Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How important are Clean Sheets?

edited September 2014 in General Charlton
Cue an innuendo or two.

We seem to be attempting, a just score an even amount to or one more than your opponents style this season.

We have scored 9 and conceded 7 goals in our first 5 league games?

(The stats are less scary if you add the C1 Cup. 13 scored - 8 conceded in 7 games. The league is what matters though!)

What do you think of that 7 goals conceded?

Obviously our goals scored is not too shabby so far, I just wish we could shut up shop a bit more convincingly.

Comments

• You mean, you think we should adopt a strategy of scoring more goals than we're conceding? Hmm... could catch on.
  • edited September 2014
    No I'm saying the lack of clean sheets will be more than a worry soon.
  • IMO dirty sheets can be a bit of a turn off.
  • edited September 2014
    Who cares about clean sheets, as long as we score more then the other team then job done. The open attacking football is so much nicer to watch then the shit boring football we have been served up over the last few years.
  • Can't scrape a 1-0 on a cold Tuesday in November if you concede every game.
  • Nicholas said:

Who cares about clean sheets, as long as we score more then the other team then job done. The open attacking football is so much nicer to watch then the shit boring football we have been served up over the last few years.

2012: P46 F82 Pts 101
  • Chizz said:

Nicholas said:

How many did we concede?
  • Its like in cricket "catches win matches" keeping a clean sheet will help with the win ratio we might actually win more 1-0 rather than a 1-1 so a defence that concentrates the the whole of the game play to the whistle so to speak
  • Dazzler21 said:

Chizz said:

Nicholas said:

How many did we concede?
  • It seems we are playing a more attacking style of football, which is better on the eye, last two seasons we were trying not to lose, more than win games.
  • Sponsored links:

• If you keep a clean sheet it is impossible to lose. You would then fancy yourself I get at least 1 goal with our attacking capabilities.

Obvious fact of the day number 1.
  • Chizz said:

Dazzler21 said:

Chizz said:

Nicholas said:

How many did we concede?
    Such a good season. How I miss Danny Green and Dale Stephens lol

Seriously though great season and an even greater GD!
  • edited September 2014
    There are three goals that we've conceded that stick in my mind: McMannaman's for Wigan, the very similar Wells goal for Huddersfield and Dunk's second for Brighton. What concerns me is that the defending for these was so soft. Also the fact that between them they have cost us four points.
  • edited September 2014
    VERY VERY rough statto says (probably incorrectly):

Across 46 games after this first 5 games -
    We will score 83 goals this season.
    We will concede 64 or 65 goals this season
    We will finish on 83 points.

If I could LOL my own post I would.
  • Football is about entertainment and that seems like what BP is trying to get from the team. I'd rather go to the Valley and watch us lose 3-2 than 1-0. If we average 1.8 goals a game, basically what we have now, we'll be fine.

Also worth noting we've played some very good teams and have played more away games than home.

I love the ambition the team is playing with, to go and attack and try to score. Feels great to watch attacking football back at Charlton, even under Powell we never played good passing foward football.
  • If you keep a clean sheet you're guaranteed at least a point and we don't seem to have too much of a problem scoring goals.

Most of the goals we've conceded this season our box has been filled with players looking at the highlights, so getting beaten to the box isn't the problem, our defenders just seem to lack the mettle to make the challenge or deny a player the space to take a shot. Obviously we don't want to give away penalties but even just denying opposition strikers the space to make a shot would do wonders.
  • They aren't if you always score more than you concede.
  • Dazzler21 said:

VERY VERY rough statto says (probably incorrectly):

Across 46 games after this first 5 games -
    We will score 83 goals this season.
    We will concede 64 or 65 goals this season
    We will finish on 83 points.

If I could LOL my own post I would.

