Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bent in U21's

TT
edited September 2006 in General Charlton
dissapointed but not surprised really... Bent hasn't quite scaled the heights of last season's form yet and Mclaren doesn't rate him particlarly highly if his non appearance from thebench is anything to go by in last few games.

Comments

• I am pleased will hopefully get him to knuckle down & try harder for us.
  • So far this season he has justified McClarens's sceptism.
  • What are the rules regarding over age players in the U21s?

Bent is 22 now isn't he?
  • really ?

what has he got ? 4 goals in a side that has struggled to create chances !
  • missed numerous sitters V Carlisle and didn't have a sniff at Villa. Drop him and bring in Lisbie.
  • How times have changed! Bent in so-called "bad form" is about x4 more prolific than any of our other recent strikers!!!

I think once JFH begins coming off the bench and we go 4-5-1 or a partnership is sorted between Bent and another once we get our full squad available, Benty will be knocking 'em in again. To have 4 goals in this run of games with the service he's had, whether some are penalties or not, is good form in my book!
  • League: only one open play goal - others were 2 penalties (which were very well taken)
    The fact that we are not playing very well cannot really be used to advance his cause.
    He is well behind AJ at the moment I'm afraid.

Plus of course there is thing that he never scores against the top clubs.

All about to change of course :-)
  • Although compared to Defoe, Bent has been prolific. I fucking hate Mclaren anyway. It appears he deosn't rate Young either.
  • Much as love Benty and dislike AJ the fact is the ex-Nigel deserves to be ahead of DB in the pecking order at the moment. DB needs to start getting some goals from open play. We've created a fair few chances in several games this season and he's uncharecteristically missed them. Great to see Scott Parker in the squad though.
  • I have nothing against Johnson. I think he has done superb since his move, and is a better player than i previously thought.

However, i think he is going to be one of those great club players who doesn't quite make the step up to international level. A fantastic worker, but at international level its played at a very different, more considered pace where outright work effort can go wasted. What you need is that little bit of nous / guille, and i'm not sure he's got that.
  • Sponsored links:

• I cannot believe some of you are critical of Bent. Are you on a bloody wind up. He is having to do the running of two players because of the day dutch man.
  • Agreed, Bent should have the key to Charlton Village, not only for the goals he scored last season, but for his attitude and commitment to the Club thus far. I think he's brilliant and deserves every bit of our support, because he's more than capable of being the highest scoring Englishman once again this season.
  • I think the problem Bent has as far as the England set up goes (apart from Charlton's lack of form this season) is that he doesn't really fit into any of the existing striker pigeonholes. Defoe is the obvious little nippy goal poacher substitute for Michael Owen, and if Wayne Rooney's not fit/suspended then Johnson is probably the closest combination of pace and aggression, even if he falls over a lot more easily. And Bent is just far too short for the gangly nuisance role that Crouch fulfils.

Unfortunately, I think the last World Cup was probably Bent's best chance for a while of getting a proper run out for England. It's just a shame he didn't get the chance cos Sven was being a muppet.
  • It's better that Bent gets a game at U21 and a start than sits on the bench or doesn't even get on the bench. With Rooney back, Crouch scoring goals plus Johnson in good club form then Bent is going to be at best fourth in the pecking order and more likely 5th after Defoe.