Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

i'm proudly british because.......?

because of... the buzzcocks! right now, i'm listening to paul morley/mark lamarr retell "the buzzcocks story" on bbc radio 6...proud shivers up the spine...

Comments

• We big ourselves up the whole time we convince ourselves we are the best at everything.
  • dizzee said:

We big ourselves up the whole time we convince ourselves we are the best at everything.

...and routinely fall arse over tit, classically british!
  • Can't think of anything right now.
  • Not necessarily the same, but I think there' be a lot of overlap here (I'd certainly stick with my answers): http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/40950/five-things-or-people-you-like-about-england/p1
  • Stig said:

Not necessarily the same, but I think there' be a lot of overlap here (I'd certainly stick with my answers): http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/40950/five-things-or-people-you-like-about-england/p1

England and Britain are two different things.
  • i searched "britain" before posting, apologies to anyone who objects to new thread...just felt patriotic remembering the punk years!
  • because of... the buzzcocks! right now, i'm listening to paul morley/mark lamarr retell "the buzzcocks story" on bbc radio 6...proud shivers up the spine...

once spent a considerable amount of time with Steve Diggle in a sauna in Calgary - very nice guy, chatted about the band, their history, his views on the music industry but mostly about the state of the food industry in North America!!
  • I know I'm probably in a minority here, but I find it hard to be proud of something I had no say in. I didn't choose where I would be born. For me, something to be proud of is either something I chose or achieved.........................

good point, well made tango. however, i was present at the british punk explosion of the late 70's, so the buzzcocks story sounded a proud note.
  • Oakster said:

because of... the buzzcocks! right now, i'm listening to paul morley/mark lamarr retell "the buzzcocks story" on bbc radio 6...proud shivers up the spine...

once spent a considerable amount of time with Steve Diggle in a sauna in Calgary - very nice guy, chatted about the band, their history, his views on the music industry but mostly about the state of the food industry in North America!!
    wow, way cool memory oakster - dead envious!
  • Sponsored links:

• I do enjoy how little corruption there is in the UK versus some parts of the world. The police here are genuinely there for your benefit and when you buy a train ticket for example, people aren't trying to con you.
  • dizzee said:

Stig said:

Not necessarily the same, but I think there' be a lot of overlap here (I'd certainly stick with my answers): http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/40950/five-things-or-people-you-like-about-england/p1

England and Britain are two different things.
    Thankfully
  • I might be wrong but they're far better than connex ever were
  • I know I'm probably in a minority here, but I find it hard to be proud of something I had no say in. I didn't choose where I would be born. For me, something to be proud of is either something I chose or achieved.........................

Would you have been proud enough to have fought and died for your fellow Brits and country in any of the 2 world wars?

• Because I am from Britain.
  • vffvff
    edited August 2014
    Because Britain stood up against tyranny in the Second World War, against the Nazis / fascists and prevented a new dark age happening that could have blighted the world for decades.

Because people in Britain generally have a good sense of decency, fair play and will give people a chance.

British people are not afraid to stand against the odds and fight against injustice.
  • because of... the buzzcocks! right now, i'm listening to paul morley/mark lamarr retell "the buzzcocks story" on bbc radio 6...proud shivers up the spine...

Fantastic. Will catch to that later.

Did anyone else see them play Woolwich (Thames Poly) back in the day?

• Sponsored links:

• vff said:

Because Britain stood up against tyranny in the Second World War, against the Nazis / fascists and prevented a new dark age happening that could have blighted the world for decades.

I thought that was the mighty US of A

• PL54 said:

vff said:

I thought that was the mighty US of A

You are correct that USA did provide crucial support and undoubtedly were the decisive tipping point in the war. In the early stages of the war, Britain stood alone. Britain stood against the Nazis and stopped the Nazi march across Europe. It was very courageous. It is something I am proud of.
  • vff said:

Because people in Britain generally have a good sense of decency, fair play and will give people a chance.

British people are not afraid to stand against the odds and fight against injustice.

This. Worth pointing out how everyone slags us off but wants to live here given half a chance. Need to ensure people like Farage aren't around too long, otherwise decency and fair play will become things of the past.
  • Because we are a fair, tolerant, welcoming and inclusive nation, who despite all the knocking from both inside (including on here) and without that nation, and despite the watering down of our rules, laws and sovereignty by Europe and the US can still be classed as leaders in so many fields (that extends to GB). Nowhere else I'd rather live (except Tenerife for a couple of months in the winter perhaps).
  • Oh! and we invented Punk despite what the Yanks might think.
  • Oh! and we invented Punk despite what the Yanks might think.

I thought Malcolm McLaren and Vivienne Westwood invented it ;-)
  • Proud to be English, never been interested in being British.
  • Vincenzo said:

Fantastic. Will catch to that later.

Did anyone else see them play Woolwich (Thames Poly) back in the day?

Yes, I was there. Still got the badge the band gave me.
  • masicat said:

vff said:

This. Worth pointing out how everyone slags us off but wants to live here given half a chance. Need to ensure people like Farage aren't around too long, otherwise decency and fair play will become things of the past.
    That didn't take long