Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Virgin media

Comments

• Options
    adsads
    edited September 2015

MrOneLung said:

What can't you do now?

I seriously won't waste yours and my time. I'll be here all bloody night.
    Can understand the frustration, but have you tried ringing the 'big baps monthly' subscription hotline to see why they've scrambled the service, maybe the debit cards out of date, or is the betamax plugged in instead of the box?
  • Options
    Yes I have owned a Sky Plus box. I had no trouble with that either. But decided to change to Virgin Media as they offered me TiVo for nothing. I also have broadband and contract mobiles with them. I have to say I have never had a problem with them and any questions that I have asked they have come back with the answer. I am certainly paying less than I would with Sky.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    ads said:

MrOneLung said:

What can't you do now?

Can understand the frustration, but have you tried ringing the 'big baps monthly' subscription hotline to see why they've scrambled the service, maybe the debit cards out of date, or is the betamax plugged in instead of the box?

I have rung Virgin on quite a few different occasions. There answer every time is " have you tried turning the box on and off?"
    Straight out of the Jerry Seinfeld' fixing things 'manual!

I tried getting a film for my two boys on demand yesterday. Service not available. So I try Netflix. The wheel of death spins to 80% and just sits there. Watched a DVD in the end and I really was Mr popular!

I absolutely f************** hate everything about the Virgin media TV experience. The box is slow and full of loads of options that are completely pointless. The choice of catch up TV is abysmal and I've lost count of the amount of times I've spent an age navigating the search system only to be told" that show is not available, but we'll tape it for you next time it's on.

I think my will to live went up into the loft with my sky box! ;-)
  • Options

ads said:

MrOneLung said:

What can't you do now?

I have rung Virgin on quite a few different occasions. There answer every time is " have you tried turning the box on and off?"

I tried getting a film for my two boys on demand yesterday. Service not available. So I try Netflix. The wheel of death spins to 80% and just sits there. Watched a DVD in the end and I really was Mr popular!

I absolutely f************** hate everything about the Virgin media TV experience. The box is slow and full of loads of options that are completely pointless. The choice of catch up TV is abysmal and I've lost count of the amount of times I've spent an age navigating the search system only to be told" that show is not available, but we'll tape it for you next time it's on.

Its infinitely superior to Sky's offering BUT Virgin are still at the mercy of the Rights holders and they don't take any prisoners.
  • Options
    Hex said:

ads said:

MrOneLung said:

What can't you do now?

Its infinitely superior to Sky's offering BUT Virgin are still at the mercy of the Rights holders and they don't take any prisoners.
    How does that make it superior then?
  • Options

Hex said:

ads said:

MrOneLung said:

What can't you do now?

How does that make it superior then?
    In volume terms.
  • Options
    Yeah. Plenty of channels to see what was on the previous week. Only thing is you can't actually watch most of them. Toilet.
  • Options
    I have the option to go to Virgin which looks like a great deal, at least in financial terms. At the same time I could migrate to Sky, which I have been a customer with for about 12 years.
    Like most I have the Sport and film add ons. I have a BT line, and that is the issue. Having an old Apple mac set up, although I have the so called 'high speed fibre' registering about 80mb download. The issue is that last year, the broadband kept on going down, and well trying to speak to the IT department, let alone customer services was shall we say not fit for purpose.
    Of course I want a good deal, but far and away what I want is a stable ISP, and good quality TV. Sky also with some relish inform me that 'my' sky box and dish are well mine, and therefore if they go wrong..... hard luck. So despite being a customer of BT for more decades than I like to think about, I need a good stable, and UK based IT support and customer services. I understand that BT are in the process of bringing back there customer services, to the UK, but frankly there providers for engineering 'Outreach' are both unaccountable to customers, which is why I would rather not go with Sky, as they use outreach. Personally I get the impression once they have you as a customer you are screwed, and locked into the contract, and trying to speak to someone from BT , after the 'we are very sorry sir' and get a resolution to obtain what you pay for seems to be near on impossible, even for a moaning old git like me?
    And boy have I 'moaned' to BT!.......
  • Options
    I have used Virgin (and previously all the way back to NTL) for years. Package includes broadband, tv including TiVo, and phone. Recently upgraded router to an extremely fast Super Hub.

In my area (Bexley) I have had very little problem and any issues have been resolved quickly. My son uses their broadband in Charlton and has same positive experiences including very fast internet access.
  • Options
    To give this balance and just so you don't think I have some sort of Virgin vendetta,I should add that I have both virgin broadband and calls and both are fine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I have the option to go to Virgin which looks like a great deal, at least in financial terms. At the same time I could migrate to Sky, which I have been a customer with for about 12 years.
    Like most I have the Sport and film add ons. I have a BT line, and that is the issue. Having an old Apple mac set up, although I have the so called 'high speed fibre' registering about 80mb download. The issue is that last year, the broadband kept on going down, and well trying to speak to the IT department, let alone customer services was shall we say not fit for purpose.
    Of course I want a good deal, but far and away what I want is a stable ISP, and good quality TV. Sky also with some relish inform me that 'my' sky box and dish are well mine, and therefore if they go wrong..... hard luck. So despite being a customer of BT for more decades than I like to think about, I need a good stable, and UK based IT support and customer services. I understand that BT are in the process of bringing back there customer services, to the UK, but frankly there providers for engineering 'Outreach' are both unaccountable to customers, which is why I would rather not go with Sky, as they use outreach. Personally I get the impression once they have you as a customer you are screwed, and locked into the contract, and trying to speak to someone from BT , after the 'we are very sorry sir' and get a resolution to obtain what you pay for seems to be near on impossible, even for a moaning old git like me?
    And boy have I 'moaned' to BT!.......

