Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wayne Rooney Named England Captain

Not sure if there's already a thread on this. Not sure about it but hard to think who else could have been suitable and does it really matter who wears the armband?

Comments

• Options
    Siiiiiink...

...ign feeling about Roon dog as captain.
  • Options
    I can't see this ending well. Good luck Wayne.
  • Options
    Sorry, but after throwing his toys out of the pram twice with Man U over the last few years to get more money, I do not understand how Man U and England can make him captain. I think the captain should be someone who inspires the team and who they respect.
  • Options
    Gary Cahill for me
  • Options
    Cahill, Baines or Hart
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Sorry, but after throwing his toys out of the pram twice with Man U over the last few years to get more money, I do not understand how Man U and England can make him captain. I think the captain should be someone who inspires the team and who they respect.

Who else is there? The younger players will look up to Wazza
  • Options
    edited August 2014

ross1 said:

Who else is there? The younger players will look up to Wazza
    Only until one of them finds his nans false teeth in Rooney's wash bag!
  • Options
    Rooney is the biggest name in the squad but he isnt an inspirational player when in an England shirt. How the guy has continually been rewarded for his 'loyalty' by Utd and is now captain of both club and country is beyond me. The perfect example of an overhyped and horrendously overpaid English footballer
  • Options
    Should have been Cahill.
    Would even question if Rooney should start let alone be captain
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Should have been Cahill.
    Would even question if Rooney should start let alone be captain

Most of the country thought he should be dropped during WC and he didn't justify Roy's decision to keep him. Any captain should be in top three names on team sheet and if he is, Hodgson's days are numbed. Hasn't performed for years. Give him game time but not armband. Same applies to JJ.
  • Options
    England are about to go through a very rocky patch where we may not even qualify for the euros. Rooney has been awarded the captaincy, I assume, as he is now the most experienced England player in the current team and has the biggest status as a professional footballer. He is not captain material but wears the armband by default - that's bad news.
  • Options
    Terrific decision. He will do well as Captain