Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Norway

124»

Comments

• Options

I've never felt as negative about the national team and English football as I have since Hodgson has been in charge. This is an excellent read and sums up exactly how I feel about it at the moment - http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/03/england-norway-raheem-sterling-international-friendly

Blimey - that's glum.
  • Options

I've never felt as negative about the national team and English football as I have since Hodgson has been in charge. This is an excellent read and sums up exactly how I feel about it at the moment - http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/03/england-norway-raheem-sterling-international-friendly

Blimey - that's glum.
    it is. Hard to disagree with though.
  • Options

Blimey - that's glum.
    I think the writer should perhaps wait to judge the 'new order' until after the first competitive game, which is also our hardest.
  • Options

Blimey - that's glum.
    I think the writer should perhaps wait to judge the 'new order' until after the first competitive game, which is also our hardest.
    Maybe, but I think it's just initial thoughts really. I can't see Monday being much better if I'm honest.
  • Options

Blimey - that's glum.
    Maybe, but I think it's just initial thoughts really. I can't see Monday being much better if I'm honest.
    I'm very pro-England, but sadly I think you are right TRR. :-(
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Blimey - that's glum.
    It was the same with Charltons pre-season friendly, how can we lose to Welling blah blah blah. There are far too many factors in a friendly that make it different from a competitive game that make any all round team thoughts or judgements a little pointless. Personal performance im sure the manager will take more notice of, but even then its difficult.

The reporter is doing his job and its a fair POV but premature. We go to Switzerland on Monday and win then we are sitting pretty with a whole qualification for the team to improve.

I think we will get through monday with a point personally and id probably be happy with that.
  • Options

Blimey - that's glum.
    It was the same with Charltons pre-season friendly, how can we lose to Welling blah blah blah. There are far too many factors in a friendly that make it different from a competitive game that make any all round team thoughts or judgements a little pointless. Personal performance im sure the manager will take more notice of, but even then its difficult.

I think we will get through monday with a point personally and id probably be happy with that.
    But doesn't hoping to come away from Switzerland with a point reflect our lowered expectations Gary?
  • Options
    Forgot the game was on. Tuned in late. Got bored. Switched off to watch National Lampoons Vacation instead.

I can't say for certain the last time I enjoyed an England game, but I've a feeling it was that 5-1 in Munich. England games nowadays are always so dull. I really don't think we play to our strengths. What we're good at is high octane blood and thunder football, but we never see that from the England team anymore. It’s always at a pedestrian continental pace, but rarely very well executed. The FA just seem to look at whatever overseas teams are successful and try miserably to emulate them: Ooh, France are technically gifted and pass the ball well, we'll have to be technically gifted and pass the ball well. Look at Spain, they tap the ball around nicely then attack at speed when they’ve bored you to death, we'll have to tap the ball around nicely then attack at speed when we’ve bored them to death. I bet that at this very moment there's a bunch of blazer-clad buffoons sitting around a five course lunch with a very nice bottle of port hatching plans to copy every Joachim Loew tactic they've ever seen. And we'll be doomed to failure for another 12 years because whilst Germany will be busy playing to their strengths, we'll be busy trying unsuccessfully to play to their strengths as well.

What we need is for the FA to sit down and look at what English players can do well and to formulate a style of play based on that. Until then we are doomed to play dull, second rate copies of other national teams’ games: Football that will be unattainable for the players and uninspiring for the crowd/audience.
  • Options

Blimey - that's glum.

But doesn't hoping to come away from Switzerland with a point reflect our lowered expectations Gary?
    Not really. The Swiss have their own promising youngsters, were seeded in the WC and only got knocked out very late in the game against Argentina. They are no mugs.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I don't see how anyone can watch Rooney for 90 minutes walking around screwing up any attacking position we have and think that he deserves to sit in the team any longer.

Sterling plays far better in that position, yet because Rooney is a golden-boy he gets to play every single game in his favourite position to the detriment of the team.

