Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

STATBANK - Charlton 2-1 Wigan

Many thanks to the 108 Lifers who gave their marks, the averages are as follows:

Buyens--------- 7.83 MoM
Bikey------------ 7.70
Cousins---------- 7.40
Ben Haim--------- 7.38
Solly------------- 7.09
Gudmundsson----- 6.96
Moussa---------- 6.78
Vetokele--------- 6.71
Tucudean-------- 6.06
Jackson---------- 6.00
Henderson------- 5.92
Wiggins---------- 5.65

more detailed stats are here: image

OPTA Stats
OPTA provide statistical information to the world of football but they do not allow individual access to this information, but the information is available from a web site called Squawka. Aquawka show the OPTA information from a game and also compute their own Player Performance Score which I have included in the stats. As this score gives our MoM a score of -1 I have included below details of how this score is manufactured.

What Is The Squawka Player Performance Score?

The Performance Score is a measure of a player’s ability to positively influence a game of football. The more positive influence you have on the ball, the higher your Performance Score. The more negative influence, the lower your performance score.

The Performance Score is an advanced algorithm that takes every recorded on-ball action on the football pitch, evaluates its outcome, pitch co-ordinates, playing position of the player and the preceding event.

So how does it work?

In simple terms, the algorithm takes each on-pitch action, processes it and allocates it a score. The performance score simply adds all these scores together.

The Performance Score is broken down into 3 components; attack, defence and possession. The attack aspect takes all the attacking events into consideration (shots, crosses, take-ons, etc…)

The defence aspect scores defensive actions (e.g tackles, interceptions, etc.) The possession component scores passes, through-balls, etc…

The algorithm scores each event independently. Each on-ball action has a base score, this score is then multiplied by an Execution Qualifier, Outcome Qualifier, Player Qualifier and Area Qualifier.

Actions: 28 types Including passes, shots, saves, take-ons, clearances, fouls, tackles, cards, interceptions, blocks, key passes etc.

Execution: 942 Combinations Left foot, right foot ,head, swerving, strong, weak, volley, half volley, long ball, through ball, set piece, assist, length of pass, individual skill, flick on, forward, backward etc.

Outcomes: 2 Possibilities Success / Failed

Players: 4 Types Goalkeeper, Defender, Midfielder, Forward

Pitch Areas: 13

The overall outcome is an algorithm calculated using over 500,000,000 data points.

Players who have had an average game over 90 minutes can expect a score of between 10 and 20 points. A minus score indicates a poor game and a score over 50 shows the player is performing well.

Unlike most rating systems, which give scores out of 10, there is no limit to how many points a player can score (positively or negatively) on the Squawka Player Performance ratings system. They are as good, or as bad as their involvement, influence and skill allows.

Comments

• Tackles won 36%
    Possession 45%

both of those stats surprise me
  • Overall, it seems we are fairly good at assessing our players' performances.

Only we were far too generous to Buyens, and far too harsh on Wiggins.

If you trust Opta, of course.
  • Interesting that Wiggins marks from Opta are almost identical to Solly's...
  • Eight players with c. 6.75 or above is excellent vs a team who were in the play-offs last time - I'm sure these players will feature heavily throughout the season. We've seen all the comments around those scoring 6...and that is where we will see whether Peeters can coax better performances and/or secure additional players such that the whole team scores around 7.
    Scores for the rest of August will be interesting and lining up a trip to Brighton off the back of this start!
  • I was going to quote your initial post Lancs, but that would have taken up another page. Is it me, or are Opta taking this all just a little too seriously???

I still like my football to be fun :-)
  • edited August 2014
    TelMc32 said:

I was going to quote your initial post Lancs, but that would have taken up another page. Is it me, or are Opta taking this all just a little too seriously???

I still like my football to be fun :-)

Opta provide the information, it is up to each of us how seriously we take it. The football is fun I hope, it just depends how far you want to take it after the final whistle.
  • I think the present regime at Charlton take it quite seriously...
  • I think the present regime at Charlton take it quite seriously...

Totally this!
  • Seriously red you do realise that these stats are completely subjective and are based on completely different people watching the game.