Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Norway

Comments

• Really think shelvey should be in this squad, not just because he used to play for us. Playing well and regularly and can ping some quality balls. Gotta be better than Delph at least
  • Really think shelvey should be in this squad, not just because he used to play for us. Playing well and regularly and can ping some quality balls. Gotta be better than Delph at least

Would have to be worth a look and he seems far more suited to international football than Golden Boy Wilshere.

Whenever I see Shelvey play for Swansea he seems to be excellent at playing a deep lying role and keeps the team ticking over with crisp, accurate passing.

Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, unless you're in the big five or another establishment club like Everton then you don't get much of a look-in, tonight's 17 players all came from the Big Five or Everton - only one did not, Fabian Delph from Villa.
  • I'm sorry but Shelvey is not better suited to any type of football than Wilshere.
  • Still think Wilshere is better suited to the England team than shelvey (actually argued in favour of Wilshere when an arsenal fan thought shelvey would be better) but as someone to come on as a sub he is better than Delph and Colback without a shadow of a doubt.
  • vg normally agree , but jack Wiltshire is going backwards in his football progression, They offer completely different things, they play in different holes on the pitch, personally, Wiltshire for me needs to look hard at himself and wonder where domestically and internationally his career has stalled and why,

right now this England team from top to bottom is shit , it should now be a time we pick players based on league form on a game to game basis,

how townsend, chambers, jagellka, lambert, welbeck even though his impact was a highlight the list could go on got picked tonight I will never know

its a poor set up a shit mgr, who has failed at 2 tournaments and is offering the most dire football I have seen in years

40 years of hurt is nearly 60 and will be 80-100 before anyone realises
  • edited September 2014

vg normally agree , but jack Wiltshire is going backwards in his football progression, They offer completely different things, they play in different holes on the pitch, personally, Wiltshire for me needs to look hard at himself and wonder where domestically and internationally his career has stalled and why,

right now this England team from top to bottom is shit , it should now be a time we pick players based on league form on a game to game basis,

how townsend, chambers, jagellka, lambert, welbeck even though his impact was a highlight the list could go on got picked tonight I will never know

its a poor set up a shit mgr, who has failed at 2 tournaments and is offering the most dire football I have seen in years

40 years of hurt is nearly 60 and will be 80-100 before anyone realises

Yep they do have different roles but that's not what OA said.

Wilshere has been hampered by some really shit injuries. The beginning of last season he was unplayable at times, look at the goal against Norwich for example. Played very well up until March then he broke his foot.

However, he is still young. If JW can stay fit for a full season then he is one of England's best prospects, especially if he can link up a partnership with Henderson during England duties as I think they will compliment each other well. He has stalled in his progression but he's just 22. I think he will get better and add more things to his game.
  • under hodgson short ball playing footballers will waste their career, JW was such a prospect, but smoking, boozing living the life style is still an issue with him also, right now I see JW on the sheet and think so what
  • I'm sorry but Shelvey is not better suited to any type of football than Wilshere.

You may be right but as NLA says Wilshire (as pointed out by Paul Scholes) has gone nowhere as a player, if he doesn't start progressing soon then he is going to struggle to stay in the first team at Arsenal for very much longer.

Wilshere may have more talent than Shelvey but - putting the Charlton connection aside - whenever I see Swansea I see Shelvey doing a great job in midfield, keeping possession and pushing his team forward, nothing spectacular but playing a critical role and doing exactly the sort of job England need someone to do.

Whenever I see Wilshere I am never really sure what his role is supposed to be, sure he has nice technique at times (he had a couple of lovely touches against Costa Rica in the WC) but is he a playmaker? A box-to-box player? Goalscoring midfielder? Wide midfielder? Possession player? What is it that he is bringing to the table?

