Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Derby vs Charlton| Tues 26th Aug 2014 | Capital One Cup | Match Preview and Predictions

Tuesday sees another round of Capital One Cup football as Charlton travel to Derby County in what will be the second time the two teams have faced in each other in the space of a week.

Despite the Addicks’ brilliant 3-2 victory against the Rams last week, Tuesday will be a totally different occasion, but should be an interesting contest nonetheless.

The Opposition

After the defeat to Charlton, Derby responded in fine fashion by thrashing Fulham 5-1 at the weekend thanks to a brace from Chris Martin as well as goals from Jamie Ward, Craig Bryson and Simon Dawkins.

The Rams beat Carlisle 2-0 in the last round of the cup, but despite facing League Two opposition, Steve McClaren’s side didn’t rotate their squad too much in that fixture.

If McClaren is to rotate more on Tuesday night, then the likes of Leon Best, Lee Naylor and Real Madrid loanee Omar Mascarell could feature.

PLAYERS TO WATCH:

Derby:

Derby’s player to watch in midweek is striker/winger Jamie Ward. If the ex-Sheffield United attacker does start, then he’ll certainly be one of Derby’s key men if they want to progress into the next round. He has been in great form for the Rams, scoring three goals in his last two games.

His two goals against us last week can be see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qtgJipt2o

Charlton:

The Addicks’ player to watch this Tuesday is Joe Gomez. The Academy graduate has looked superb so far this season in the games that he has featured. The 17-year-old is likely to start at right-back and if he can show another impressive performance then he’ll certainly be in Bob Peeters’ thoughts ahead of the trip to Brighton on Saturday.

The Line –Up:

It’s likely that Peeters will opt for some more rotation changes in midweek, to keep his players fresh for Brighton next weekend.

In goal, Nick Pope should continue following a great display at Huddersfield although Stephen Henderson may be fit enough for a place on the bench.

In defence, the back-four that started against Colchester two weeks ago may be selected again. That back four was: Gomez, Morrison, Bikey and Fox.

In midfield, Callum Harriott should be given an opportunity on the left flank, Lawrie Wilson is likely to occupy the right while Yoni Buyens and Jordan Cousins will most likely be in the centre of midfield.

Upfront, one of Igor Vetokele or George Tucudean will lead the line with Franck Moussa most probably playing just behind. However, Simon Church will also be pushing for his first competitive start of the season.

The Prediction:

Derby will want revenge for the defeat last week and unfortunately, I can see them serving it in a cold, dark iPro Stadium.

1-0 Derby.

Comments

• I can't see anything other than a loss for this one.
  • Charlton victory on pens after hard fought 0-0 draw.
  • My mate who lives in Derby and has been a season ticket holder for donkeys years says Mclaren is taking this competition very seriously, and will field his strongest team. In this instance and wanting to get revenge from last week, I can only see a 3-0 defeat...
  • 224 away fans
  • Will be interested to see the attendance for tomorrow.

Derby have made the most expensive ticket at £7, so will be disappointing if they do not get 10k
  • 2-0 Derby - if we're lucky.
  • I really can't see us winning this one 2-0 to them.
  • Rest some players and a respectable loss
  • Am going to buck the trend and go for a positive result. This Charlton team doesn`t lay down and they know how to score goals. This one goes all the way 2.2 after 90 mins.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2014
    Just listened to BBC Radio Derby interview with Steve McClaren ahead of tomorrow's match and he said there will be changes to his line up so that he can give other players in his squad some game time. So both teams likely to shake it up a bit and maybe outcome not so clear cut as some are predicting :-0
  • Hoping we put out a strongish team and give it a serious go, which i suspect we will as Bob does not seem to do playing for a loss, plus we are unbeaten this season so lets keep that going as winning or not losing is a habit.
  • BP's Red and too much White Army to win Penalty Shoot Out.
  • More important that we won the league game against Derby last week. 3-1 Derby tomorrow
  • Hope we are not interested at all in risking our already thin squad.

How many we lose by will depend on how Derby view the fixture.

3 - 0
  • Would like to see piggy played in the George role up top with Vetokele... I think bobs style of play will suit his game better and we may see a different player to last year!
  • 3-2 Charlton
  • Pope
    Gomez
    Morrison
    Bikey
    Fox
    Wilson
    Cousins
    Moussa
    Harriott
    Church
    Tucudean

2-0 defeat
  • 2-1 defeat & Derby go to Anfield in the next round.
  • Revenge will be bittersweet for them. Can't see us getting anything here, it's a strange set up but we won the one we really wanted to, anything here would be a surreal bonus. Kudos to those travelling to this one, almost seems a bit of a non-entity.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think this will be our toughest game so far, do we really throw everything at it, or hold back something for Saturday? It will be interesting to see how we play after Hudders game I think it will be tight, and we could win, but although I hate it when we lose, I would rather win Saturday, but we could go to penalties tomorrow.
  • First round I wanted Bob to play a strong side as I felt the new players should have as much game time together as possible.

Completely opposite now. Couldn't give a monkeys about this. Send the U21s and make sure everyone else is ready for Brighton.
  • Be very interesting to see how Bob Peeters treats this game and then who he picks.

Be great to have a good Cup run and even better to progress to the third round while putting down a marker for the rest of the season.

A key indicator of intent will be the centre backs. We'll know Peeters is serious if he plays Ben Haim and Bikey-Amougou. Gomez will play and perhaps Fox too, but I suspect that before long they'll be pushing hard to start regularly anyway.

Resting Jackson would make sense while creating the opportunity to try Cousins alongside Buyens. Add Gudmundsson and Vetokele and we'll be more or less at full strength.

Derby start clear favourites, but it's important we make a game of it and I'm sure that's what Peeters will aim to do.
  • Pope
    Gomez
    Morrison
    Bikey
    Fox
    Wilson
    Jackson
    Buyens
    Harriott
    Moussa
    Tucadean
  • This game doesn't matter a jot. It should be use to give game time to the squad players like Fox, Morro, Church etc. I would not risk injury to people like Buyens, Gudmunson, Vetokele. We will probably get stuffed. Playing our reserves and taking a beating will not upset our momentum so much as playing the first team and losing would do. And there is always the chance that we might surprise ourselves.
  • 4-4 after extra time 7-6 on pens! Oh hang on........
  • 2-0 defeat unfortunately
  • Henderson( if fit).
    Gomez
    Morrison
    Ben Haim
    Fox
    Wilson
    Cousins
    Buyens
    Harriotts
    Moussa
    Tuchadean.

Subs Pope, Wiggins, Jackson. Church, Vetokele, Bikey, Gudmundsson.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0