Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has anyone been to Ethiopia

Following on from Peru thread, I am going to Addis Ababa in Ethiopia in a few weeks. Don't expect I will have much time out in the day and a solo woman traveller so options are limited. But any advice

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Ethiopians!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Never been but always wanting to see the churches in Lalibela that were carved from the ground down.

The Ark of the Covenant is also said to be Addis

Jah Rastafari
  • Options

Isn't the Ark of the Covenant the box that sucks in the Germans in the Indiana Jones movie?

If so I wouldn't advise going too close (If you do keep your eyes closed)
  • Options
    Never been, but my mate was out there for six months and loved it, wont stop banging on about it - unfortunately I haven't listened to a word he said but have emailed him and i'm sure will get an essay in return to post here.

If it's anything like Ghana;
    1. They don't sell sunscreen
    2. Hats are designed for much smaller heads than mine
  • Options
    Bob Geldof
  • Options
    Been there twice and love the place. It's pretty safe but as in all foreign places, be aware. Don't wear any expensive jewellery and keep to the centre unless you are with others. The market is a must to visit as are a couple of the museums. Overall, the people are fantastic and you have to sample the food and the fruit smoothies are unbelievable !! Enjoy it.
  • Options

Isn't the Ark of the Covenant the box that sucks in the Germans in the Indiana Jones movie?

It's alright, neither Henry nor Kimbo are German...
  • Options

It's alright, neither Henry nor Kimbo are German...
    Depends if they're evil though doesn't it? ;)
  • Options
    Great book In Ethiopia with a Mule - Dervla Murphy about a single woman trekking the country alone. (Mad as a box of frogs though)
  • Options
    Went to an Ethiopian restaurant once - wasn't too keen on the food and the wine tasted of tiger balm (you know, the stuff in Algipan). Have tried to persuade Mr W to visit there on a few occasions, but he always recalls that restaurant and refuses...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've also tried the local Abysinian restuarant in NW2. Friendly people and the food was OK but haven't rushed back.
  • Options
    I was meant to add that the food was very different from anything else I've eaten before.
  • Options
    Home of Coffee.............
  • Options
    I'd love to visit Ethiopia. The whole Halle Selassie/Rastafarian thing intrigues me as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Greenie said:

Bob Geldof

Not such a stupid response. As I work for Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition and going there for work

Thank you for your helpful comments folks :)
  • Options
    The wife went for a couple of weeks with work. Loved the people but was terrorised by giant insects. Enjoy!
  • Options
    As expected, my friend delivered an essay, turns out he wasn't so hot on Addis;

"Addis... I am sorry to say but for me the first thing to do in Addis is to leave. As soon as feasibly possible. I hate the place. I am probably not at all the best person to ask about it. However, should you - for some reason - decide to remain and want to look around, the things to visit are:

Medhane Alem, the big Orthodox Church, and go inside with a guide - highly recommended;
    Try and get up to the top of Entoto hills (you'll probably need to organise this via a tour operator) as this has a great view of Addis;
    National Museum of Anthropology, near the university, where Lucy is;
    Meskel Square (just a square);
    Holy Trinity Church, with attached museum on Haile Selassie;
    One thing to definitely do (despite it being a bit expensive) is have dinner in Yod Abyssinia. it's a restaurant that also has dancers come in from all over the country and dance in the traditional way of their region - it's quite a sight. If it is too expensive to eat there, suggest having dinner elsewhere and going in for a bottle of tej (must-have: the local honey wine, probably like mead, but be careful as it's deceptively strong) only;
    Eat Ethiopian food and coffee.
    Go to mercato, the largest market in Africa - but don't go without an Ethiopian!!! It's the one place in Ethiopia where you feel decidedly unsafe.

Apart from those, I'm afraid I'm at a loss. My honest opinion: don't plan to spend more than two nights in Addis - it's not worth it (unless you're working there or something). Sorry to be so dismissive, but remember that Addis first started to be constructed at the very end of the 1800s and start of the 20th Century: before that there was nothing there. Hence it lacks in historical things, which are found in abundance elsewhere."

There was a lot more but the highlights;
    - Gave the phone number of his friend who is a tour operator in Addis (let me know if you want it)
    - Don't go to a coffee ceremony offered by a stranger (apparently this is a normal thing to do elsewhere in the country but in Addis can be a scam)
    - August/September is rainy season - it rains a lot and is cold (basically late Autumn here)
    - As a solo woman traveller he just recommended don't go to a club or bar alone, as you will likely be mistaken for a brass, but otherwise its a safe country and just be as careful as you would in London

• Options
    Stopped off there for day and half on the way to cricket in Cape Town a few years ago. For a very reasonable price we (a fellow traveller) got a cab driver who looked after us for the whole time we were there. Dropped us off at our hotel when we wanted. Lucy is worth a visit.....named after 'Lucy in the Sky'.......
  • Options
    My Dad was given his School Cricket prize by Haile Selassie.
  • Options

As expected, my friend delivered an essay, turns out he wasn't so hot on Addis;

"Addis... I am sorry to say but for me the first thing to do in Addis is to leave. As soon as feasibly possible. I hate the place. I am probably not at all the best person to ask about it. However, should you - for some reason - decide to remain and want to look around, the things to visit are:

Medhane Alem, the big Orthodox Church, and go inside with a guide - highly recommended;
    Try and get up to the top of Entoto hills (you'll probably need to organise this via a tour operator) as this has a great view of Addis;
    National Museum of Anthropology, near the university, where Lucy is;
    Meskel Square (just a square);
    Holy Trinity Church, with attached museum on Haile Selassie;
    One thing to definitely do (despite it being a bit expensive) is have dinner in Yod Abyssinia. it's a restaurant that also has dancers come in from all over the country and dance in the traditional way of their region - it's quite a sight. If it is too expensive to eat there, suggest having dinner elsewhere and going in for a bottle of tej (must-have: the local honey wine, probably like mead, but be careful as it's deceptively strong) only;
    Eat Ethiopian food and coffee.
    Go to mercato, the largest market in Africa - but don't go without an Ethiopian!!! It's the one place in Ethiopia where you feel decidedly unsafe.

Apart from those, I'm afraid I'm at a loss. My honest opinion: don't plan to spend more than two nights in Addis - it's not worth it (unless you're working there or something). Sorry to be so dismissive, but remember that Addis first started to be constructed at the very end of the 1800s and start of the 20th Century: before that there was nothing there. Hence it lacks in historical things, which are found in abundance elsewhere."

There was a lot more but the highlights;
    - Gave the phone number of his friend who is a tour operator in Addis (let me know if you want it)
    - Don't go to a coffee ceremony offered by a stranger (apparently this is a normal thing to do elsewhere in the country but in Addis can be a scam)
    - August/September is rainy season - it rains a lot and is cold (basically late Autumn here)
    - As a solo woman traveller he just recommended don't go to a club or bar alone, as you will likely be mistaken for a brass, but otherwise its a safe country and just be as careful as you would in London

Thanks very useful, but as a woman, working in Addis for a week will probably stay in the hotel anyway, nice to know what i am missing :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kimbo, I can suggest the Regency Hotel in Addis. It's run by a very nice bloke called Mac. The staff are friendly, rooms very comfortable and the food great. Only problem you may have is being a white woman alone although nothing serious would happen, just stares and a few off the cuff comments.
  • Options
    Staying at the Harmony, looks nice.
  • Options
    no but I think Satta Massagana by The Abysinnians is a great reggae album.
    Don't suppose that helps a lot!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE3qYbB_7-E
  • Options
    I'll be seeing ya!