Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Voice Of The Valley

Have always purchased the magazine from the old days and including the resent restart but is it just me that is finding it more and more uncomfortable to read?Last season I was thinking it's just constant negatives against the new ownership and have just finished the latest one and have thought I'm not buying it again as even for every positive it will find a negative.I know my not buying it will not bother anyone or I doubt these comments but I was just wondering is it just me that feels this way?Up until recently I have always enjoyed this excellent magazine and was excited when it returned.

Comments

• Options
    OMG
  • Options
    No your not alone. Quite a few people i have spoken too feel the same. There are still some very good articles but one contributer comes across as being quite bitter.
  • Options
    Never got it in the past but since it's return I've bought every one.
    Always seems to come across as negative and always thought it was just me.
    Glad I'm not alone.
  • Options
    It's interesting that the editor is on here throughout August banging on about Koc, Nego, Reza and Piotr - how catastrophic the January window was. Meanwhile the rest of us are focused on Buyens, Vetokele, Gudmundsson and now Bulot!
    Just noise at this stage.
  • Options
    Thought the Cardiff 5-4 article was excellent. Weegie?
  • Options
    I think quite a few of the contributors/staff are of the old school and for whatever reason the new model of how the club is run doesn't sit right with them. Personally while I feel the change is/will be scary but work in the long run I can certainly understand why some people feel differently - the issue seems to be there is no fifth columnist/counter argument given much credence in the VOTV, so it can come across a bit slanted though generally the actual writing I do enjoy.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I will never buy that rubbish
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

- the issue seems to be there is no fifth columnist.

Move on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will airman get his two pennyworth in before the window shuts?
  • Options
    Still a great read. Will always buy, unlike the programme!
  • Options
    I enjoy it very much, it gives a different angle to much of the goings on at the club. I can see why some would see it as being negative however the people who put it together are some what more realistic than some poster's on this forum. The fact that many of the people who write for the magazine worked for the club gives the articles real authenticity. I would also add that those same people are Charlton through and through!
  • Options
    I actually thought the latest edition was much more optimistic than some of the editions last season (which were a bit gloomy), with cautious optimism for the future, which seems about right.
  • Options
    Well said AFKA
  • Options

Don't really know much about other clubs, but wonder if it is standard behaviour that you get so much sniping, politics, point scoring, contempt and dislike amongst supporters of the same club?

Hugely draining and demoralising imo

So people are not allowed to dislike the fanzine? it's opinion mate.
    I don't see it as sniping or contempt. The question was asked and people answered it .

I can't see a problem with that myself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Don't really know much about other clubs, but wonder if it is standard behaviour that you get so much sniping, politics, point scoring, contempt and dislike amongst supporters of the same club?

I don't see it as sniping or contempt. The question was asked and people answered it .

Could be wrong but I think the snide comment about "contributers" (sic) is the issue rather than the opinion on the content of the magazine.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    LenGlover said:

Could be wrong but I think the snide comment about "contributers" (sic) is the issue rather than the opinion on the content of the magazine.
    i'm not sure if the "snide" reference is aimed at me saying a contributor comes across as being bitter?
    It's what i think ( as do many others ) it's not being snide but If that the way it comes across then , so be it.
  • Options
    I've bought them and my Dad reads it all - he also reads all the program.

However, partly because I was a student when it was out the first time and I'm now a single parent, I don't seem to find the time to read most of the articles and because blogs and CL are immediate in terms of news I often find that I give up before I've read much of it. There comes a point where the articles just don't seem topical any more.

Back in the day the Voice was where I got the vast majority of club news, that is not the case, for me, any more. I know we joke about if it's not on the OS.... But these days if you come on here and you don't read about it, it hasn't happened!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    From the Bulot thread which quite rightly should be kept about Bulot!

What is baffling is that seriously_red started out on here with an obsession with surveys, to the extent that he appeared to believe that the trust's surveys were more accurate than the mass of data held by the club on where people lived.

The Trust engaged on a programme of surveys so as to ensure it wasn't just 20 men and their dog (g21!) telling the world what to think ... those surveys asked about fan demographics and what fans wanted from the Trust. Over 7,000 fans participated, many opting to become members or subscribers. Some powerful messages were communicated to the club over time. The overwhelming priority of fans was to build a relationship with the club which is why the Trust never engaged in anti Duchatelet rhetoric and never threatened a season ticket boycott.

He then moved on to quoting transfermarkt at every opportunity, not a source that I regard as very useful, but at least an attempt to understand things in terms of statistics.

I used publically available information (not stolen!) to call it and I called it early. The valuation of Buyens, Vetokele and Gudmundsson was so much higher that last years squad that it was clear that Duchatelet was ambitious for CAFC. I took some stick and your comment is patronising but so what. I recall your response at the time was to scoff at the valuation of Simon Church - in your determination to negate a source of information you missed the main message!

Incidentally Baheback and Delorts are valued at €1.5M - this is very relevant for this is clearly the type of player which M. Duchatelet is acquiring for us and Liege.