Think we'll draw with Switzerland, they're a lot better than people think. Shaqiri alone is better than any of our players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Forgive me for what is going to be seen as an overly aggressive post and one that I have been repeating for a while now. As a collective, from the national team that started last night right through to the core of how we coach our young players and incorporate the ever growing dominance of the premiership and money men in the sport, ENGLISH FOOTBALL IS SHIT.

I have a number of reasons for stating this, starting with what seems to be a consistent record of mediocrity in tournaments since Italia 90. I am too young to remember that tournament clearly, so my first real memory of a WC was USA 94 (oh dear we weren't there). Perhaps this was a sign to suggest it would be a trend for the rest of my life that our national team were destined to be mediocre. Subsequent tournaments (Euro 96 aside) have in my opinion, done nothing to suggest we are actually improving. Yes, you could argue that we did well to get to the quarters in 2002, Euro 2004 and 2006, but let's be honest, I think you'd be clutching at straws.

For me, last night was what I have been used to and come to expect from England for about 8 years now. There is a huge amount of post match analysis and debate around Hodgson and the system, but even if we had Alex Ferguson managing the team, he may have only been able to squeeze a 2nd round tie out of this year's WC. It has been mentioned on other threads about the cost of obtaining the FA coaching licenses in this country compared to Germany. We have Aidy Boothroyd involved in the FA youth coaching set up FFS. We all know how that man liked to organise his Watford sides. They were as direct as getting a punch in the face from Mike Tyson, but without such an impact. If this is a man who has direct contact with players when they are at such an impressionable stage in their football career, then God help us.

This is one example of the rot that exists within, and to be fair, yes I don't know anyone involved in youth football and how they coach youngsters at the moment. I welcome anyone who is involved to tell me it is changing, but I can only go on what I have seen in my lifetime. The new crop today look as uninspiring as the golden generation of 2000. Some individuals look okay and I hope they will prove me wrong. However I count these on one hand, Sterling (maybe), Barkley, Sturridge. Some others, such as Shaw & Stones I haven't seen enough of to comment. I may be being overly harsh, writing them off so soon, but I have been let down time and time again.

I have singled out Wilshere for criticism on here before, and to me whenever pundits mention him as one of the exciting new crop, I am astounded. Yes he has had some bad injuries that have hampered is development, but he's not up to it in my opinion. He's been playing badly for Arsenal for a while, didn't even come off the bench against Leicester and tops it all of by getting caught smoking after a shit WC.

All these little things niggle at me. Then, after last night's game, we have the typical bullshit in defence of the game, the crowd, result & performance. Hodgson comes out today and says it will be a struggle to get decent crowds during the qualifiers because of the 'calibre of the opposition'. No, no, no Roy. It will be a struggle to get decent crowds, because for years the national team have failed to deliver, and done it in such a style of football that is pathetic to watch. He got irked when pulled up about having only 2 shots on goal, and defended it with a robust response of our possession. Who gives a monkey's. We all know modern football is about cutting open your opponents and breaking down teams that play compact. Anyone who watched Man Utd under Ferguson saw that they played to win and score in such away that balanced the need to pass the ball, with one that could cut through teams like a knife. I don't want to hear any bollocks about possession. He should have said, the performance wasn't up to it, we need to do better.

Joe Hart then comes out with something about it being a Wednesday night and the schools starting again. Yes that maybe, but I guarantee a night in watching 'got to dance' on sky 1 or some crap like that is far more appealing than rocking up to Wembley to waste a night watching England.

I understand a number of other lifers regularly go and watch England and hats off to them, it is their choice. We can see the money in the Premiership is a major factor and is contributing to hurting our youth development. The FA have got a mammoth task on their hands because now that the Prem is so big commercially, it may be too late to stop the money train and re-balance it for the good of our national team.

This has been an overly one sided post, and I expect a lot may not agree. But I'm done with arguments like 'if we try him here and play this way it might work', or 'so and so looks quite good, he might improve our chances if he's played with him'

No, for me, there are too many in that team who aren't world class in their respective positions, and we are already looking at another 10/12 years of the Lampard/Gerrard era repeating itself.
  • Options
    It wasn't great - suspect the manager and players had Monday in mind TBH so saved some energy..and hopefully a better performance for that!
  • Options

Blimey - that's glum.

