Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    Fantastic signing. The clubs moving forward
  • Options
    We all know if an offer comes in which is too good to turn down he will be off, so credit to JG in making sure we get that.
    I think it also shows all the academy players they will get a chance if they are good enough regardless of age.
  • Options
    In the 97-98 season, I remember Curbs being interviewed where he stated "this club's being run properly now". Yes, we were still a selling club, and our best young talent would inevitably move on. BUT - not cheaply, and perhaps when we were ready.

We had, after all, sold Lee Bowyer just two years before. But not cheaply, and the money went towards buying Kinsella, Mendonca (& also that we were under no pressure to sell Richard Rufus).

It all feels like we are on a similar track again, and that has to be good news. OK, so Joe may well be swayed by Chelsea (actually i think he's a Gooner), but he can't walk out of the door like Diego, and you never know, like the cherished Mr Rufus, he might well hang around for quite some time....
  • Options
    This is great news. If we can now get a decent hold up forward that'll keep us going to the window.
  • Options
    IMHO Poyet was never going to stay, his father sent him to us for a good training with the expectation that he would move on, I have no basis for this but it is alleged that the club made him a good offer but he still departed and his father, being a manager, knows how to play the system
  • Options
    Great news. Clearly a sensible young man getting good advice from his agent and family. Well done to all involved at the club.
  • Options

Excellent news, and the clearest possible signal to any talented youngster that signing for Charlton is a good thing to do. This club is being transformed with astonishing speed, not just with focused and effective investment but also with great intelligence and care. We are the Network Daddies !!
  • Options
    There now seems to be a pre poyet and post Poyet era at Charlton.

The direction at CAFC is becoming clearer, with the promotion of the academy being at the top of the agenda.
    Well done to KM for getting our best youngsters signed up and to their parents for seeing that 1st team opportunities exist at cafc before prem sides.

As Bob's remit was to keep as up, and 10 to 14th was the best that Roland expected this season, I hope we don't get to despondent if we don't chuck large amounts at getting the no 9 we all crave (I know it's not just me)

If we are mid table and two 17's are in our team come april that won't be too shabby, but we are only human and
    we always want more.
  • Options
    Fanastic news. This means that by the time Joe comes towards the end of his contract, I should've retired ...
  • Options
    Well chuffed to see this. Got a feeling Joe will not only go on to (regulary) play for a top 4 club, but will also become a permanent addition to the national team in the future. Unlike others that have jumped ship to "chase the dream", he seems to realise that the best way of getting there is by playing regular 1st team football.

When the time comes for him to step up to bigger things, not only are we likely to get a nice transfer fee, but he'll be doing so with the blessings of the majority of us fans............
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hopefully we can get Terrell Thomas signed up to a longer deal as well.

Bet he's a bit of bounder/cad.....
  • Options
    Oh I say........
  • Options
    He'll look great in the red of Charlton...

• Options
    In todays SLP , that Borussia Dortmund and Hoffenheim are tracking him!
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Scott Malone at left back, Joe Gomez at right back. Can't go wrong.
  • Options

sammy391 said:

Scott Malone?

Have I missed something?

• Options

sammy391 said:

Scott Malone?

Have I missed something?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2900641/Scott-Malone-chose-despite-Borussia-Dortmund-Cardiff-City-boss-Russell-Slade-revels-delight-signing.html
  • Options
    Scoham said:

sammy391 said:

Scott Malone?

Have I missed something?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2900641/Scott-Malone-chose-despite-Borussia-Dortmund-Cardiff-City-boss-Russell-Slade-revels-delight-signing.html

Thanks very much Scoham.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

A bit random! It's not as if German clubs usually spend their time scouting for young talent in England (Dale Jennings's career rather fizzled out after that initial promise)
  • Options
    Won the U17 euros with England so overseas club will be aware of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not thinking even for a second that we should sell but the big difference now under Roland is that we don't need to sell when the first offer pops up unlike under previous regimes. That alone means we get the proper price paid and not get shafted by the first Premier League club that takes a liking.
  • Options

Won the U17 euros with England so overseas club will be aware of him.

The track of young English players going abroad at that age is pretty poor though!
  • Options

Not thinking even for a second that we should sell but the big difference now under Roland is that we don't need to sell when the first offer pops up unlike under previous regimes. That alone means we get the proper price paid and not get shafted by the first Premier League club that takes a liking.

Roland out
  • Options

Remains to be seen though. We've not had offers for any young players since he's been here and Yann and Stephens were sold without too much of a fight.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Remains to be seen though. We've not had offers for any young players since he's been here and Yann and Stephens were sold without too much of a fight.
    Agreed although Dale wanted to get back up north and there is more to the Kermorgant transfer than most of us think.

My point is that we are not skint anymore. We are not forced to sell to survive as before. That's not to say we won't sell because that's I believe part of the business plan. Produce or buy value and sell at a profit.

I don't doubt for a second that JG won't be sold at some point but under Roland in my opinion it is far more likely to be on our terms rather than someone else's.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Both were out of contract too
  • Options
    He's the only 17 year old in the squad.

I did think he'd signed a new deal when I see this at the top of the page though.
    Why didn't you start a new thread? less confusion :wink:
  • Options

Just played the full 90 mins in England under 19's 3-2 win over Denmark

can't be many 17 year olds who have played the full 90 minutes for England under 19's

Thanks Paulie, where did you get the information from? He said he was playing in 3 matches, do you know when the other two are?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    ross1 said:

Just played the full 90 mins in England under 19's 3-2 win over Denmark

can't be many 17 year olds who have played the full 90 minutes for England under 19's

Thanks Paulie, where did you get the information from? He said he was playing in 3 matches, do you know when the other two are?
    saw him tweet this and looked on flashscore

Joe Gomez ‏@J_Gomez97 7m7 minutes ago
    Good win and start to the qualifiers onto the next game against Azerbaijan on sat