Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Excellent news.
    Roland really has given our club more stability. Hats off to him and all concerned.
  • seth plum said:

No ambiguity about the reaction to this, great news and well done the board and management.
    Top player and top person too.

An old school mate of mine taught him at Primary School. He returned there in September to speak to the kids, and he took time to speak with kids at a Community Trust course in the summer which my youngest took part in. Very impressed about how much this lad gives back, and exactly the role model kids need today.
  • Sky commented on the fact we showed a video of him signing

Charlton have given a new long term contract to 17 year old defender Joe Gomez. Not too many details as yet but they have tweeted a lovely video of him putting pen to paper.
  • Get in. Now we can sell him for millions!

I jest (a bit). Fantastic news and hoping to see a lot more of the likes of Joe and Karlan this season. Our academy is certainly in rude health at the moment
  • Fantastic news - well done to all at the club who have played a part in this exceptional young man's development, to Joe himself and to his family, who have clearly given him very good counsel.

Further encouragement to join, or stick with, Valley Gold !
  • What, did they put whisky in with his Weetabix this morning?
  • Fast becoming the Ajax or Barcelona of old London town! Fantastic news. We have a VERY good crop of defenders coming through especially with the lad from Man City joining us earlier this week. I hope the likes of KAG and Muldoon can make it too so we start producing all over the pitch.
  • Not that this means he won't be sold to a bigger team and sooner rather than later on current ability/potential. Just means we'll actually get paid for it this time.
  • Hopefully we can get Terrell Thomas signed up to a longer deal as well.
  • LenGlover said:

Excellent news.

Just hope there is not a catch like his injury at Norwich being career threatening or something.

bloody hell Len, piss on our chips why don't you
    I know it seems like that but in the programme on Saturday he was talking about being big mates with Kasey Palmer who defected to Chelsea which made me think he might do similar particularly in the light of Diego Poyet.

I am delighted he has signed but, after 50 plus years of seeing our best talents leave often cheaply, cannot help but wonder if all is as straight forward as we would like.

It's the Charlton fan in me I'm afraid!
  • Sponsored links:

• Its the best thing he could have done. loyalty to the club that discovered him and certainly the best thing for his career. Has a real chance to play regularly at the valley and build his reputation rather than be forgotten about at a mid size premier club. Well done Joe!
  • Good news .. from what I have seen, the young man could go on to be a star player
  • Fantastic news , thats made my day , well done Joe , well done Charlton.
  • Average news. We'll sell at the first decent offer.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Average news. We'll sell at the first decent offer.

Miserable devil, I bet you love life
  • Dazzler21 said:

Average news. We'll sell at the first decent offer.

The first decent offer came about five years ago.

He is a great lad and is superbly supported and advised by his family.
  • Really pleased about this. The lad looks like he can mature into a superb defender and I'm looking forward to seeing him furthering his career at Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Delighted with the signing.. could he perhaps play up top with Igor? you just never know! Seriously tho`Well done all at CAFC.
  • Great news, one of the best players we've ever produced. Credit to RD as well. Under the old owners, Gomez would undoubtedly have left by now.
  • Yes. Really good news. A bit better than how Diego's contract was handled.
  • Great news -thanks Joe and well done the club.
  • edited October 2014
    I love the youth policy that the club's embracing. Good luck Joe, looking forward to seeing you develop.
  • Brilliant !
  • To be fair to the last owners they did get a lot of other youngsters signed up on 2/3 year deals. Cousins, Pope, Harriott, Pigott, Lennon and Holmes-Dennis from what I can remember.

Poyet I think always wanted to keep his options open, I'm not sure he was ever likely to sign a long term contract with us.
  • Rob said:

Yes. Really good news. A bit better than how Diego's contract was handled.

A bit better than Diegos was handled by the Chuckle Bros you mean. No blame can be attached to RD for Poyets departure.

• Rob said:

Yes. Really good news. A bit better than how Diego's contract was handled.

A bit better than Diegos was handled by the Chuckle Bros you mean. No blame can be attached to RD for Poyets departure.

That's what I meant of course.