Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• about time that the Prix de l'arc did away with weight allowances for fillies & mares .. if they're good enough to start favourite against the colts and stallions, they are good enough not to need a big advantage .. this is a good article

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/why-fillies-mares dont-need-weight-allowance-highest-level/
  • edited October 2017

about time that the Prix de l'arc did away with weight allowances for fillies & mares .. if they're good enough to start favourite against the colts and stallions, they are good enough not to need a big advantage .. this is a good article

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/why-fillies-mares dont-need-weight-allowance-highest-level/

Why just the Arc? If the argument is sound then all Group 1's would be appropriate.

Not that losing the 3lb allowance Enable got would have made a blind bit of difference!
  • bobmunro said:

about time that the Prix de l'arc did away with weight allowances for fillies & mares .. if they're good enough to start favourite against the colts and stallions, they are good enough not to need a big advantage .. this is a good article

Why just the Arc? If the argument is sound then all Group 1's would be appropriate.

Not that losing the 3lb allowance Enable got would have made a blind bit of difference!

Agrred .. I was really using the arc just as an example .. the article that I found after I typed my post reinforces your point
  • edited October 2017

bobmunro said:

Agrred .. I was really using the arc just as an example .. the article that I found after I typed my post reinforces your point
    Agreed.

Weight for age I haven't got a problem with - a four year old colt or filly is much bigger and stronger than a three year old. But not weight for sex.

It won't change though - the rules of racing very rarely do!!
  • An interesting article here, which I suppose suggests there's not much of a discrepancy, but male horses generally tend to be ever so slightly better: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/28/sport/horse-racing-male-female/index.html
  • Warick
    2-15 doitforthevillage
    2.45 the Welsh paddie
    3.20 positive Dylan
    3.50 Quarenta
    4.25! long lunch
    4.55 Bobble Boru
  • Geraghty over for one ride at Warwick.... 2,15.
  • sralan said:

Geraghty over for one ride at Warwick.... 2,15.

Cheers

• Francis Xavier - Lingfield 4.00
  • edited October 2017
    sralan said:

Geraghty over for one ride at Warwick.... 2,15.

thanks for the spot .. nice little earner albeit at 5/6 ((:>) .. yet another JPMc hurdler to watch out for this coming season
  • Sponsored links:

• Francis Xavier - Lingfield 4.00

Third - sorry if anyone got on!

Slow out of the stalls, was chasing from there, did well to mount a challenge and just didn't have it in the final furlong.

Slow start killed it.
  • Here are four horses to put in your tracker for upcoming jumps season,I'm involved in the ownership of all four.We expect all four to win races and hopefully at least one of them will make the Cheltenham Festival next year
    Duhallow Gesture (A.Honeyball)
    East Wing (A.Honeyball)
    My Dance (A.Honeyball)
    Oxford Blu (O.Murphy)
  • Here are four horses to put in your tracker for upcoming jumps season,I'm involved in the ownership of all four.We expect all four to win races and hopefully at least one of them will make the Cheltenham Festival next year
    Duhallow Gesture (A.Honeyball)
    East Wing (A.Honeyball)
    My Dance (A.Honeyball)
    Oxford Blu (O.Murphy)

Best of luck with these four KK - a dream of mine is to have a runner at Cheltenham.
  • Cheers Bob and yes a dream of mine too
    Duhallow is being aimed at the bumper at the Open meeting in November all being well
  • Warwick is a decent little course. I'd definitely return.
  • Austrian School...... 1.55 Pontefract.
  • Great news that Enable is going to be kept in training next year. Be interesting to see if they will still try to keep her and Cracksman apart. I can't see how they can, as they're likely to have similar targets (1m 4f group 1 contests) up to next year's Arc.
  • sralan said:

Austrian School...... 1.55 Pontefract.

Nice work!!

• sralan said:

Austrian School...... 1.55 Pontefract.

nice drift aswell, cheers
  • decent card today at newmarket skybet go money back as a free bet if horse you back comes 2nd or 3rd, the fave should go well i think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Backed Laurens at 10/1 (which won), but had it in a double with Dabyah (which came last).
    Didn't do singles either.
  • hard afternoon's reading and comparing form for a £3 profit, (I won't spend it all at once) .. and that was from an E/W punt on Gordon Lord Byron at 66/1 .. any horse at that price with Atzeni on board has to be worth a small wager
  • Expert Eye in The Dewhurst tomorrow is a cast iron certainty. Best price 8/13 (yes, anyone can tip odds on!!) but best priced 4/1 for next year's 2000 Guineas will disappear after tomorrow's race.
  • Each to their own obviously but 4/1 about a horse 6/7 months out doesn't strike me as that appealing! Part of the bet involves him just getting there and already had some time off for niggling issues this year
  • Atzeni (again) .. Laws of Spin .. 3.40 NewMk ... E/W
  • Well that didn't go to plan for Expert Eye
  • bobmunro said:

Expert Eye in The Dewhurst tomorrow is a cast iron certainty. Best price 8/13 (yes, anyone can tip odds on!!) but best priced 4/1 for next year's 2000 Guineas will disappear after tomorrow's race.

One of those bookies 'cast iron certainty' eh bob ;-)
  • bobmunro said:

Expert Eye in The Dewhurst tomorrow is a cast iron certainty. Best price 8/13 (yes, anyone can tip odds on!!) but best priced 4/1 for next year's 2000 Guineas will disappear after tomorrow's race.

One of those bookies 'cast iron certainty' eh bob ;-)
    I'll stick to being a layer!!
  • Any advice on the Cheltenham festival? Group of about 6 of us want to do it this year. Where to stay, go out, what enclosure etc?

Any advice appreciated
  • edited October 2017
    Cafc95 said:

Any advice on the Cheltenham festival? Group of about 6 of us want to do it this year. Where to stay, go out, what enclosure etc?

Any advice appreciated

We always go to the Club Enclosure as it has the best view. Early bird price now on sale. We prefer to go and return on the day by train. Most accommodation will already be sold out, so get cracking if you want to stay within 30 miles.

Everywhere is packed in the evenings, but I can't say we've ever found anywhere memorable, which is why we now prefer to return on the day. Tuesday-Thursday will be rammed and Friday you can barely move.

It's possibly the best day/week of the year.

http://cheltenham.thejockeyclub.co.uk/events-tickets/whats-on/the-festival-st-patricks-day