Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    today I had placed horses in all the first four races (e/w lucky 15) .. first results in a very disappointing few days
  • Options
    sorry .. to brag a bit .. BUT after today's terrific football game and result, my cup runneth over..

I saw last night, Lancelot du Lac, Stewards Cup, Goodwood 3.35, .. nice name .. Dean Ivory trained, he's a decent trainer of sprinters and FRANKIE Dettori on board !!!! ..
    33/1 on PaddyP .. the bookies have got this wrong thought I, If FD is up it's got a good fighting chance of a place ..
    I put a few on e/w .. came in at 25/1, I was on at 33s ..Mwaahhhh Frankie.. is he the best jock of all times ? .. better than Pigott ? .. better then anybody ever, including Ryan Moore ?
  • Options
    edited August 2017

sorry .. to brag a bit .. BUT after today's terrific football game and result, my cup runneth over..

I saw last night, Lancelot du Lac, Stewards Cup, Goodwood 3.35, .. nice name .. Dean Ivory trained, he's a decent trainer of sprinters and FRANKIE Dettori on board !!!! ..
    33/1 on PaddyP .. the bookies have got this wrong thought I, If FD is up it's got a good fighting chance of a place ..
    I put a few on e/w .. came in at 25/1, I was on at 33s ..Mwaahhhh Frankie.. is he the best jock of all times ? .. better than Pigott ? .. better then anybody ever, including Ryan Moore ?

Very good pick, Lincs, and Frankie rode a great race.

Frankie is a very, very good jockey. Champion jockey three times and 13 English Classic wins. Top class indeed, but the best? Not even close!!

Champion Jockey 11 times.
    30 English Classic wins including NINE in the Derby.
    116 Royal Ascot Winners - yes that figure is correct!!
    Just some of the competition during his career, Carson, Eddery, Mercer, Cauthen, Starkey, Swinburn - the bolded ones would be in the top ten of all time. A golden era of jockeys.
    He was the best in the world for more than 40 years, and the greatest ever flat jockey.
    One of my all-time sporting heroes and in my mind the greatest ever English sportsman.

Lester Keith Piggott.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Very good pick, Lincs, and Frankie rode a great race.

Frankie is a very, very good jockey. Champion jockey three times and 13 English Classic wins. Top class indeed, but the best? Not even close!!

Champion Jockey 11 times.
    30 English Classic wins including NINE in the Derby.
    116 Royal Ascot Winners - yes that figure is correct!!
    Just some of the competition during his career, Carson, Eddery, Mercer, Cauthen, Starkey, Swinburn - the bolded ones would be in the top ten of all time. A golden era of jockeys.
    He was the best in the world for more than 40 years, and the greatest ever flat jockey.
    One of my all-time sporting heroes and in my mind the greatest ever English sportsman.

Lester Keith Piggott.

Seconded !
  • Options
    Piggitt you acing a laugh. Don't think he played 10 games for us where is he now Cambridge
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Could never get a tip off Lester nobody understood a fucking word he said
  • Options

He was deaf which affected his speech but he certainly wasn't dumb.
  • Options

I've had the immense pleasure of being in Lester's company on many occasions and he is a very good communicator and one of the smartest guys I have ever known. He has also got an amazing dry sense of humour.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I've had the immense pleasure of being in Lester's company on many occasions and he is a very good communicator and one of the smartest guys I have ever known. He has also got an amazing dry sense of humour.
    Did you let him have the top bunk?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

He must have had - at one point he had his own tipping line and if he thought anyone was capable of understanding him then the fact that it closed within a couple of weeks rather says it all.

Equally, he clearly isn't as smart as he thinks he is because, when the Inland Revenue agreed to settle with him, he wrote them a cheque on a bank account he had not declared. And he ended up in prison because of that. Maybe it was just pure arrogance on his part.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017

bobmunro said:

He must have had - at one point he had his own tipping line and if he thought anyone was capable of understanding him then the fact that it closed within a couple of weeks rather says it all.

Equally, he clearly isn't as smart as he thinks he is because, when the Inland Revenue agreed to settle with him, he wrote them a cheque on a bank account he had not declared. And he ended up in prison because of that. Maybe it was just pure arrogance on his part.
    There are many ways to measure 'smartness' and yes the cheque thing was a schoolboy error!!

But a genius on a horse and the master of the one line put down. The famous one and most quoted is after he had won a race in Washington on Karasas. The Americans didn't rate Piggott and after the race a journalist said to him "when did you think you had the race won?" to which he replied "two weeks ago!".

But my favourite is after he had come out of retirement in 1990 at the age of 54 to ride O'Brien's Royal Academy to win the Breeder's Cup Mile. A journalist said to him after the race "Lester, do you think winning the Breeder's Cup Mile on Royal Academy is your greatest achievement?" Lester's response "I've won nine f**king Derbys".
  • Options
    Bloke in pub has done a £10 reverse forecast.
    He had the winner and a non runner and Ladbrokes have void the bet.
    Is that correct?
  • Options

Is that correct?

100%. It's a forecast, meaning you pick two horses. If one of them no longer features then the bet is an impossibility, so it's void.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    PaddyP17 said:

Is that correct?

100%. It's a forecast, meaning you pick two horses. If one of them no longer features then the bet is an impossibility, so it's void.
    This is from the ladbrokes help centre.
    Surely it's a £10 single at SP and £10 return for void bet.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    argued the case and they've now paid out as a £20 single winner after showed them their own help centre online.
  • Options

argued the case and they've now paid out as a £20 single winner after showed them their own help centre online.

Oooohhh! Well then, fair play.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Permian has just died in America after collapsing whilst running :(
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

Finished the race in last place after breaking a leg . Buick in hospital.

Very sad end to a top class horse.
  • Options
    Oh no, gutted.

My favourite horse.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

No way, gutting. Won me a lot of money at Royal Ascot, what a horse
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    8.10 kempton tommorow night scoones has been hammered from 12/1 into 5/1 bookies setting maximum stakes etc
  • Options
    see that France has brought in a weight allowance for female jockeys .. vive l'egalité
  • Options

see that France has brought in a weight allowance for female jockeys .. vive l'egalité

Thats why Hayley Turner is going to ride over there .
  • Options
    Davy Russel awful behaviour no excuse for that in my opinion hopefully receives a lengthy ban, end of the day without the horses you don't have a job and just gives ammo for those against horse racing
  • Options
    Neon Wolf has reportedly died today due to an accident on the gallops.

RIP
  • Options
    saw that @smiffyboy such a shame as had a huge prospect i think looking forward to the jumps season already got 4 meetings booked up

27th december kempton
    2 days a lepordstown in febuary
    2 days at cheltenham ( weds and thursday ) then will head to a pub for gold cup day
    grand national day at aintree.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Don't know if anyone follows him on twitter but appears the racing blogger is a fan image
  • Options
    edited August 2017
  • Options

Don't know if anyone follows him on twitter but appears the racing blogger is a fan image

He was tweeting from the Bristol Rovers game - appeared to be in the directors box. Wasn't sure if he was a fan or had simply blagged a freebie