If Jack Wilshere were playing for Aston Villa and not Arsenal he would not be in the England team.
  • Wilshire should be dropping deep to receive the ball from the CH's allowing them to split wider and push the full backs on, with the ball skills Wilshire has, and his close control, range of passing he should be leading every counter, he is young enough to move around the pitch and be pivotal in following up the attack or break away he would've started, he does none of this, another wasted talent due to motivation, poor tactics and mgmt. of both football and player, in ten years time in a bar somewhere Wilshire will be telling all who will listen whats wrong with the England team
  • Sponsored links:

• It wasn't quite as bad as you'd think, a lot of neat football in the first half just didn't quite get a goal, atmosphere was pretty poor but as I said in OP, was great seeing Sterling and Sturridge play, Sterling was amazing and was my MOTM too. He's the hottest prospect in English football right now, him and Studge link up so effortlessly it was nice to watch. A shame there wasn't more goals really. Hart made a great save but he makes me so nervous and not totally convinced he should be no.1. As for Wilshere I think he played well in the first half, good link up and got forward well, faded out the game in the second though. Don't think Roy has found Hendo and Wilsheres role as a CM yet.

The beer was shocking too, sent back a flat one and the one I got after wasn't much better although they basically said it was the best they had, don't expect much less from Wembley. Mexican wave was doing my head in too just because I'm miserable like that. One positive of the low attendance was that my brother and I were able to move seats. We sat behind the goal to the right England were shooting in the first half and had a great view, but didn't fancy being so far away for the second half and due to the lack of numbers were able to walk all the way round the ground and sit level at the other goal, so had a great view for the pen. Quite comical to be able to do that at an England international I thought.

All in all, money...spent.
  • Also funny hearing Milner say to the lino 'Oh F### off mate!' when a throw in didn't go his way. I said the same to him when he pinged that ball out of play trying to make a pass.
  • Don't think I'll bother to watch the game today, then. Even the highlights seem like they'll be boring.
  • Last night showed how much even an aging and immobile Stephen Gerrard will be missed .. there was no controller, no old head in midfield .. Rooney should assume the Gerrard role. He's too slow and paceless now to be an effective striker at the top level but can still make a sweet pass and as captain (like it or not) he would be in the best position to nurture defence and attack .. Henderson as the anchor man .. no Wilshere, too immature, fragile and inconsistent .. Sterling playing behind Sturridge (less showboating please Mr S) and Welbeck .. Stones and Chambers in defence .. keep with this team for a few games Roy, ignore the press, that bunch of mainly neurotic parasites ....

Hart (or Forster) .. Chambers Stones Cahill Baines .. Henderson .. Rooney Sterling Oxlade-Chamberlain .. Sturridge Welbeck .. there are a few presently injured players who could make the frame later .. a t m, this is our best outfit, especially aimed at the future, not just the next week, month or year
  • they've dug themselves a hole really because the captain really isn't good enough to get in the current side.

Sterling is a far better player in his position.

Baines has gone massively backwards and our set pieces were awful.

Shows how much we will miss Gerrard in the middle
  • Second half was weak but I didnt mind watching last night. I like Henderson more every time I see him play and Sterling/Sturridge looked sharp enough. Good to see Stones put in some decent crosses and play with confidence. Considering how many players are injured at the moment, the fact is was a midweek friendly against Norway in front of a half filled stadium it wasnt as terrible as people make out.

I think people are going into these games with the wrong mindset to be honest. We're more of a Hull than a Liverpool on the international stage.
  • I've never felt as negative about the national team and English football as I have since Hodgson has been in charge. This is an excellent read and sums up exactly how I feel about it at the moment - http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/03/england-norway-raheem-sterling-international-friendly
  • they've dug themselves a hole really because the captain really isn't good enough to get in the current side.

Sterling is a far better player in his position.

Baines has gone massively backwards and our set pieces were awful.

Shows how much we will miss Gerrard in the middle

Yes, we really miss Gerrard giving the ball away.
  • Hodgson just doesn't come across as someone who will let players express themselves. I do think a new manager should have been appointed after the World Cup. Maybe there is just too much expectation on the manager.
  • Nug said:

Hodgson just doesn't come across as someone who will let players express themselves. I do think a new manager should have been appointed after the World Cup. Maybe there is just too much expectation on the manager.

