Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

DIY Issues - stripped phillips screw heads

Trying to change our toilet seat. It is d-shaped and has top fitting bolts with phillips screws. Both screws are stripped.

Have tried WD40 and various screwdrivers. Won't grip or budge at all.....

Anyone got any tips or tricks to try?

Comments

• The description is a bit confusing. I take it you are using a flat headed screw driver for the stripped screw and a phillips (cross head screw driver with the phillips screw head. A pair of pliers to hold the nut at the back ?

Try coca cola, can work with bolts / screws and nuts to help give a little bit of give. Pour on and leave for 15 to 30 mins. By the sound of it on the bolts on the back and the screw head on the top would be good to try. After applying the coca cola, try to turn into the screw to tighten (clockwise) just a tad before going counter clockwise. It can help free things. Try not to damage the head of the screw or you are truly knackered.
  • Sorry for the confusing description.

The screws are phillips. The heads are knackered. Screwdriver won't bite.

Am reading about drill bits which are designed for this but don't know if they work.
  • Try cutting a slot with a hacksaw and use a flat head screwdriver, that works
  • vffvff
    edited August 2014
    If you can't see the cross head head of the screw and it is round (in the middle), then the screw is knackered. If there is some left then I would still try the Coca Cola and put you weight into the clockwise turn before the turn back. Try to put your force onto the screw downward and get as best grip as you can. For rusty / greasy / stuck nuts and bolts Coca Cola can work. It is always a surprise but I have seen it unstick things that just won't budge. Got to leave it for 15 to 30 mins though for it to work. I would never fancy drinking the stuff.

Good luck. Don't know so much about drilling the thing out, maybe someone else can advise on that.
  • As vff says, not sure what the problem is. If it is the screwdriver slots in the top that have been rounded out, try using a screw/stud extractor. Drill a small hole into the top and screw the extractor in (it has a left handed thread) Once it "bites" it will start to draw the damaged screw out. You can get the extractors from Screwfix (no pun intended!)
    You say Philips screws, but they could be Pozidrive. Wrong screwdrivers wreck the slots.
  • The screw driver slots are rounded out. Definitely not pozidrive.

Will have to try the extractors.
  • Sorry Clem, you clarified the problem while I was posting my previous comment.
  • edited August 2014
    What do the screws screw into Clem?

Is it a steel nut or a plastic one. Or is the thread actually in the toilet?

If they're plastic and you can reach you might be able to cut them with a junior hacksaw.
    Had to remove my toilet completely from the wall to get at the seat fixings a few months back!
    Literally a pain in the a**e!
  • The delights of Bank Holiday DIY, i do all my own now after the last builder i hired turned up on a horse and wearing a stetson
  • Drill the heads off. It might be hard to get Easyout/screw extractor into a screw on a toilet seat.
    Be brutal with them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Some good advice here @Clem_Snide‌ sounds like a crap job :-) good luck and keep us posted on progress.
  • The delights of Bank Holiday DIY, i do all my own now after the last builder i hired turned up on a horse and wearing a stetson

Well, you did tell him you wanted a pony.
  • Agree with charltonkeston, drill the heads off no faffing about! Mind that you don't over drill it and crack the bowl!
  • Try a rubber band in the screw head, which gives the screwdriver traction on a rounded head.
  • Very easy to crack the toilet(speaking from experience) .So go gently
  • Or if you really want to make a mess, get the angle grinder on them.
  • Have a big dump then ask your missus if she can have a look at it and come up with any ideas.
  • Don't bite your nails afterwards.
  • Sorted. Hacksaw, chisel and an immense amount of swearing.

Managed to lever it up and saw through the screws.

Did think it was going to be an @carly burn situation with the toilet removed from the wall!

Thanks for the other tips.

If it breaks again we're moving!
  • Proper Charlton Life thread - fascinating!

• Sponsored links:

• LoOkOuT said:

Try a rubber band in the screw head, which gives the screwdriver traction on a rounded head.

Does this actually work?
  • Glad you fixed ,made my otherwise boring day
  • LoOkOuT said:

Try a rubber band in the screw head, which gives the screwdriver traction on a rounded head.

Does this actually work?
    Depends to what extent the screw head is knackered. I've had success using a rubberband a couple of times. It's the first thing you should try before you start getting more brutal instruments out.
  • edited August 2014
    Next time don't buy a toilet seat with metal screws. Boys tend to splash and urine is a right bugger for causing corrosion. If your new seat does have metal screws, smear a bit of vasaline/grease over the heads to give them some protection.........................and make sure you aim inside the pan in future. ;-)
  • Take a 4 pound sledge hammer to the situation
  • Next time don't buy a toilet seat with metal screws. Boys tend to splash and urine is a right bugger for causing corrosion. If your new seat does have metal screws, smear a bit of vasaline/grease over the heads to give them some protection.........................and make sure you aim inside the pan in future. ;-)

To please the wife i always put the seat down after,to please me i always leave a little piss on it

Well, you did tell him you wanted a pony.
    He told him he wanted to pay a pony
  • 316 stainless steel screws, you can splash all over them.
    As used on boat salty fittings.