Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Buying varifocal glasses in the UK

So, here in Prague went to a recommended independent optician, very thorough test, was there nearly 2 hours in all and they waived the fee (£16- cheap by UK standards) in the hope I will buy the glasses from them.

However they would not be cheap. With their recommended Rodenstock lenses It looks like around £550.

My British buddy who managed Grand Optical here told me to check them out. Good advice, they have a promotion which means with the same Rodenstock lenses the price would be £380.

But of course I'm aware of all the price hype in the UK and I am over for a few days in September. But of course the websites don't tell you everything.

I think that in Specsavers case I need to add the varifocal lens price to the frame price. So for decent stuff - comparable to what I was offered today - the price would seem to be around £250. Vision Express seems to be cheaper , maybe £180.

Seems like big savings, but I am sure there are catches, which is why I am asking. For a start I read quite a lot of criticism of Specsavers varifocal lenses, made by Pentax. Cannot even find out who makes VE's. But Rodenstock has a good rap.

Then I am not sure how long they need to make varifocals. I suspect longer than my six day visit which includes a weekend. And then I read that many people need to return for adjustments.

So maybe the seductive headline savings are an illusion.

What would you do, in my shoes? And would you go back to the independent place I went to this morning? Superior service, one of the guys there is British, too, but is it worth £170?

Thanks for all thoughts

Comments

• Options
    speccy twat.

hope this helps.
  • Options
    I got my varifocals from specsavers, took about a week from my appointment to collection, so that might be pushing it if you only have 6 days. They will do the intial adjustments when you pick out your frames (before lenses are fitted) but some extra adjustments are sometimes needed when they come back. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to waive this and possibly get them sent out to you though and if you did need any further adjustments (which is usually just shaping of the arms) you could always take them somewhere local to have this done.

Certainly not aware of any hidden cost or catches. They just tell you the price of the lenses and the frames and you can normally get a pair free too.........
  • Options
    I've got varifocals from Specsavers. I can't remember the cost but I think it was about £250 all told. I've no idea what make the lenses were, it didn't even cross my mind that I could ask that; I just assumed they were Specsavers. It took me a long while to get used to them, but now that I have I don't have any complaints, other than that looking forward to the day when stupid little lenses go out of fashion so that I can get a huge pair of goggles where I don't have to have three different lenses crammed into an inch of glass.

I have heard that some people save money by just getting a prescription from the opticians and sending off for glasses online. I've no idea of the quality of cost of this though.
  • Options
    Richard you really need to go to ..... Asda. Honest .
  • Options
    @Stig‌

The guy today told me that with varifocals it is better to choose bigger frames. So a small advantage for me of being an old git, and not needing to be cutting edge.

Read about the online option but sounds a bit dodgy, and personally I don't like the ethics of it. The opticians can't have a viable business on tests alone.
  • Options
    @PragueAddick I'm also an old git and have no need to be cutting edge, but there's just no choice of bigger frames to be had :-(
  • Options
    Stig said:

@PragueAddick I'm also an old git and have no need to be cutting edge, but there's just no choice of bigger frames to be had :-(

That seems odd because out here a lot of fashion- conscious people seem to have big frames.

• Options
    Praguey, I am fully signed up to the old git brigade. If you are looking for value Asda is the place to go, forget about the Wal-Mart links view it as a redistribution of wealth. £99 for a pair of "designers" with all the extras thrown in and not paid for by the public via the Olympic stadium.
  • Options
    See plenty of guys wearing the Michael Caine style frames these days. I certainly agree that the bigger the frame, the better for varies. They really didn't suit me though........................

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I use varifocals and use Vision Express. Last pair was a year ago - I can't remember how much they cost but that probably means they weren't too expensive and I did get a free pair of prescription sunnies.

I like Vision Express as they always seem to have state of the art testing kit. HOWEVER where they are let down for complex stuff like varifocals is the "Express" bit. Took a week for mine to pitch up in the shop.
  • Options
    My experience of glasses and contact lenses is you get what you pay for. I am happy to pay that bit extra as I know the quality will be there and they are likely to last longer. If I were you Prague I'd stick with the Rodenstock from your place in the Czech Republic. At least you know they are decent and if you need any adjustments/changes you know where to go and it's unlikely they'll charge you any more for the service.
  • Options
    Prague your prescription also will be a major factor. I am in the practically blind old gist group so my prescription is more expensive lenses but also rarely held in stock so time to get them is extended.

By the way why not add a tint to the lens ... Rose coloured .. It makes life seem to be so much better.

Good luck with the specs.
  • Options
    Cheers all. Classic dilemma. Part of me says, blimey go to Asda, and then think what else I could do with the extra £400 saved. Part of me says @Brendan_O_Connell is right. Especially if you work out the price per day over the probable life of the glasses. I'm writing this with the reading glasses I got 12 years ago out here. People told me I had been done like a kipper because I forked out big time, in a panic that I needed to do the best for my eyes. What smart people do, they said, for a simple prescription anyway, is just buy several sets of cheap glasses which you leave around in various locations. Started to do that. But they all break or become useless. While these Philippe Starck frames are still going strong and only replaced lens once when i scratched it. Hmmm.

Anyone actually got varifocals from Asda?
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Cheers all. Classic dilemma. Part of me says, blimey go to Asda, and then think what else I could do with the extra £400 saved. Part of me says @Brendan_O_Connell is right. Especially if you work out the price per day over the probable life of the glasses. I'm writing this with the reading glasses I got 12 years ago out here. People told me I had been done like a kipper because I forked out big time, in a panic that I needed to do the best for my eyes. What smart people do, they said, for a simple prescription anyway, is just buy several sets of cheap glasses which you leave around in various locations. Started to do that. But they all break or become useless. While these Philippe Starck frames are still going strong and only replaced lens once when i scratched it. Hmmm.

My last 2 lots of varifocals have been from Asda - 2 pairs for under £150 on both occaisions ('thin' lenses included). My prescription changed before any problem with the glasses; 3 - 4 years between prescriptions (and the old frames are still ok).
  • Options

Well obviously I did! I am not a fan of Asda and was expecting the experience to be cheap and not cheerful but they were very good and include the thinner lens and tint as standard. The glasses have lasted really well, better than spec savers and expensive ones bought in Spain so nothing not to like in my opinion! With the £400 you save you could buy a season ticket or rent my (4 bed) *house in Spain for a week!

*apologies for shameless marketing