Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Early on, but three games in how high are expectations

I know it's early but I've written a blog about the great start - http://www.thefinalthought.net/football-league-championship/2014/8/20/5e6r1nk9pc635os5ynvij1tg3fuxom

Would love to know what you think and what your expectations are for the season

Thanks,

Scott

Comments

• Optimistic - top half with maybe a squeak at a play-off place.

Realistic - solid season without the dramas of last season's relegation fight. I believe we are a work in progress and have every hope we will build season by season and reach the Prem within 3-5 years.

Minimum - survival ( the 'realistic' above would fall on its arse if we were relegated)
  • Expectations are at least top half, a couple more quality players and we could do the play-offs.
  • gone up to finishing 12th-16th
  • I have said this a few times over the past 15 hours or so, After beating 2 teams who last year finished in the play offs, it is very hard to keep expectations low, but I think we need to try, we all saw Blackpool last year after their great start

But saying that I still think we will finish 6th

I agree Paulie, not quite sure why that warranted a LOL! (I'm guessing for the last line?)

We've taken on two pretty strong teams, and put 3 past a side that hadn't conceded yet. Against a newly promoted side, in our first competitive 90, we were very unlucky not to walk away with 3 points..

Mentally we seem stronger than last year, going 3-1 up against a side expected to be promoted.. And then pushing for a fourth. That's been unheard of recently.

Physically we seem quite a fit side, some good pace in the team with a solid back 4. Admittedly, I would like to see a clean sheet though.

Our style of play is very elegant, lots of short passes with balls being played in to space; brilliant link up play between players who haven't really gelled yet.

We have a manager who expects good football; his comments after last night were interesting regarding the first half - he wasn't happy.

We're also rumoured to still be buying - giving our squad some much needed depth.

Off the pitch there's been clear signs of intent with regards to overall investment.

So yes, there are some incredibly good signs coming out of the valley at the moment - and if these signs form turn in to some momentum then we could very well be in for a great season.

Personally I'd like to be happy with a midtable/top 10 finish; its hard not to eye up the top 6 though...
  • I've gone from we'll stay up to we'll finish comfortably mid table.

We've got a team here though, so maybe I should dare to dream, although not before the Huddersfield game.
  • There is a feel-good factor after the first three league games that is undeniable. But I am certainly keeping my feet on the ground for now. As always avoiding relegation is the minimum but we look like a side that should be looking upwards soon rather than downwards. I think this question should be asked after the regulation first 10 games are played. If we are also still in the market for further quality squad acquisitions then that will also influence forecasts but still too early to expect anything other than survival.
  • Very, very early days so far but I'd be surprised if we were relegated.

If forced to make a prediction at this stage I'd say play offs but that is not an 'expectation'.
  • I think we have a strong first choice starting 11 that could match any side in this division. The fear i have is i do not feel there is the strength and depth in squad of the same quality once injurys/stroke suspensions creep in. 8th to 12th for me.
  • The last 2 seasons have been exciting in terms of league drama, yet dull in regards of entertainment.

I'll happily swap them around this season.........................
  • Sponsored links:

• Still have no idea. We have a strong starting side, but our fate will depend heavily on our strength in depth.....And that will depend on whether we can bring in anyone between now and the end of the window. The likes of Wilson and Morrison are very fine back ups to have, but it is that striking department that needs bolstering.
  • Top half would be a great season, although there is a new found optimism inside that thinks we are only a couple of signings away from the play offs being a genuine possibility.
  • Take it game by game to save possible dissapointment.

We have goals in our team. That appears to be the most positive thing...we can now feel confident about us scoring more than the opposition even if we concede.

Out-doing the likes of derby, a highly regarded champ side tipped for promotion.

Looks pretty positive to me...so far

• Feet a planted firmly on the ground.

However, it is difficult not to get excited. We have so many things that are better than this time last season.

Two ball playing, powerful centre-backs - one of whom is a proper enforcer.

A box to box midfielder who is very comfortable on the ball. An international winger who even though he isn't (imo) up to full speed looks a class act.

And in Igor we have a forward who scares the crap out of defenders. Strong and lightening quick. Even with 2-3 mins to go he still has the ability to switch the afterburners on and easily out pace centre backs.

A lot will depend on injuries as the squad still looks a little thin. Bring in 2-3 players - striker, and two midfielders and I really think we could go places.
  • edited August 2014
    Here's another question. If any of our players play well enough to attract clubs with bigger budgets, will they be sold off in January? Standard Liege transfers in in 2013-14 so far 6 million euros, transfers out 27 million euros (according to Soccerway). I'm not predicting or trying to be provocative, just saying the next transfer window could be a key indicator of RD's strategy for CAFC, at least for this season. It will obviously depend on our league position.
  • The players have settled much better than some predicted, and better than I expected myself in all honesty. But an even more pleasant surprise is how Big Bob seems to have hit the ground running - CP came in from some stick (some fair, some not) for his seemingly defensive/late subs but Bob seems to be making good moves - Wilson off the bench vs tiring defences will be lethal.

I reckon mid-table, comfortable survival but the squad seems just a little thin to be serious play off contenders.
  • My attitude is one game at a time. At least until the season starts taking shape anyway. A lot of factors can change things. Injuries and transfers being two of those.

On current evidence we're looking good though. Let's enjoy the ride whatever happens.
  • 10th
  • Play - Offs.

• Runaway champions. The invincibles mk2.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'll still be happy with midtable. Few injuries and we're a much lesser team, as we don't have the depth that other teams do.

Next year could be the big one.