Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2015 General Election

The initial skirmishes of the 2015 General Election have started, with the announcement by Boris Johnson that he's intending to stand in Uxbridge and South Ruislip; Nigel Farage putting himself forward as a candidate in South Thanet; former Conservative MP Douglas Carswell swapping sides to instigate a by-election in Clacton; and Alex Salmond and Alistair Darling fighting their yes/no campaign north of the border. Meanwhile Labour leads the national polling.

The lead-up to 7 May is going to be very interesting...

Comments

• Options
    Maybe for some but not for many!
  • Options
    Hung Parliament - second election in Oct 2015.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Didn't they pass a bill with set 5 year terms though rather than up to 5 year terms?

I agree hung parliament, though who knows what will happen if Scottish referendum ends up with a yes vote.
  • Options
    Will be one of the closest elections ever, Conservatives could get more votes but Labour could get more seats.
  • Options
    redcarter said:

Didn't they pass a bill with set 5 year terms though rather than up to 5 year terms?

I agree hung parliament, though who knows what will happen if Scottish referendum ends up with a yes vote.
    Yes, but it could be triggered by either a vote of no confidence or a two-thirds majority vote for an early election.
  • Options
    What will the impact of 50 odd Scottish seats disappearing be if there is a "YES" vote?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

What will the impact of 50 odd Scottish seats disappearing be if there is a "YES" vote?

I don't think it would happen that quickly!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

LenGlover said:

That's partly my point.

What will happen? Has anyone set out a plan? I've not seen anything anywhere but admittedly have not actively looked for it.
  • Options
    Same shits, different day!
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Chizz said:

LenGlover said:

That's partly my point.

What will happen? Has anyone set out a plan? I've not seen anything anywhere but admittedly have not actively looked for it.
    It is all a right mess at the minute. Imagine a small Labour majority propped up by Scottish Labour MPs shortly to leave the union within a year or two.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scotland will remain a part of the UK in the event of a "yes" until 2016, so the election will still stand. After independence they would obviously no longer be MPs. It may be that some of all of the Scottish MPs would not take their seats.

Worth noting that there have been very few elections where the Scottish vote was decisive - I think the last one was the only one - the Tories would have had a majority if Scotland had been excluded.
  • Options
    I'm voting for Katrien.
  • Options
    If you're a politics junkie, there is a wonderful year ahead. personally I can't wait to see a few big knobs rip off their microphones and storm away from places, always the best bit.
    What did I hear the other day? Vote labour, get Tory-lite, Vote lib Dems get Tory, vote Tory get UKIP, Vote UKIP get nothing, Vote Green get depressed, Vote Monster Raving Loony and get what we've got.
  • Options
    Should've been the easiest victory for Labour ever. Yet still they managed to screw it up by enough that it's now neck and neck.

Will be interesting to see where the Lib-dem voters (23%) of last election move to. A large percentage were protest votes of the top two so maybe UKIP? But then the left-wing policies would mean perhaps Green or Labour instead.
  • Options
    The lib dems are screwed since they were always a protest vote but now in coalition government... I always thought they might find a reason to dump the coalition once the worst of the recession was over but they've decided to see it out - I'm sure they are eyeing up a similar deal with labour if numbers work that way.
    Labour may have a presentation issue but their leader is bright and shrewd - I don't know when they announce their policies but their recent announcement on the railways is very smart.
    UKIP are going to win a lot of votes but I don't know how that affects the map...
    Tories - I sincerely hope they are not in power for their gaming of the EU situation is potentially disastrous! Think Scottish voting yes and multiply several times over...just a personal view but our national borders and alliances are not the issue for the next 20-50 years.
    We will know soon enough where the Scottish vote is going...this next election is important although I can understand if some think it changes nothing...from what I read a couple of years back the next 30 years hold a lot of challenges and we need government that can address them.
  • Options
    Tory win with a small overall majority of 15.
  • Options
    Predictions:

- UKIP to get their first-ever seats (plural).
    - Green to lose Brighton Pavilion and therefore all representation.
    - Labour with the most seats won but not a majority. I believe they'll form a government with the Liberal Democrats and potentially a couple of independents (maybe even coaxing Plaid Cymru and similar), with a majority of about 18.

Obviously what I've said depends heavily on the next few months.