The reporter is doing his job and its a fair POV but premature. We go to Switzerland on Monday and win then we are sitting pretty with a whole qualification for the team to improve.

Except we're not just talking about one friendly with England unfortunately. It's been a major problem for decades now.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Forgive me for what is going to be seen as an overly aggressive post and one that I have been repeating for a while now. As a collective, from the national team that started last night right through to the core of how we coach our young players and incorporate the ever growing dominance of the premiership and money men in the sport, ENGLISH FOOTBALL IS SHIT.

I have a number of reasons for stating this, starting with what seems to be a consistent record of mediocrity in tournaments since Italia 90. I am too young to remember that tournament clearly, so my first real memory of a WC was USA 94 (oh dear we weren't there). Perhaps this was a sign to suggest it would be a trend for the rest of my life that our national team were destined to be mediocre. Subsequent tournaments (Euro 96 aside) have in my opinion, done nothing to suggest we are actually improving. Yes, you could argue that we did well to get to the quarters in 2002, Euro 2004 and 2006, but let's be honest, I think you'd be clutching at straws.

For me, last night was what I have been used to and come to expect from England for about 8 years now. There is a huge amount of post match analysis and debate around Hodgson and the system, but even if we had Alex Ferguson managing the team, he may have only been able to squeeze a 2nd round tie out of this year's WC. It has been mentioned on other threads about the cost of obtaining the FA coaching licenses in this country compared to Germany. We have Aidy Boothroyd involved in the FA youth coaching set up FFS. We all know how that man liked to organise his Watford sides. They were as direct as getting a punch in the face from Mike Tyson, but without such an impact. If this is a man who has direct contact with players when they are at such an impressionable stage in their football career, then God help us.

This is one example of the rot that exists within, and to be fair, yes I don't know anyone involved in youth football and how they coach youngsters at the moment. I welcome anyone who is involved to tell me it is changing, but I can only go on what I have seen in my lifetime. The new crop today look as uninspiring as the golden generation of 2000. Some individuals look okay and I hope they will prove me wrong. However I count these on one hand, Sterling (maybe), Barkley, Sturridge. Some others, such as Shaw & Stones I haven't seen enough of to comment. I may be being overly harsh, writing them off so soon, but I have been let down time and time again.

I have singled out Wilshere for criticism on here before, and to me whenever pundits mention him as one of the exciting new crop, I am astounded. Yes he has had some bad injuries that have hampered is development, but he's not up to it in my opinion. He's been playing badly for Arsenal for a while, didn't even come off the bench against Leicester and tops it all of by getting caught smoking after a shit WC.

All these little things niggle at me. Then, after last night's game, we have the typical bullshit in defence of the game, the crowd, result & performance. Hodgson comes out today and says it will be a struggle to get decent crowds during the qualifiers because of the 'calibre of the opposition'. No, no, no Roy. It will be a struggle to get decent crowds, because for years the national team have failed to deliver, and done it in such a style of football that is pathetic to watch. He got irked when pulled up about having only 2 shots on goal, and defended it with a robust response of our possession. Who gives a monkey's. We all know modern football is about cutting open your opponents and breaking down teams that play compact. Anyone who watched Man Utd under Ferguson saw that they played to win and score in such away that balanced the need to pass the ball, with one that could cut through teams like a knife. I don't want to hear any bollocks about possession. He should have said, the performance wasn't up to it, we need to do better.

Joe Hart then comes out with something about it being a Wednesday night and the schools starting again. Yes that maybe, but I guarantee a night in watching 'got to dance' on sky 1 or some crap like that is far more appealing than rocking up to Wembley to waste a night watching England.