I want him out but who do we replace him with? That's a depressing thought as well. Worryingly he can't seem to realise he's failing or at least won't admit it. Two quotes from him last night:

'Hodgson was prickly through his post-match media duties and was particularly infuriated when it was pointed out his team had mustered only two shots on target: the penalty and a shot from the substitute Danny Welbeck, which was saved by Orjan Haskjold Nyland. “Don’t give me that one,” he said. “Two shots on target? What about all the ones they threw themselves in front of, or the near misses? Don’t hit me with statistics.'

Delusional.

'“We’ll find it hard to bring attendances back to a very high level because of the opponents we’re playing in qualifying – they won’t be exciting the public,” said Hodgson, with games against San Marino, Estonia, Slovenia, Lithuania and the Swiss ahead. “They’re not the kind of teams who normally attract full houses.'

No Roy, people aren't turning up ayr Wembley because they don't want to watch your awful football, poor squad selections and outdated tactics.

God help us.
  • Sponsored links:

• I know it was a friendly , and i'm sure we'll turn up when it matters on Monday night in Switzerland , but we have got a mixture of some quite good , and some bang average players , call me unpatriotic , but i'm pleased i watched it on tele , rather than getting home at 1am and then having to get up to go to work.

I feel for the poor sods who paid to watch it.
  • Nug said:

Hodgson just doesn't come across as someone who will let players express themselves. I do think a new manager should have been appointed after the World Cup. Maybe there is just too much expectation on the manager.

I want him out but who do we replace him with? That's a depressing thought as well.
    I agree I have no idea who should replace him. I wonder whether we should just let someone like Gary Neville have a go, bit like germany did with Klinsmann?
  • I would be more than happy with G Nev.
  • Love the fact you get people saying they wont watch England because of the terrible football, yet they support Charlton.

Its not exactly been Tiki-taka here....
  • CAFCTrev said:

Love the fact you get people saying they wont watch England because of the terrible football, yet they support Charlton.

Maybe not, but the players at least care. You could also argue there's much more of an immediate emotional attachment to Charlton for most supporters.
  • Nug said:

Nug said:

I want him out but who do we replace him with? That's a depressing thought as well.
    I agree I have no idea who should replace him. I wonder whether we should just let someone like Gary Neville have a go, bit like germany did with Klinsmann?
    Maybe. Whoever ends up replacing Hodgson in two years time, I hope they're their own man and aren't afraid to be brave and make big calls.
  • CAFCTrev said:

Love the fact you get people saying they wont watch England because of the terrible football, yet they support Charlton.

Exactly , we've suffered enough!

• I know it was a friendly , and i'm sure we'll turn up when it matters on Monday night in Switzerland , but we have got a mixture of some quite good , and some bang average players , call me unpatriotic , but i'm pleased i watched it on tele , rather than getting home at 1am and then having to get up to go to work.

I feel for the poor sods who paid to watch it.

I don't. Should have more sense than to waste your money on England friendlies.
  • CAFCTrev said:

Maybe not, but the players at least care. You could also argue there's much more of an immediate emotional attachment to Charlton for most supporters.
    That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation. True in some cases, not in others. You're not telling me that Reza for example, cares more about Charlton than Steve Gerrard cares for England. By the same token, I'd argue that Johnnie Jackson cared more for Charlton than some recent internationals.

Bottom line is, it doesn't matter who the England manager is while the pool of available players is so small. You could have Bobby Robson, Alf Ramsey & Cloughie all rolled into one as England manager and they would struggle with the players that are currently available
  • edited September 2014

CAFCTrev said:

That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation. True in some cases, not in others. You're not telling me that Reza for example, cares more about Charlton than Steve Gerrard cares for England. By the same token, I'd argue that Johnnie Jackson cared more for Charlton than some recent internationals.

Bottom line is, it doesn't matter who the England manager is while the pool of available players is so small. You could have Bobby Robson, Alf Ramsey & Cloughie all rolled into one as England manager and they would struggle with the players that are currently available
    Agree, we all loved Poyet during his short spell in the first team last season, but he was pretty happy to drop us when more money was waved in front of him. Would you say he cared deeply for Charlton?