Make sure you vote, please.
  • Options
    good question hinted at above-----------if the Jocks do vote yes what does happen re the General election of 2015 ? surely they would forfeit their right to vote in "our" election ? I mean why after all that effort to be independent would they still wish to keep voting for a "foreign" Government ?
    Of course Labour will give them time and want them to have the vote in 2015 as the seats they would loose could be the difference in holding power.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I'm going to stick my neck on the line and predict the Lib Dems to lose a lot of seats and UKIP to win a few!

Seriously though, this is a rare occasion where it's hard to predict who will get a majority. It will be very interesting.
  • Options

good question hinted at above-----------if the Jocks do vote yes what does happen re the General election of 2015 ? surely they would forfeit their right to vote in "our" election ? I mean why after all that effort to be independent would they still wish to keep voting for a "foreign" Government ?
    Of course Labour will give them time and want them to have the vote in 2015 as the seats they would loose could be the difference in holding power.

Because they'll be governed by it for the next year (or however long). Independence doesn't happen overnight. So, they keep a vote.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    herd all that shit before --the SNP and Welsh Nats still vote on "English" issues--they have their own Parliaments already but still want to vote in the H of Commons up to the 11th hour --what utter shit--- lights off from day one if a yes vote.
  • Options
    I would guess the lowest turnout in a General Election in modern times.
  • Options
    Lots of Lib Dem MPs are well dug in locally and won't be shifted easily. People like Cable, who pretend that they aren't part of the government when it suits them. Yorkshire is right, turnout will be terrible. Labour minority government supported by LDs on a confidence and supply basis. Scotland vote No by a smallish majority and Salmond refuses to shut up.
  • Options

herd all that shit before --the SNP and Welsh Nats still vote on "English" issues--they have their own Parliaments already but still want to vote in the H of Commons up to the 11th hour --what utter shit--- lights off from day one if a yes vote.

No. You're wrong.

If the Scots vote for independence, there will be a period of negotiation between the Scottish Parliament and the UK Government in Westminster. As some people have said, this will last, at least a year. A "yes" vote does *not* automatically mean that Scotland is no longer part of the UK - it merely instigates a period of negotiation. Those negotiations could even conclude in the Scots changing their mind!

(Of course the position of the Welsh Nationalists is entirely different).
  • Options

I would guess the lowest turnout in a General Election in modern times.

That's currently the 2001 turnout which was 59.4%. I have a feeling it's going to be bigger than that this time...
  • Options
    I seem to recall reading that without Scott's MP's all of the 80s, 90s and 00s governments would have been with the same, albeit with changed, but governable majorities. However the current Tory Government would have a majority of 29.

I think a more significant and immediate factor would be a how engaged in a UK general election a post - yes vote Scottish electorate would be? Since the SNP has set a target date for independance of a March 2016 the Scottish people would be voting for Scottish MP's who would be very unlikely to sit for more than 10 months, in a Parliment largely irrelevant to them - How would this affect turnout and the make up of those MP's elected?

In addition a yes vote could also obviously affect a government with a small, or no majority, very early in a new Parliament, but may not produce a two thirds majority required to call another election.

Following a yes vote some sort of boundary review would be very likely. There have even been credible calls for the UK election to be postponed until May 2016 in order to allow re - drawing of boundaries to accommodate a smaller number of MP's and without the involvement of then effectively foreign voters.

I am staunchly in favour of the Union for a number of reasons and think, that at the very least, a yes vote would cause great instability politically and economically both sides of a new border in the medium term.

Re the election? Very close indeed with a small majority for either party, or most likely hung.

Re Scottland? I think that they will vote no.
  • Options

This is a pretty big butchering of the West Lothian question, as proposed by Tam Dalyell in 1977. You've not made the important distinction that Scottish MPs such as himself can vote on "English" issues in areas where legislation is centralised, but he cannot vote on "Scottish" matters where legislation is devolved.
  • Options
    If happily have the current government remain in place, stopping the Labour Party from causing more destruction as usual.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    This is the most unpredictable political landscape in my lifetime.

Previously swings would be pretty uniform between elections and only a couple of percentage points would be down to local factors . In my view that changed in 1997 when many voters started voting tactically on a mass scale to oust a Tory Government .

Previously tactical voting mainly only happened at By Elections, which did not effect who was in power or local and European elections . My view is many voters now happily lend their votes to keep out the party they dislike the most rather than support. The main benefices of this previously has been the Lib Dems .Before the Brighton game I drank in Lewes on Saturday which is held by Lib Dem Norman Baker .Labour gets a negligible vote here at General Elections despite the fact that they attract decent support in areas like Newhaven for local polls. This will clearly change following the coalition. It is estimated that around 80% of Miliband's increased support since 2010 is from disaffected Lib Dems.

