Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• I'm surprised by lack of hindi and strength of tamil
  • This was in 2011 - any chance that by now English is the 2nd most spoken language in any London Borough ?
  • Duz dem peepol speek Inglish in Lundun Tahn den blud. Nah wot iy meen
  • Chizz said:

PL54 said:

This was in 2011 - any chance that by now English is the 2nd most spoken language in any London Borough ?

No

Could be heading that way though.
    I'm sure I read in everyone's favourite paper last week, that 57% of London's babies are born to mothers originally from outside the UK.
  • Chizz said:

PL54 said:

This was in 2011 - any chance that by now English is the 2nd most spoken language in any London Borough ?

No

I'm sure I read in everyone's favourite paper last week, that 57% of London's babies are born to mothers originally from outside the UK.
    Top baby boys name in London in 2013 was Mohammed.

• Chizz said:

PL54 said:

No

Lots of places outside the UK also speak English.
  • Chizz said:

PL54 said:

No

Im sure it wont be long

Tower Hamlets comes to mind

• Chizz said:

PL54 said:

No

99.9% of them will grow up speaking English. They may also speak another language too.

There are some adult immigrants who never learn English. Anyone born here or who arrives as a child speaks English.
  • se9addick said:

Chizz said:

PL54 said:

No

Lots of places outside the UK also speak English.
    True of course, it probably links in with my perception that a lot of our London's new arrivals are from eastern Europe and the commonwealth countries. Rizzo's post on the top baby boy name of last year helps reinforce that perception.
  • Sponsored links:

• PL54 said:

Does it matter?
  • edited September 2014

Chizz said:

PL54 said:

No

Im sure it wont be long

Tower Hamlets comes to mind

As a current Whitechapel/Mile End based worker, it really wouldnt surprise me to be honest.
  • Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

PL54 said:

No

Top baby boys name in London in 2013 was Mohammed.

Yes, based on a small sample "survey". But in the UK, Muhammed was the 29th most popular name in the UK in 2013

Oliver
    Jack
    Charlie
    Harry
    Oscar
    Thomas
    Jacob
    Ethan
    Noah
    James
    William
    Joshua
    George
    Leo
    Max
    Henry
    Alfie
    Lucas
    Daniel
    Dylan
    Finley
    Alexander
    Freddie
    Isaac
    Samuel
    Joseph
    Archie
    Muhammad
    Benjamin
    Lewis
    Logan
    Matthew
    Sebastian
    Jake
    Edward
    Zachary
    Aidan
    Luke
    Mason
    Riley
    Ryan
    Elliott
    Toby
    Reuben
    Adam
    Theo
    Connor
    Nathan
    Jayden
    Liam

• colthe3rd said:

PL54 said:

Does it matter?
    Yes
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

PL54 said:

No

1. English is the most-spoken language in the country
    2. English is the most-spoken language in every London Borough
    3. In this country, more people speak English as a first language than every other language put together
    4. In every London Borough, more people speak English as a first language than every other language put together
    5. Across London 22.1% of Londoners list a language other than English as their first language
    6. Among London Boroughs, the lowest level of English as a first language is Newham, where "only" 56.6% of people speak English as a first language. This means that, in Newham, all other first languages put together count for 41.4% of people.
    7. We are a very, very long way from having English as the second main language in any London Borough.

There are more than 80 languages in use in London, as a "main language". This is one of the best features of our great city.

Another great part of our city is that it remains - and has always been - a great melting pot welcoming people from around the world. Isn't it brilliant that 57% of babies born last year in London were to mothers born abroad and who want to raise their children in the greatest capital on Earth?
    No
  • PL54 said:

colthe3rd said:

PL54 said:

Does it matter?
    Yes
    Yes, of course it matters. People in London need to be able to converse in lots of different languages. Otherwise we'll end up with lots of people who can only speak one language (say, English) moaning that lots of other, multi-lingual people get preferential treatment when jobs are handed out. So smart people will embrace the change, roll up their sleeves and learn to converse in more languages!
  • PL54 said:

colthe3rd said:

PL54 said:

Does it matter?
    Yes
    Because?

I look forward to your one word answer
  • Sponsored links:

• Because I don't think that English should be a minority language in England or any defined region within it.
  • PL54 said:

Because I don't think that English should be a minority language in England or any defined region within it.

Hardly a minority language is it? Just because English may not be the native tongue to residents of certain boroughs does not mean they cannot speak it.
  • Chunes said:

Thanks PL54 for your typically stunning insight into the topic.

What insight have I previously offered into the subject?
  • edited September 2014
    Where is the Nepalese community in Greenwich mostly based? As a Greenwich borough resident I really struggle to believe that Nepalese is the second language in the borough.

The people who maintain the borough web site don't seem to be aware of this fact either.

royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/92/housing_allocations_-_registering_for_a_property/529/search_and_apply_for_a_home/2
  • I was in a Tesco store in Weybridge on bank holiday Monday and my son wanted the loo. So I asked a Tesco assistant on the shop floor where the toilets were, but she snapped back "I don't speak English, sorry" and walked off.
    "Ah, thanks very much" I said and went off to find another 'assistant'. It might be great that so many different languages are spoken here, but I don't think it unreasonable for newcomers settling and working here to speak English.
  • I was in a Tesco store in Weybridge on bank holiday Monday and my son wanted the loo. So I asked a Tesco assistant on the shop floor where the toilets were, but she snapped back "I don't speak English, sorry" and walked off.
    "Ah, thanks very much" I said and went off to find another 'assistant'. It might be great that so many different languages are spoken here, but I don't think it unreasonable for newcomers settling and working here to speak English.

Are you sure they worked there ? I'd be pretty surprised if a major supermarket would employ someone on the working floor that literally couldn't speak English.
  • All those European newcomers arriving in North America fell over themselves to learn Mohican, Cree, Shawnee, Cheyenne, Apache, Dakota, Huron, Pawnee and so on.
    Oops sorry, the European newcomers were more engaged in supplying Native North Americans with smallpox infested blankets.
  • edited September 2014
    Bet you're glad you asked @PL54
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!