cut my toenails so short they bleed than watch it.

• Swerve said:

Yep, the missus looked at me a bit oddly as if I was some kind of intelligent chap

Snap! But I did follow it up with a few others too so to make sure I wasn't completely sussed. Where is he today btw? I expect the excitement may have been too much for him...
  • Sponsored links:

• Got my biggest haul of correct answers.
    Helped massively by the cricket questions, lucky guesses with Spain, Portugal, Jamaica and Barbados, triggers broom and an Arthur miller question.
  • PL54 said:

No - I got the Latin names for the 3 British reptiles / amphibians correct though

Yep I got these as well, plus surprisingly, a few others. Paxman didn't look that impressed with the Liverpool and Sheffield students.
  • I only realised that he is really called ben yesterday
  • I only realised that he is really called ben yesterday

You want to hear want the Peanut Man calls him :-)

• Swerve said:

Snap! But I did follow it up with a few others too so to make sure I wasn't completely sussed. Where is he today btw? I expect the excitement may have been too much for him...
    Croydon. The things I do for money.

What was the question?
  • A series of questions on people born in Somerset.
    One was the name of the first actor to receive a knighthood.
  • edited September 2014
    cafcfan said:

A series of questions on people born in Somerset.
    One was the name of the first actor to receive a knighthood.

I hope the answer was given as "Henry, Henry Irving oh oh" or it doesn't count : - )
  • Turned the TV on got the space distance question (ans. Saturn/Jupiter) then immediately turned it off to preserve my 100% record.
  • Ex Charlton player on University Challenge right now. That's probably a first.
  • Chizz said:

Ex Charlton player on University Challenge right now. That's probably a first.

Who?
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:

Chizz said:

Who?
    Eniola Aluko
  • iainment said:

Chizz said:

Who?
    Eniola Aluko
    Repeat from last year
  • Shit i take it? You know how we are in knockout comps...
  • I managed to get quite a few answers right (by my low standards). I’m guessing that maybe the questions were made a bit easier, as it was a celebrity edition ?
  • iainment said:

iainment said:

Chizz said:

Who?
    Eniola Aluko
    So not Charlton.
    Charlton Women which is a different team.
    Oh right. Do you want to tell her she didn't play for Birmingham City, Chelsea, Juventus and Engand too, or shall I?
  • iainment said:

iainment said:

Chizz said:

Who?
    Eniola Aluko
    So not Charlton.
    There's no team called 'Charlton' either.
  • Chizz said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

Chizz said:

Who?
    Eniola Aluko
    So not Charlton.
    Oh right. Do you want to tell her she didn't play for Birmingham City, Chelsea, Juventus and Engand too, or shall I?
    Is it wrong to say "played for Chelsea Ladies" now then?
  • Chizz said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

Chizz said:

Who?
    Eniola Aluko
    So not Charlton.
    I'm not sure you can carry it off anymore, I mean, don't get me wrong, you're obviously very convincing, but....
  • Chizz said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

Chizz said:

Who?
    Eniola Aluko
    So not Charlton.
    No. That's what they were called when she played for them. They've since changed their name now.

It would be right to say she played for Chelsea or she played for Chelsea Ladies.