Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Would love to see more English players playing abroad. No reason why Joe couldn't make it out there.

Completely agree. And even if it's not Madrid, I think with his technical ability he could play football anywhere.

Think he'd do quite well in Italy, and undoubtedly learn a lot about defending as well...
  • SDAddick said:

I don't know what his injury/fitness status is, but it mus the disheartening to watch Can and Lucas play at CB ahead of you.

Regarding him not going out on loan, I think it was probably due, at least in part, to the fact that Liverpool had 150 games in January and early February. He would really benefit from the old "emergency loan" rule. Think he'd fit in well at Hudds actually...

Since they've been knocked out of the cup by Wolves (28th Jan) they've only played five games and i don't think he's even been on the bench for the last couple. But you're right about Can and Lucas and you could even add Milner at fullback.
  • SDAddick said:

I don't know what his injury/fitness status is, but it mus the disheartening to watch Can and Lucas play at CB ahead of you.

Regarding him not going out on loan, I think it was probably due, at least in part, to the fact that Liverpool had 150 games in January and early February. He would really benefit from the old "emergency loan" rule. Think he'd fit in well at Hudds actually...

Since they've been knocked out of the cup by Wolves (28th Jan) they've only played five games and i don't think he's even been on the bench for the last couple. But you're right about Can and Lucas and you could even add Milner at fullback.
    Yeah that's the oddity of their schedule. And when they were knocked out of the FA Cup on Jan 28, you imagine any serious Champo club would have their squad set, or at least wouldn't want to make room in the starting 11 for a 20 year-old coming back from an 18 month lay-off, which would have meant that wherever he went he wouldn't have been an automatic starter.

I'd noticed he hadn't been making the bench of late as well, which worries me a bit. But I think he's better off training with Liverpool, even if he doesn't get on the bench, than he would be on the bench at a Championship club.

Also, it may just be that, after such a long lay-off, he needs a long run up and he won't really be ready until next season when he'll have had a proper pre-season.
  • I'd imagine maybe they worried that if he goes out on loan the he might not be treated with the care that they want ie overplayed and over trained etc. Saying that, how he isn't getting a game when Liverpool have been so shambolic at the back is beyond me.
  • I'd imagine maybe they worried that if he goes out on loan the he might not be treated with the care that they want ie overplayed and over trained etc. Saying that, how he isn't getting a game when Liverpool have been so shambolic at the back is beyond me.

Kloop did mention exactly this when Gomez was returning to full fitness.

Surprised he has not had a look in since then, but maybe he has just not recovered sufficiently from his injury?

Surprised he has not had a look in since then, but maybe he has just not recovered sufficiently from his injury?
    There's an old adage (which I've never seen any scientific evidence to prove, but ho hum) that however long you're out for is how long it takes you to get back to where you were.

I remember the bits I saw of him when he was with us he at times used his pace to get himself out of trouble or to cover for mistakes (watching him win the U-17s Euros there was a bit of that, and a bit of using his strength). I wonder if that explosiveness hasn't come back yet, making his youth show a bit more. But he's only 19, and he had a lot very quickly at the start of last season, and hopefully it's just a matter of time.

Also, according to Wikipedia his middle name is "Dave," which I find quite amusing for some reason.
  • Sponsored links:

Kloop said that other managers would use him to their own selfish advantage without a care to his welfare, which ironically is exactly what (by his own admission) Karl Robinson did to Stephy Mavididi.
  • Is he actually fully fit at the moment?
  • Getting his body stronger? He has the physique of Anthony Joshua. Unfortunate injury but I don't think you can attribute that to his age. Laughed when Liverpool lost recently with two midfielders playing CB.
  • Getting his body stronger? He has the physique of Anthony Joshua. Unfortunate injury but I don't think you can attribute that to his age. Laughed when Liverpool lost recently with two midfielders playing CB.

Yes, getting his body stronger. That doesn't necessarily mean getting a larger muscle mass, that can mean developing his strength in his nerves, his ligaments and tendons.

Unfortunately, and I am not calling you anything, but this is where most people's understanding falls apart as getting his body stronger means a variety of things.
  • Sage said:

Getting his body stronger? He has the physique of Anthony Joshua. Unfortunate injury but I don't think you can attribute that to his age. Laughed when Liverpool lost recently with two midfielders playing CB.

Yes, getting his body stronger. That doesn't necessarily mean getting a larger muscle mass, that can mean developing his strength in his nerves, his ligaments and tendons.

Unfortunately, and I am not calling you anything, but this is where most people's understanding falls apart as getting his body stronger means a variety of things.
    Sage said:

Getting his body stronger? He has the physique of Anthony Joshua. Unfortunate injury but I don't think you can attribute that to his age. Laughed when Liverpool lost recently with two midfielders playing CB.

I take your point but at what nearly 20 his body has grown all it has to. No way can his lack of game time be down to protection against injury. He is a stranger to the Pool 1st team.
  • Not ready for Liverpool let alone Real Madrid. His injury, sadly, will have set him back more than people think
  • edited March 2017

Sage said:

Sage said:

I take your point but at what nearly 20 his body has grown all it has to. No way can his lack of game time be down to protection against injury. He is a stranger to the Pool 1st team.
    Not sure about that. A few years back I discovered my old leather jacket that I used to wear in 1978 (when I was 22), and I almost literally couldn't get it on. This was more of a shoulders issue than a beer belly one!
    And look how Andy Murray has developed in his twenties.
  • Sage said:

Sage said:

But again, after his long lay off with injury, including a set back they weren't anticipating, he would still be going through a programme to get him back to a level he was prior his injury.

He may be fully developed in the sense of growth now, and yes he is physically strong, but you sometimes have to look deeper than his large muscle mass of which he has had since a young age.

They have to treat him with care and strengthen his nerves, ligaments, tendons, and other soft tissues. Turning more type I muscle fibres into type II in order for him to regain that explosiveness he had before. This is where England is so far behind other nations such as Germany and Italy.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Sage said:

Sage said:

Not sure about that. A few years back I discovered my old leather jacket that I used to wear in 1978 (when I was 22), and I almost literally couldn't get it on. This was more of a shoulders issue than a beer belly one!
    And look how Andy Murray has developed in his twenties.
    Agreed, don't most men still develop physically into their mid 20s, hence the average 19/20 year old being really skinny, while someone in their mid 20s tending to be a bit beefier

The flip side of this is that after this stops, you keep eating the same beer and kebabs diet and turn into a fat bastard in your late 20s!
  • Sage said:

Sage said:

Male body develops untill 22. At 19 he still has some growing and changing of shape to do.
  • Unless he's one of those bodies that stops at 18. Reallly what do we know from just watching from the terraces?
  • Sage said:

Sage said:

Male body develops untill 22. At 19 he still has some growing and changing of shape to do.
  • Which will go straight in Roly's pocket
  • On the bench today against Burnley
  • edited June 2017
    Another reason to make Brighton my go to club for when I'm desperate to see footy this year. (And they're closer than Charlton)
  • Hope he fully recovers from the injury - Brighton are getting some player there.