Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope Dilema

Confidence can ruin a goalkeepers career, I hope Nick can recover from last night.

You could tell that Derby were targeting him, trying to get him to panic

Pope needs to get more games under his belt, so that he can build on his self-belief. In a perfect world Big Bob should show his confidence and play him on Saturday, but this is a results business, what if he has another “mare “and costs us the game.
This may destroy him as well as harming the team.

I'm sure Huddersfield watched last game and marked him as a possible weakness in the team.

If Bob doesn’t pick him this will also affect his confidence.

It’s a toughy for the youngster. I really hope he can come through it stronger

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I think your spot on and it is a tough call.

He is a strong character with an experienced defence if Henderson is not fit I would play him
  • Options
    You're correct, such a tough decision for Bob here.

Popey looked a bag of nerves when the ball was on the floor at his feet yesterday and Derby were targeting him which eventually did lead to the error.

Be interesting to see which way he goes with this one.

Will mention the impressive catch in injury time from Pope to relieve a bit if pressure and help run down the clock. Took big courage from Pope to react to the error like that - hopefully an early sign that he will be mentally strong enough to put it behind him.
  • Options
    I would play him too but would still bring in an experienced goalkeeper..

tomasz kuszczak?
    Paddy Kenny??
    Manuel Almunia???
  • Options
    Good OP. Sums it up nicely.

Think Pope will turn into a good keeper but just wondering what Ben Hamer or Rob Elliot are doing on Saturday and whether they fancy a month back in the capital?
  • Options

He'll come good. Can't understand some of the negative comments about him last night. Yes, he made a proper howler for their second goal, but he'll learn from that. Other than that, I thought he had a decent game. A bit nervous, but he's a young lad making his league debut (for us) in a big game.

Bob has banged on all summer that he's happy to blood the younger players, to help with their development if they show the potential and the right commitment, so he's come through at the right time in my eyes.............

Spot on.
  • Options
    Goalkeepers learn through mistakes, he will make plenty more in his long career and no doubt potentially worse.

But last night was his first Championship start against one of the best teams in the league. He has done more right than wrong so far in both the Wigan game and last night.

Keep him in, build his confidence and make Henderson know he has to work hard to get back in the squad.

• Options
    If a 'keeper makes a mistake it looks bad and is often fatal.

Just a shame that his mistake was on his full debut when he was under the spotlight.

The lad did well for York last season so can definitely play. Even last night he made a couple of reasonable saves and dominated his area.

I'd ignore it.

• Options
    Pope's confidence was a bit knocked last night, but keepers will make mistakes, Joe Hart drops the odd clanger, we all remember Schmeichel taking out Kim Grant in 1994! It's about how you react, I'm sure Ben Roberts will be working closely with him today to build him up again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stick with him.
  • Options
    He'll come good. Can't understand some of the negative comments about him last night. Yes, he made a proper howler for their second goal, but he'll learn from that. Other than that, I thought he had a decent game. A bit nervous, but he's a young lad making his league debut (for us) in a big game.

Bob has banged on all summer that he's happy to blood the younger players, to help with their development if they show the potential and the right commitment, so he's come through at the right time in my eyes.............

yep!
  • Options
    Think Bob Peeters needs to stick by him (I would too) especially after his post-match comments where he said Pope was only human and would learn from his mistake (and would play Saturday if Henderson isnt fit)

I think after saying that and then dropping him Saturday for a loan keeper would harm his confidence a lot more than if he was to play on Saturday

(Not just that but the fact that I'd prefer Charlton to use their available "Loan slots" on other position)
  • Options
    A lot of the praise for him so far this year has been largely based on what he achieved in League Two. There was one game I think last season when he came on for us where I thought he looked a bit shaky.

He has one hell of a boot on him but it does seem a bit hit and hope. He has quite a lanky, awkward style about him which doesn't fill me with confidence.

And before anyone starts, yes I know he is young and has time to improve etc etc
  • Options
    Stick with him, as Bob said he is only human. I was impressed that he still came and collected a cross after his mistake and if you saw his body language once it went in he was gearing up the team straight after and encouraging us, in contrast to Ben haim who had his hands on his head lol!

Stand by him, young keeper and will only improve. Distribution wasn't great last night but that's only one performance and i think it will be hard to find a keeper that could spray it about as well as Hamer anyway.
  • Options
    God bless the Pope.

He will learn from last night.
  • Options
    As long as he's a good catholic stick with him
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Poor kid. Leave him alone for Christ's sake!
  • Options
    Is his kicking normally that bad or was it just nerves?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    An ironic aside to this is that York's goalie also had a mare last night and was subbed for tactical reasons not injury at half time. Maybe the best solution would be for Nick to have a season long loan at Bootham Crescent as their number 1 and we bring in a Paddy Kenny type replacement.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/yorkcityfc/news/11419938.York_City_boss_Nigel_Worthington_on__hard_decisions__after_switching_keepers_in_2_2_draw_with_Cambridge_United/?ref=mac
  • Options
    Ouch!!!

cutting for the lad (quote from a Derby forum)

Charlton look a decent side, think they will definitely get top 12 this season. Impressed with their no. 14 (striker) and the defensive pairing of Bikey and Ben Haim. They have definitely benefited from the link with Standard Liége. However, their Joey Essex lookalike goalkeeper was obviously dodgy - we should've looked to test him much more.
  • Options
    He made a mistake. He will learn from it and will become a stronger goalkeeper for it. Stays in goal for the Huddersfield game for me
  • Options
    On another issue I do not recall people being as charitable to Thuram after his howler against Middlesbrough . if he had made a similar mistake he would have been crucified.
  • Options
    Hes made a cock up and as with all bosses the best thing Bob can do is say 'dont worry about it, I still trust you' and keep him in for Saturday. He's got plenty of talent.

He didnt cost us any points which will hopefully mean he wont beat himself up too much. A quiet word in his ear to forget about it and crack on and prove his ability on Saturday may even steel him enough to produce a superb display beyond what he may have done if he hadnt let their second in last night. If he goes out there with a point to prove and dominates then nobody will remember the Derby goal.

Its funny how these things work out, keep him in and let him show his ability.
  • Options
    Oh, and Paddy Kenny? Unless we are trying to boost the pie sales he shouldn't be anywhere near our club.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

On another issue I do not recall people being as charitable to Thuram after his howler against Middlesbrough . if he had made a similar mistake he would have been crucified.

Indeed, but Pope can catch unlike Flappy Bill from Liege.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

That's because it wasn't just about Thurams mistake, he was a poor keeper all round with astoundingly poor technique for a pro keeper and he could not cut it in England.

Pope on the other hand is promising and at least he can catch a ball.
  • Options
    It was a clanger yes, but all goalies have that type of abberration - it happens.
    no different to a striker shinning one from 8 yards - shouldnt happen but does.

It would be more worrying if he was constantly out of position, or nervous coming out for a cross or being beaten at near post all the time.