Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly

Comments

• Options
    If he was 6ft + and had no fitness issues, theres is no doubt in my mind he would be playing a good standard of prem football.

So in a way, he's dodgy knees and lack of height work in our favour
  • Options
    Great player, next Charlton captain for sure and another we can truly be proud of like Jackson currently.
  • Options
    Saw a guy yesterday working in Swarovski in Bluewater yesterday, who not only looked like Solly, but even sounded like him. Wondered if it was his brother.

Anyone going there for a bit of xmas shopping, pop in and ask him........
  • Options

Saw a guy yesterday working in Swarovski in Bluewater yesterday, who not only looked like Solly, but even sounded like him. Wondered if it was his brother.

I can't be the only one who was amazed by how deep his voice is for a little bloke. Our very own Barry White.
  • Options

Diamond geezer?
  • Options

Diamond geezer?
    Rock on. :-)
  • Options
    I love this guy.
  • Options
    I thought he still looked a bit heavy at the start but went on to have a really good game. Was an excellent test for him.
  • Options
    Should surely be our club captain this season bearing in mind Jacko is likely to be used more as an Andy Hughes style squad player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solly's a good player but a shit captain, not vocal enough, liable to miss games through injury and isn't a major presence on or off the field. Diarra, Cousins or Henderson for me, I'd give it to Cousins as though he's young he's a central player with experience in leading youth sides
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Solly's a good player but a shit captain, not vocal enough, liable to miss games through injury and isn't a major presence on or off the field. Diarra, Cousins or Henderson for me, I'd give it to Cousins as though he's young he's a central player with experience in leading youth sides

Would have to be diarra, he was captain of France so he's got a bit of pedigree
  • Options
    And Solly is very vocal from what I've seen/heard.

Always pointing and explaining to team mates. He leads by example as well.

What else do you need? Pretty sure he played the third most games last year as well so he's there most of the time.
  • Options
    Solly is an absolute gem - hope he is on decent dough, as his career maybe curtailed early. Love him
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    sam3110 said:

- hardly missed a game last season

- always looks vocal on the pitch to me

- always gives 100%. A leader in the way he plays.

- no idea what he is like off the field as I have never met him.
  • Options
    Does anyone know what the situation is now with Solly and midweek matches?

Has his injury improved, are they managing it differently (eg. emphasising matches over training) or are they simply taking more short-term risks with his long-term prospects (presumably with his agreement)?
  • Options
    I believe all 3 of the above.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Does anyone know what the situation is now with Solly and midweek matches?

Has his injury improved, are they managing it differently (eg. emphasising matches over training) or are they simply taking more short-term risks with his long-term prospects (presumably with his agreement)?

Just like our transfers, it always undisclosed but picking up on gossip, all the 5 points you raise are true. The sad truth is there isn't a cure but the fact that Chris played 40 odd matches last season compared to about 10 the season before makes you hope that solly have many more seasons ahead of him.
    Chris is up to 170 matches in all competitions, which is a fantastic achievement.
  • Options
    My prediction is that he will be the next Charlton player to get a testimonial.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Going back to this nonsense someone above said about him being a "shit captain"....

Giving someone an armband for 90 minutes makes next to little difference in the modern game where about 4-5 different languages are spoken in our matchday squad. It has become less about shouting and ordering at players. That 'stiff upper lip' mentality that the likes of Roy Keane, Vinnie Jones exemplified simply doesn't count for a lot these days when it comes to leadership IMO.

Good captains in 2015 are those who perform week in and week out, work hard in training and are disciplined. Just because Solly has the armband doesn't mean the likes of Diarra or Henderson can't act like captains in their own right.

In the modern game, 'captain' is simply a title given to someone who has earned a higher level of respect in the club. Hence why Jackson and Solly are our leaders. It might be given to shouters and 'hardmen' in Sunday League still, but not in the current professional game where results are largely down to ability and discipline.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Going back to this nonsense someone above said about him being a "shit captain"....

Giving someone an armband for 90 minutes makes next to little difference in the modern game where about 4-5 different languages are spoken in our matchday squad. It has become less about shouting and ordering at players. That 'stiff upper lip' mentality that the likes of Roy Keane, Vinnie Jones exemplified simply doesn't count for a lot these days when it comes to leadership IMO.

Good captains in 2015 are those who perform week in and week out, work hard in training and are disciplined. Just because Solly has the armband doesn't mean the likes of Diarra or Henderson can't act like captains in their own right.

In the modern game, 'captain' is simply a title given to someone who has earned a higher level of respect in the club. Hence why Jackson and Solly are our leaders. It might be given to shouters and 'hardmen' in Sunday League still, but not in the current professional game where results are largely down to ability and discipline.

Totally disagree
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

I'd give it to Kashi - he's one of the most vocal out there.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

sam3110 said:

But isn't he speaking French? ;-)

• Options
    J BLOCK said:

cafctom said:

Totally disagree
    Fine, but if someone with experience like Alou Diarra is trying to guide you on the pitch then do you think he is less likely to be taken notice of just because he doesn't have an armband?

The captain tag may be important for fans to identify with, but I don't see how it affects morale in the modern game. Players will still listen to their manager over their captain, regardless.

Football is less about crunching tackles and shouting at people now compared to the 80s and 90s.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

sam3110 said:

Vocal yes but can anyone understand him
  • Options

rikofold said:

sam3110 said:

Vocal yes but can anyone understand him
    Not speaking English as a first language may be a advantage in our current squad.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    sam3110 said:

You don't have to be gobbby to be a good skipper. Bobby Moore led by example as does Solly. I have met Solly off the pitch, quiet unassuming lad, but then again so was Mark Hughes. I rest my case M'lud.