Every time Ive had a problem with sky (2 or 3 times) and its out of warranty, I refuse to have the insurance. After explaining the issue I get told I'm not covered and will have to pay, I refuse and get put through to cancellations and every time that dept has asked they replaced the box would I stay which obviously I would, but I would also be prepared to leave. So I ask them do they want my 75 quid a month or nothing at all, you choose. I'm still with sky, but I won't be held to ransom.
  • Options
    Thought i had a window of oppurtunity to get away when they raised the TV price due to the new BT sport channel. They've now told me they are not raising mine so I've no grounds to leave. Balls!
  • Options
    How long you tied in for. Thread must have been going nearly a while.
  • Options
    For those that don't know, Virgin broadband speeds are about to be doubled - I assume for 'free' as this is the way they normally do it.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

How long you tied in for. Thread must have been going nearly a while.

18months. It was either that or community service! ;-)
  • Options

Yeah. Plenty of channels to see what was on the previous week. Only thing is you can't actually watch most of them. Toilet.

Like I said, it's down to the Rights holders. I can record the same BBC programme on both of my Tivos so I can watch the recording on either. I could record it on just one Tivo and watch it on the other .... but BBC (or ITV or Sky etc) won't let me. Crazy, but that's the control the Rights holders have. This extends to Catch Up and what is on it and for how long.
  • Options
    Hex said:

For those that don't know, Virgin broadband speeds are about to be doubled - I assume for 'free' as this is the way they normally do it.

I have the 150mb fibre optic speed or slightly more at the moment with Virgin so would be delighted if it doubles. Although I must say I'm not convinced paying £85 a month is good value for my current package of XL TV and phone.
  • Options
    Always used Virgin since NTL days, the odd hiccup but love my TiVo box, and broadband, think their service is first class
  • Options
    With virgin media you can pay your phone line rental up front so that knocks down your monthly bill.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Like I said, it's down to the Rights holders. I can record the same BBC programme on both of my Tivos so I can watch the recording on either. I could record it on just one Tivo and watch it on the other .... but BBC (or ITV or Sky etc) won't let me. Crazy, but that's the control the Rights holders have. This extends to Catch Up and what is on it and for how long.
    It's not necessarily the channels/ providers who make the call on rights in that regard. It's often the distributor/ studios who insist upon levels of availability.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missus and me and two teenage boys, all very happy with virgin tv and broadband.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Hex said:

It's not necessarily the channels/ providers who make the call on rights in that regard. It's often the distributor/ studios who insist upon levels of availability.
    ... or unavailability !
  • Options
    I have had almost countless Virgin breaks in service, and engineers visits.
    Each visit costs Virgin £28, but that offer is often the only option given to you in order to restore service.
    After the invariably nice engineer visits, you are often asked for feedback, and if your feedback says you would recommend Virgin to somebody else, the engineer gets a £10 bonus.
    I live in Lee, and I always know that it is an area problem because the lady over the road calls me, or knocks on the door, because her Virgin service has stopped too.
    I don't know what is usual out there, but I get a substantial break in service about every two or three months, so to me Virgin is chite, but I am assuming all the other providers are equally chite.
  • Options

With virgin media you can pay your phone line rental up front so that knocks down your monthly bill.

You can do that with BT, Talktalk, and probably all the other providers too.
  • Options
    Just enquired about Virgin, Sky cannot get near it. BT have just put there line rental up, and my 'sky discounted deal' comes to an end this month.
    I said I wanted a new sky box, with a new installation, ( the wiring is very poor as an installation). Not a recon box...... (I have one upstairs gathering dust)
    still they could not get near it, so goodbye sky and BT. Of course BT had to charge me £30...... some trumped up 'admin charge', but I will retain the number, should take 14 days but have 28.
    Oh, and £100 cash back..... They are probably glad to see the back of me, which is entirely mutual...... but whatever happend to customer retention/loyalty. Having 245 channels of which I regulary watch no more than 10, seems a tad overkill, but then I hardly watch most of the sky channels.
    Will I be better off, and more satisfied, knowing these bunch of individuals....... I do have my doubts?
  • Options

Just enquired about Virgin, Sky cannot get near it. BT have just put there line rental up, and my 'sky discounted deal' comes to an end this month.
    I said I wanted a new sky box, with a new installation, ( the wiring is very poor as an installation). Not a recon box...... (I have one upstairs gathering dust)
    still they could not get near it, so goodbye sky and BT. Of course BT had to charge me £30...... some trumped up 'admin charge', but I will retain the number, should take 14 days but have 28.
    Oh, and £100 cash back..... They are probably glad to see the back of me, which is entirely mutual...... but whatever happend to customer retention/loyalty. Having 245 channels of which I regulary watch no more than 10, seems a tad overkill, but then I hardly watch most of the sky channels.
    Will I be better off, and more satisfied, knowing these bunch of individuals....... I do have my doubts?

Lol
    You sound like me a year ago Ken!

And my adage of the past 12 months?.......

You get what you pay for.!
  • Options
    Right. I'm still with Virgin, you'll be amazed to hear ( see earlier posts!!)

What's the new V6 box like? They've just offered me that plus all the sky sports channels which I don't currently have for another £4 a month.
    Sounds alright to me, but I'm not sure about the new box. Can't be any worse than the current one can it?
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options

Right. I'm still with Virgin, you'll be amazed to hear ( see earlier posts!!)

What's the new V6 box like? They've just offered me that plus all the sky sports channels which I don't currently have for another £4 a month.
    Sounds alright to me, but I'm not sure about the new box. Can't be any worse than the current one can it?

I ordered it yesterday for delivery next week. You can record 6 channels & it's supposed to be a quicker search.
  • Options
    I've had a V6 box for the last couple of months,it is better than the previous Tivo box,you can record more channels & it is a lot quicker.