It is suggested by a Survation poll for the Mail On Sunday that 45% of Labour voters from 2010 in Clacton would support Douglas Carswell in the forthcoming By Election . In the past this would not even happen even in the heightened atmosphere on a By Election . In 1982 Tory voters in Mitcham and Morden elected Angela Rumbold to oust the Labour to SDP defector Bruce Douglas Mann.

In terms of Scotland my best guess is although the political momentum is with Salmond at the moment that he will just fall short. Many Scots I know like him as a First Minister but would not support outright independence.

A break away could have a major effect on the UK Parliament and the outcome of next year's election. From memory since the Second World War Labour has only won a majority in England and Wales ( the main UK parties do not contest the Northern Irish seats which makes it even more difficult to construct a parliamentary majority) in 1945 ,1966,1997 and 2001.

So the Government's following Labour victories in 1950, 1964,1974 and 2005 all relied on Scottish seats to construct a majority. Given that this is part of the Party's heartlands and the closeness of the polls , the prospect of the Scots seats making a difference next year is quite likely in my view. As @Iagree comments above we would now have a majority Conservative Government of 29 and not a hung parliament .In my view he will also takes seats off Labour next year whatever happens.

This is not to mention the other localised curve balls such as the Greens in Brighton , Respect in Bradford and UKIP many areas. Crucially if (when) Carswell wins Clacton he will do it under their own banner and give them confidence in the dozen or so seats they have targeted in the East of England ,some Northern Labour seats, Essex and Kent. For example Rotherham must be a feasible target for them given their recent local vote and the recent scandal.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

This is the most unpredictable political landscape in my lifetime.

Previously swings would be pretty uniform between elections and only a couple of percentage points would be down to local factors . In my view that changed in 1997 when many voters started voting tactically on a mass scale to oust a Tory Government .

Previously tactical voting mainly only happened at By Elections, which did not effect who was in power or local and European elections . My view is many voters now happily lend their votes to keep out the party they dislike the most rather than support. The main benefices of this previously has been the Lib Dems .Before the Brighton game I drank in Lewes on Saturday which is held by Lib Dem Norman Baker .Labour gets a negligible vote here at General Elections despite the fact that they attract decent support in areas like Newhaven for local polls. This will clearly change following the coalition. It is estimated that around 80% of Miliband's increased support since 2010 is from disaffected Lib Dems.

It is suggested by a Survation poll for the Mail On Sunday that 45% of Labour voters from 2010 in Clacton would support Douglas Carswell in the forthcoming By Election . In the past this would not even happen even in the heightened atmosphere on a By Election . In 1982 Tory voters in Mitcham and Morden elected Angela Rumbold to oust the Labour to SDP defector Bruce Douglas Mann.

In terms of Scotland my best guess is although the political momentum is with Salmond at the moment that he will just fall short. Many Scots I know like him as a First Minister but would not support outright independence.

A break away could have a major effect on the UK Parliament and the outcome of next year's election. From memory since the Second World War Labour has only won a majority in England and Wales ( the main UK parties do not contest the Northern Irish seats which makes it even more difficult to construct a parliamentary majority) in 1945 ,1966,1997 and 2001.

So the Government's following Labour victories in 1950, 1964,1974 and 2005 all relied on Scottish seats to construct a majority. Given that this is part of the Party's heartlands and the closeness of the polls , the prospect of the Scots seats making a difference next year is quite likely in my view. As @Iagree comments above we would now have a majority Conservative Government of 29 and not a hung parliament .In my view he will also takes seats off Labour next year whatever happens.

This is not to mention the other localised curve balls such as the Greens in Brighton , Respect in Bradford and UKIP many areas. Crucially if (when) Carswell wins Clacton he will do it under their own banner and give them confidence in the dozen or so seats they have targeted in the East of England ,some Northern Labour seats, Essex and Kent. For example Rotherham must be a feasible target for them given their recent local vote and the recent scandal.

All governments since 1979, would have had a workable majority without Scots MPs and the outcomes would have been exactly the same - The 2005 election would have produced a Labour majority of 17 without Scottish votes.

The current government is the only one which would have been affected insomuch as it would have had a majority of 29.