So when Bulot turns up valued £2.2M I'm thinking feck this, he's really going for it! Meanwhile you are banging on about Nego and Koc ... so last season don't you think? :)

I think you accused me of taking happy pills in one post and of "mindless optimism" in another - thing is that if we win at home to Watford then there's a good chance we stay top six for the whole of September. Why don't you back the club instead of talking it down all the time?

When it comes to attendances, however, he wants to disregard the statistical evidence, built up over many years, and suggests we might get a substantially increased home gate for a midweek game against Wolves out of thin air. We won't.

I actually agree with him that looking at numbers is key, but he doesn't seem to want to apply that approach to attendances. We are not going to move from 2-3,000 home match sales to 6,000 plus in the short term and we are not going to do it at all in this division without putting in the hard work that moves the numbers over time.

What the summer transfers have done is begin to create an opportunity to build up support again and personally I am positive about that, which I am bound to be because it's something I was involved in for more than 20 years and long before I worked for the club.

The question is whether the current club management understands that and is willing and able to do something about it, but it requires hard work and the application of what we have learned over many years, whatever the mechanism for delivering it might be.

It is not that any one individual has a unique insight - I have said many times that it isn't rocket science - but as in any business there is a store of knowledge based on experience that in Charlton's case has been discarded by people who neither understood the club nor cared about it, which is bound to be damaging.

The average home gate for 2012/13 is published at 18,499. I have not defined how that can be achieved but I think it reasonable that the club and fans aspire to return to this level and I agree it won't happen overnight. It would be helpful to know how that number was made up in terms of season tickets, match day walk ups, away fans and comps.

Trust between club and the supporters Trust will have to be built for there to be fans participation in all of the legwork outlined above. I'm glad we agree that success on the pitch will help - I wonder how fast and to what extent? On the other hand one option for the club is to simply continue acquiring players and pace their way into the Premier League where we all know the Valley should sell out again... then again without all of the ground work perhaps it won't. I don't pretend to know all the tricks but as you state, it's not rocket science. One thing I would say is that attacking club personnel in charge of delivery is not going to get the door open to a discussion.

Perhaps the club are busy and perhaps the staff experience of the last 12 months suggest to them that they simply don't need the potential grief of engaging with fan leadership - or self appointed gurus. Every time I read criticisms of CAFC staff on here I wince... for the staff are working for our club trying to get it moving in the right direction on all fronts. They really don't need to waste time with game players and politicians who will be all friendly one month and then snarl at them the next from behind their keyboards! This message board is read by 35% of the fans of all persuasions and it is also read by staff at the club. After March, April and all the allegations posted on here one would question their sanity if they did engage... after all the definition of corporate insanity is same people, same culture but expecting a different result.

So Airman you can publish articles about Duchatelet being the best owner ever but I'm afraid it's too little too late!
  • Options

I've bought them and my Dad reads it all - he also reads all the program.

However, partly because I was a student when it was out the first time and I'm now a single parent, I don't seem to find the time to read most of the articles and because blogs and CL are immediate in terms of news I often find that I give up before I've read much of it. There comes a point where the articles just don't seem topical any more.

Back in the day the Voice was where I got the vast majority of club news, that is not the case, for me, any more. I know we joke about if it's not on the OS.... But these days if you come on here and you don't read about it, it hasn't happened!

That's a great point, back in the 1990s I remember getting down to the now sadly departed Sportspages in Cambridge Circus as soon as VOTV was released and most of the stuff in there was totally fresh information because it was the only dedicated Charlton publication apart from the limited matchday program and the coverage we would get in the Mercury.

These days, of course, the Internet has changed everything and VOTV has to be more reflective than offering merely reportage because people have instant access to information and there is no point telling people stuff they heard about three weeks ago.

However, what most people don't have is the inside knowledge and contacts that Rick Everitt and some of his contributors have, and that is why VOTV holds such value for me because it offers insights and analysis that are not available elsewhere.

From what I have seen Rick offers contributors from across the range to express their views in VOTV and unlike many Editors publishes stuff that is critical of him personally, if people have a differing view to those published in VOTV then drop Rick a line and write an article or submit a letter yourself.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

i'm not sure if the "snide" reference is aimed at me saying a contributor comes across as being bitter?
    It's what i think ( as do many others ) it's not being snide but If that the way it comes across then , so be it.
    I chose your comment to quote because it most clearly illustrates the point I was trying to make being relatively short and to the point.

Namely a valid opinion on content together with a "dig." It's the "dig" I surmised AFKA was referring to. There are other comments in similar vein too but yours summed it up best for me.
  • Options
    Don't agree with the content, submit an article?

• Options

I actually thought the latest edition was much more optimistic than some of the editions last season (which were a bit gloomy), with cautious optimism for the future, which seems about right.

I agree with this, always buy it and haven't bought a programme for years (basically since the invention of messageboards / twitter etc)

don't agree with everything in it, but then I guess it would be boring if I did