I understand a number of other lifers regularly go and watch England and hats off to them, it is their choice. We can see the money in the Premiership is a major factor and is contributing to hurting our youth development. The FA have got a mammoth task on their hands because now that the Prem is so big commercially, it may be too late to stop the money train and re-balance it for the good of our national team.

This has been an overly one sided post, and I expect a lot may not agree. But I'm done with arguments like 'if we try him here and play this way it might work', or 'so and so looks quite good, he might improve our chances if he's played with him'

No, for me, there are too many in that team who aren't world class in their respective positions, and we are already looking at another 10/12 years of the Lampard/Gerrard era repeating itself.
    This is spot on for me.
  • Options
    If that England squad was a premier league squad I reckon it would finish between 5th and 8th. We look more Hull City than Man City at international level and seem to be getting incrementally worse. Hopefully some of the promising youngsters can reach their potential but even if they do we look well short of quality.
  • Options

I don't see how anyone can watch Rooney for 90 minutes walking around screwing up any attacking position we have and think that he deserves to sit in the team any longer.

Sterling plays far better in that position, yet because Rooney is a golden-boy he gets to play every single game in his favourite position to the detriment of the team.

Think we'll draw with Switzerland, they're a lot better than people think. Shaqiri alone is better than any of our players.

What are you basing that on? Have you even seen Shaqiri play as much as Sterling, Rooney, Sturridge etc or are you just hyping him up cause he got a hatrick against an awful team at the world cup?

He's their best player and he's good but I wouldn't say he's better than all our players, I'd say Sturridge and Sterling are both better and wouldn't put him that far ahead of some of our other players.

And I agree with Gary, some people expect too much of England. We are pretty average if I'm honest, I think a win would be good against Switzerland. A draw is a decent result. There's a long list of problems with the England squad, a very long list.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

What are you basing that on? Have you even seen Shaqiri play as much as Sterling, Rooney, Sturridge etc or are you just hyping him up cause he got a hatrick against an awful team at the world cup?

He's their best player and he's good but I wouldn't say he's better than all our players, I'd say Sturridge and Sterling are both better and wouldn't put him that far ahead of some of our other players.

And I agree with Gary, some people expect too much of England. We are pretty average if I'm honest, I think a win would be good against Switzerland. A draw is a decent result. There's a long list of problems with the England squad, a very long list.
    Been watching him since he was at Basel. His ability on the ball is better than any of our players and would be perfect for our England midfield at the moment. Ripped Manchester United apart at the age of 18 back in 2011 which earned him a move to Bayern where he's mostly been a bench player. Wants to leave to play football but they won't let him go as they believe he's one for the future.

Also remember his goal against England back in 2011 or 2012? Quality.

Only 22 years old and performed on bigger stages than Sturridge, Sterling, Rooney etc.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Been watching him since he was at Basel. His ability on the ball is better than any of our players and would be perfect for our England midfield at the moment. Ripped Manchester United apart at the age of 18 back in 2011 which earned him a move to Bayern where he's mostly been a bench player. Wants to leave to play football but they won't let him go as they believe he's one for the future.

Only 22 years old and performed on bigger stages than Sturridge, Sterling, Rooney etc.
    That's fair enough then, most people haven't even watched him and claim he's good cause they play fifa or whatever. I would obviously like it if he was English (could say that about 50 others though) but I think Sterling is better. In time that may change, cause neither have 'peaked' yet, still young. Right now I'd rather have Sterling if I was a manager though.

Maybe I'm biased but I thought Sterling performed at this world cup and other big occasions (scoring against man city in a title race) Rooney has also performed on big occasions.
  • Options
    Whatever, last night's performance was so dull that I found myself thinking that if football was like that all the time I'd stop watching.
  • Options

Two things spring to mind reading that. One - the number of people I heard/read talking about how could England be playing Stones when he can't even get in Everton's first team, but it's not a problem for the Swiss with Shaqiri, and two - how come players in England who want a move throw the toys out of the pram and get what they want, but this bloke appears to be stuck at Bayern despite wanting a move? Probably says a lot about the attitude of fans and players in England.