Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alcorcon - a perspective from Madrid

As a Charlton fan living in Madrid I will be looking out for Alcorcon (and hopefully getting to some games) this season and will post about how they are doing. First time contributing to the forum but long term reader.

Alcorcon kick off tomorrow night away to the recently promoted Albacete. It is on TV here so will get a good look at the team. The Segunda Liga is going to be tough this year with big names like Osasuna, Real Betis and Valladolid. After finishing well clear of relegation last year with a strong end to the season, Alcorcon will be looking to avoid a relegation battle this year. They are possibly the smallest team in the league though with one of the smallest grounds and fanbases, so realistically it is a challenge at this level, especially with their illustrious neighbours dominating the support base.

There seems to be quite a bit of suspicion about the intentions of the network, but any investment is welcomed. Will keep the board updated about events both on and off the pitch!

Comments

• Options
    Look forward to you reports, CM
  • Options
    Make sure you wear your Charlton shirt to the games.
  • Options
    Cheers CM; interested to hear how they get on. Enjoy the season.
  • Options
    Cheers mate. Keep flying that Charlton flag :-)
  • Options

Make sure you wear your Charlton shirt to the games.

This!

• Options
    Dome games?
    Don't say they have moved into the 02?
    What a liberty.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Couldn't find an edit button hence 'dome games' instead of 'some games'! Will definitely be wearing the Charlton shirt on visits to the Santo Domingo stadium :)
  • Options
    I'm up on the coast near Barcelona, and I'll be honest, the smallest team in the segunda this year has to be Llagostera. They only had 4000 capacity at home last year, and this year they'll be playing their home games in Palamos.
    Good luck with Alcorcon. Were you there when they knocked Madrid out of the Copa?
  • Options

Thanks everyone. Couldn't find an edit button hence 'dome games' instead of 'some games'! Will definitely be wearing the Charlton shirt on visits to the Santo Domingo stadium :)

Welcome.

The edit button is on the top right hand side of each of your posts You only have a certain amount of hours to edit tho.

• Options

I'm up on the coast near Barcelona, and I'll be honest, the smallest team in the segunda this year has to be Llagostera. They only had 4000 capacity at home last year, and this year they'll be playing their home games in Palamos.
    Good luck with Alcorcon. Were you there when they knocked Madrid out of the Copa?

Wasn't here for that famous game as just been here for two years. Have watched a lot of football in that time though, mostly Atlético and a third division team called Puerta Bonita.

Saw Leganes beat another Catalan team, L'Hospitalet, in the third division play offs to go up to the second. Decent standard skill wise at that level but I reckon most players would find the physicality of the English Championship difficult, as well as the weather!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Wasn't here for that famous game as just been here for two years. Have watched a lot of football in that time though, mostly Atlético and a third division team called Puerta Bonita.

Saw Leganes beat another Catalan team, L'Hospitalet, in the third division play offs to go up to the second. Decent standard skill wise at that level but I reckon most players would find the physicality of the English Championship difficult, as well as the weather!
    No Getafe ? - i always visualise them as similar to Charlton .
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Getafe are a strange team - really expensive to watch and quite hard to get to from city (they are in another town on the outskirts). Still managing to stay in La Liga though with about 5000 average crowd. Compare that to 80,000 plus at Real and almost 100,000 at Barcelona and it is a very unequal league!
  • Options
    Got a link for the fixture dates? Might try to get along to Huelva when they play there.
  • Options
    Flashscore.com have it down as 5th October but I imagine that is the general round for the weekend with the actual day and time to be confirmed (probably without much notice!)
  • Options
    I saw an excellent game at Alcorcon in April 2011, when they beat Tenerife 3-2. A Sunday noon kick off and it was very hot sitting in the sun behind the goal, albeit with the benefit of a cooling beer. Mikel Alonso came on for the last 20 minutes for Tenerife. We met a couple from Manchester (City fans) who had retired to Tenerife and who spend a lot of their time travelling around Spain watching their games. I guess there are worse ways to spend your twilight years, although Tenerife went down at the end of that season to the darkness of Segunda B.

There were some quite tricky and skilful
    players in this match but I agree that most of them would probably struggle with the physicality of the Championship.

The day before, on the Saturday, we saw Getafe v Seville at 6, followed by Real Madrid v Barcelona that night. We also watched a youth game that Saturday morning and caught some Premier League action Sunday afternoon, so, all in all, a most satisfactory weekend of football.

Will be interested to hear, in due course, what the locals at Alcarcon make of Roland and his network.
  • Options
    Alcorcon? How tall is he?
  • Options
    Read the attached on the BBC site the other day. This seems as good a place as any to link it. Young English lad, playing for Elche, but loaned to Alcorcon for this season. Nice story of persevering and working hard to get himself into the game in a foreign country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28259902

Let us know how he gets on CharltonMadrid and looking forward to the reports.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Nice article and will look out for him. Would be great for English football if more players tried their luck abroad, though in Charlie's situation it was more about his family moving to Spain when he was a boy. Hopefully he and Alcorcon will do well tonight.
  • Options
    Similar to another Charlton connection - Eric Dier - whose family moved to Portugal when he was young. Made his name at Sporting & now back with Spurs & scoring winners against WHam! :)
  • Options
    @CharltonMadrid‌

I try to do a weekly roundup of the results of all the network clubs, posted on the Trust website and then linked on here on "monitoring the RD network thread". I just put up the results, where it leaves the club in the table, plus anything else of interest to us (e.g how long Ajdarevic lasted before he was subbed:-)). I would like to put up the attendances too, but it is hit and miss whether the websites I use actually post them. If you get extra info I will edit that into the roundup
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PragueAddick - Monday's papers here have the attendance, lineups and player ratings so will try to put that up each week. I keep an eye on the Czech league as well as I lived there ten years ago. Used to mainly go to Viktoria Zizkov and Slavia before they moved to their new ground.
  • Options

PragueAddick - Monday's papers here have the attendance, lineups and player ratings so will try to put that up each week. I keep an eye on the Czech league as well as I lived there ten years ago. Used to mainly go to Viktoria Zizkov and Slavia before they moved to their new ground.

Whooah. Viktoria Zizkov. In my first year in Prague I was dragged down there on a Sunday morning when there was still snow on the ground after the winter break. The game was held up for 10 minutes because the sausage griller had gone out of control and the smoke was drifting across the pitch.

Great, looking forward to getting all the Alcorcon news.
  • Options
    1-0 to Alcorcon, David Rodríguez 26 mins
  • Options
    1-1, Albacete goal on 39 mins
  • Options
    Currently letting me down on my treble (Monaco, Udinese, Alcorcon)
  • Options
    2-1 up on the 55th minute
  • Options
    2-1 Alcorcon, Carlos Bellvis 54 minutes. Very entertaining game!
  • Options
    Oh yeah baby
  • Options
    2-2, Albacete goal on 77 mins.
  • Options
    Scumbags