Based on the first three Premiership games, Palace will reach the magic 40-point safety mark in their 120th match.
  • I reckon that if we kept a clean sheet and scored 3 goals in each of the remaining league matches we will stay up.
  • Very important, our striker (s) is not going to be able to score every game and some games inevitably wont be quite on the money - chances wont fall for us etc. So it is in these games when clean sheets become very important. I'm not too worried at the moment though still early days yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think they are very important. Goals conceded and goals scored are the headline statistics that show how well the two easily identifiable parts of your squad (your defence and your attack) are doing, the number of points you have shows how well the team is doing as a whole (which is why it’s the most important statistic). If you are conceding too many or not scoring enough then you have inefficiencies in your team and it means that the other part has to work harder, that will only work for so long. If you’re conceding too many then it’s fine for as long as you’re scoring enough to balance it out but over a 46 game season that’s unlikely to work out particularly well. Clearly in a single game keeping a sheet isn’t hugely important, but over a course of a season making sure your defence is working well is vitally important.
  • Fiiish said:

Most of the goals we've conceded this season our box has been filled with players looking at the highlights,

Take away the highlights until after the game to keep their concentration on the game and not the highlights?
  • Dazzler21 said:

Can't scrape a 1-0 on a cold Tuesday in November if you concede every game.

True but if you average less than one goal a game you are finished as soon as you concede one. I'd rather have goals in our locker than play for a 0-0 or a 1-0 if we're lucky.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Cue an innuendo or two.

We seem to be attempting, a just score an even amount to or one more than your opponents style this season.

I think this is not correct. You can't seriously be suggesting that if we go one goal up, we don't want to score again ?
    We are attempting to draw matches or only win by one goal ?

Perhaps, it's the fact that out of 5 games played, we've played 3 teams from last season's top 6 ?
  • Very important if your missus has been away for a week.
  • A couple of the goals have been a bit soft for my liking - both Brighton goals and Pope's unfortunate error against Derby - the own goal vs Brentford was probably avoidable too. A lot of this is probably Bob's background and mindset favouring zonal marking, which the vast majority of English/England-based players probably aren't exactly well-versed in, and once it sets in the mistakes will be cut out.

There is also the fact that our first choice keeper (who will have trained/practiced with the defenders) was injured and Pope, while promising, is just not quite Championship standard just yet I would say - not to mention through his own inexperience and Bikey and Ben Haim's superior experience he wasn't really able to boss them around in the box so much; we passed back to the keeper much less with Pope in goal, maybe on Big Bob's orders, but in any case does not suggest a surfeit of confidence on their part.

On the other hand, as long as we score more than we let in, it really doesn't matter - but twice we've seen good performances and a one goal lead wasted (Brentford and Brighton) and I for one was very relieved indeed to keep hold of the lead vs Derby.
  • Cheers @thenewbie, a decent response.

Dazzler21 said:

Cue an innuendo or two.

I think this is not correct. You can't seriously be suggesting that if we go one goal up, we don't want to score again ?
    We are attempting to draw matches or only win by one goal ?

Perhaps, it's the fact that out of 5 games played, we've played 3 teams from last season's top 6 ?
    No Covered End I'm not saying we don't want to but we do seem to rather unsuccessfully shut up shop once we've nicked a goal. Our possession, shots and goals conceded show that we aren't going at them enough after we score in my opinion.

However I've only seen us on a dodgy stream this season... and listened to the more negative commentator more than once!

I'll happily accept I'm wrong, maybe it'll just take a while for us to master this continental football!
  • I've seen 5 of our 6 games and I'd put the goals against down to a number of factors.

New goalies, both being less than perfect.

Wiggins being way below his best.

Solly being way below his best.

Zonal marking at Brighton.

More attacking style, leaves us more vulnerable at the back.

We've played the 3 play off teams, that weren't promoted and Brentford who I think are about 8th.

Bikey & TBH, at present, are undoubtedly playing better than Morrison, Dervite or Wood.
  • Our next player in needs to be a striker! Our back five look good but make mistakes for sure. But to me it's far more important we continue to improve up front.
    The defence can only get better with Henderson back and playing more games together.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Chizz said:

Nicholas said:

How many did we concede?