Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cousins fed up on the wing

edited August 2014 in General Charlton
After the Wigan game I bumped into an old mate of mine who happens to be a relative of Jordan Cousins. I mentioned to him that I remember Jordan saying to me, when he was about 13, that he'd be at another club by the time he was 18 - and asked if he could to tell him to stay put until he takes us to the PL. I put it down to naivety then, but according to this fella he really wants to move if he can't get games in the middle of the park. Having said this, he still reckons he should stay with us for another 2 seasons, but on the back of that I can't help but feel that after playing on the right last season, and looking out of sorts, he might be get be disenchanted on the left if he's wanting to develop himself as a central midfield player.

Comments

• Options
    Kipper23 said:

After the Wigan game I bumped into an old mate of mine who happens to be Jordan Cousin's cousin (genuinely!). I mentioned to him that I remember Jordan saying to me, when he was about 13, that he'd be at another club by the time he was 18 - and asked if he could to tell him to stay put until he takes us to the PL. I put it down to naivety then, but according to this fella he really wants to move if he can't get games in the middle of the park. Having said this, he still reckons he should stay with us for another 2 seasons, but on the back of that I can't help but feel that after playing on the right last season, and looking out of sorts, he might be get be disenchanted on the left if he's wanting to develop himself as a central midfield player.

He wont be LM much longer, unfortunately it will be the bench
    JBG Buyens Jacko Bulot
  • Options

JBG Buyens Cousins Bulot.

This.
  • Options
    I'm sure that's partially true, as he's a professional, but of course he'd put it like that publically
  • Options
    2 more years? What ever happened to footballers staying at a club I.e Totti and Gerrard?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

shirty5 said:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/11326777.Cousins_has_eye_on_central_midfield_return_after_Poyet_exit/

“I am a player that if I am asked to play somewhere I will because I am just happy to be playing.

“If I play central I am happy, on the right I am happy. I’m just happy to be on the pitch.”

Cousins added: “When I was on the right I learned a lot so now if I play centrally I know what the right midfielder expects from me.

“Obviously I do want to play in centre midfield but if the gaffer asks me to play on the right then I won’t complain.

“I’m just doing a job for the team.

Yeh but that's old hat Shirty, the OP has just spoken to Cousin's cousin :-0
    He's been done up like a kipper ;-)
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/11326777.Cousins_has_eye_on_central_midfield_return_after_Poyet_exit/

“I am a player that if I am asked to play somewhere I will because I am just happy to be playing.

“If I play central I am happy, on the right I am happy. I’m just happy to be on the pitch.”

Cousins added: “When I was on the right I learned a lot so now if I play centrally I know what the right midfielder expects from me.

“Obviously I do want to play in centre midfield but if the gaffer asks me to play on the right then I won’t complain.

No mention of playing on the left.
    I know this interview was from last season but we should be looking to have players who can read the game early. Should have known he was going to play on the left in 6 months time and mentioned he don't mind playing on the left too IMO ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

shirty5 said:

No mention of playing on the left.
    I know this interview was from last season but we should be looking to have players who can read the game early. Should have known he was going to play on the left in 6 months time and mentioned he don't mind playing on the left too IMO ;)
    Interview was 6/7 weeks ago, not last season
  • Options
    let's be honest what he says to the local paper doesn't necessarily reflect his actual feeling at all. He should be in the middle and is a liability on the wing.
  • Options
    The best game I've seen him play was his first full league game at home to Forest.

He definitely has weaknesses in his game, which come out in an abundance when pushed out wide. I personally would drop him to the bench.
  • Options

JBG Buyens Cousins Bulot.

Would like to see this but just cant see Jacko being dropped
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    RedChaser said:

shirty5 said:

Yeh but that's old hat Shirty, the OP has just spoken to Cousin's cousin :-0
    In fact he's heard Cousin's cousin cussin'.
  • Options
    I agree that Cousins is actually a bit of of a liability on the left and should be central with Yoni. Bob needs to bit the bullet with Jacko.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

2 more years? What ever happened to footballers staying at a club I.e Totti and Gerrard?

But they stayed at clubs that were their level! Unless we kick on massively then in 2 years if he's still with us he won't be fulfilling his potential...
  • Options
    I think with the players we have at our disposal are screaming out to be put in a 4-3-3 / 4-3-2-1 situation.

Cousins and Buyens could sit behind Jacko who'd have the freedom to get in his goal-scoring positions, while JBG, Moussa, Harriot and possibly Wilson would be perfect for making up the two behind/alongside Vetokele.

The fact we haven't got an obvious partner for Igor and that he clearly has the strength to play up front alone makes this even more obvious to me. I think we'd also see a lot more of the ball with an extra man in the middle and not get dominated possession-wise like we have of late.
  • Options
    @Norfolk_Addick Interesting he favourited that tweet, people try and favoruite stuff instead of RTing and think they can get away with it...not on our watch!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bob seems pretty set on playing 4-4-2, I think it'll at least continue that way for a while.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    He's not a winger, simple as that. Looked poor yesterday.
  • Options

I think with the players we have at our disposal are screaming out to be put in a 4-3-3 / 4-3-2-1 situation.

Cousins and Buyens could sit behind Jacko who'd have the freedom to get in his goal-scoring positions, while JBG, Moussa, Harriot and possibly Wilson would be perfect for making up the two behind/alongside Vetokele.

The fact we haven't got an obvious partner for Igor and that he clearly has the strength to play up front alone makes this even more obvious to me. I think we'd also see a lot more of the ball with an extra man in the middle and not get dominated possession-wise like we have of late.

Where does Bulot fit into this
  • Options
    Joe Gomez favourited a tweet form someone saying spurs should sign him .. Saw it other day
  • Options
    Think we all agree he's being played out of position on the left. A question of when not if Bob plucks up the courage to take a big decision and play Buyens and Cousins together in the centre.

Only other option is to fudge it by going 4-5-1/4-3-3 which would an option, especially away from home
  • Options
    Thing is neither Buyins and JJ are the future.

One is on loan and the other is 32.

Difficult balancing act to keep the younger player playing AND the team strong
  • Options

let's be honest what he says to the local paper doesn't necessarily reflect his actual feeling at all. He should be in the middle and is a liability on the wing.

Spot on.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Bob seems pretty set on playing 4-4-2, I think it'll at least continue that way for a while.

I reckon we should play five in the middle with Vetokele on his own playing him like we did with Bent in his first season.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Joe Gomez favourited a tweet form someone saying spurs should sign him .. Saw it other day

That's really disappointing.
  • Options
    I agree that Cousins is being played out of position but he needs to earn the right to be picked ahead of Jacko in the centre. His passing needs to improve and he has ample opportunity to do that part of the job properly when playing wide.