Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Southend - Result: 1-0 (Gudmundsson)

Comments

• Options

Good result and run out - no surprises in terms of lineup - Peterborough then Colchester and Brentford will tell us if this new look team is going to make the season a joy or a worry.

Nice to hear of another goal from a new signing :)

Got Portsmouth as well
  • Options
    If George plays like he did at ebbsfleet the other night, I'd rather Vanessa feltz up front
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Very strange why he should be there watching and not playing.
  • Options

Scoham said:
    Reckon he's not back to match fitness yet... Only returned to training on Wednesday
  • Options
    You'd think after what Bob said last week he might have come out by now and said he is looking forward to next season or something.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    PS Reza nowhere to be seen. Doesn't look like his situation will be in the team in the near future so I wouldn't consider him in the equation.
  • Options
    Would be nice if the club gave us an update on moussas injury situation.
    Obviously much more serious than just a knock which they've previously stated
  • Options

Peeters said back injury should be back for Brentford.
  • Options

@000__Jaaaaay__000

Peeters also confirmed that new signing Franck Moussa is struggling with a back injury, but he hopes to have him ready for the opening game of the season at Brentford.

“He is working with Erol [Umut] the physio but we need to be careful with him and at this moment," added Peeters.

“We need to manage Franck and hopefully he can be fit for the first game of the Championship.”

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140724-peeters-on-players-1780176.aspx#gTDzqwoIg9IGYhy6.99
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2014

Bob explained the situation in an interview given on Thursday.

He has a back injury and is working with the physio's.

They are hopeful he'll be fit for Brentford.
  • Options

Reza watched the game today

Massive wind up
    Reza watched the game today from the sidelines
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Got in and made a cuppa.
    Nice day out so far, took my bike up to Sparrows lane but couldn't blag my way in, go watched from the green chain with a few other hardy souls (you know who you are!), you could say a restricted view.
    We sussed out the team and had a look at the new keeper, who early doors had me worried, uncertain about claiming the ball, and after about six minutes a Southend forward broke through, I knew he was going to shoot, he knew he was going to shoot, but when he then slammed a shot off the keepers left hand post, the keeper never moved for it at all!
    Hmmmn.
    He got better in the second half, but was unconvincing.
    My observations in random order is that Big Bob is certainly considering easing Joe Gomez in via right back when the need arises. Chris Solly started and was one of our best players this morning, but Bob might be considering a 75/25 right back split between Gomez and Solly to start with, with Wilson and Nego as back up.
    Morro seemed rather marginalised and Bikey and Ben Haim seemed pretty authoritative central defenders, and a fitter Fox started, but Wiggy was being intensely warmed up during the first half and cane on after an hour or so and looked as good as Fox.
    As for the rest, Vetokele was energetic throughout, may become a fans favourite, both Joe Piggott and George were much of a muchness 6/10 performances. Harriott sparkled once or twice, Gudmunnson very left footed on the right was neat and tidy and took his goal well (think it may have been his right foot). jacko was jacko pulling the strings somewhat and Buyens was similar to George and Piggott.
    Of the subs it was interesting to see Church come on the instant after we scored.

Now the other stuff. We seemed to play it around a lot mainly mid paced two touch stuff, we allowed Southend a lot of possession deepish, we were overall pretty ordinary against a fourth division team however and on my experience there I remain unconvinced, and I am worried the season starts two weeks today!

Cycled on up to the café in Oxleas Woods and had a splendid lunch.

Seth...our goalie looked better in 2nd half cos it was Nick Pope between sticks...in fairness though on the path you would have had a very restricted view of the game :) especially as he was in goal at the club end !
  • Options
    madadd said:

seth plum said:

Got in and made a cuppa.
    Nice day out so far, took my bike up to Sparrows lane but couldn't blag my way in, go watched from the green chain with a few other hardy souls (you know who you are!), you could say a restricted view.
    We sussed out the team and had a look at the new keeper, who early doors had me worried, uncertain about claiming the ball, and after about six minutes a Southend forward broke through, I knew he was going to shoot, he knew he was going to shoot, but when he then slammed a shot off the keepers left hand post, the keeper never moved for it at all!
    Hmmmn.
    He got better in the second half, but was unconvincing.
    My observations in random order is that Big Bob is certainly considering easing Joe Gomez in via right back when the need arises. Chris Solly started and was one of our best players this morning, but Bob might be considering a 75/25 right back split between Gomez and Solly to start with, with Wilson and Nego as back up.
    Morro seemed rather marginalised and Bikey and Ben Haim seemed pretty authoritative central defenders, and a fitter Fox started, but Wiggy was being intensely warmed up during the first half and cane on after an hour or so and looked as good as Fox.
    As for the rest, Vetokele was energetic throughout, may become a fans favourite, both Joe Piggott and George were much of a muchness 6/10 performances. Harriott sparkled once or twice, Gudmunnson very left footed on the right was neat and tidy and took his goal well (think it may have been his right foot). jacko was jacko pulling the strings somewhat and Buyens was similar to George and Piggott.
    Of the subs it was interesting to see Church come on the instant after we scored.

Now the other stuff. We seemed to play it around a lot mainly mid paced two touch stuff, we allowed Southend a lot of possession deepish, we were overall pretty ordinary against a fourth division team however and on my experience there I remain unconvinced, and I am worried the season starts two weeks today!

Cycled on up to the café in Oxleas Woods and had a splendid lunch.

Seth...our goalie looked better in 2nd half cos it was Nick Pope between sticks...in fairness though on the path you would have had a very restricted view of the game :) especially as he was in goal at the club end !
    There you go, exactly right, we saw the (back of) the new guy at the (Charlton Ultras) 'footpath end', and in the second half our keeper was two pitch lengths away at the clubhouse end!

• Options

Scoham said:
    Not really, he's only just started training, no need to put him in a competitive game just yet
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Pleased with the win but we can not take anything out of these friendlies. Good that Gudmundsson got on the score sheet, if we are to do well this season we need these players to score. Reza has only just started training hopefully we see him against Peterborough.
  • Options

Bob explained the situation in an interview given on Thursday.

He has a back injury and is working with the physio's.

They are hopeful he'll be fit for Brentford.
    we are famous for that type of hopeful managerial injury/fitness statement and the player ends up being out for 6 weeks or more, but hope not in this case though...
  • Options
    Pope didn't play did he..?
  • Options
    I imagine Reza might be used against Bromley next week to get more an 20-30 minutes under his belt.
  • Options

Pope didn't play did he..?

Apparently he did going by the team sheet on the Match Report
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apologies if there is a thread for this but I couldn't see one, out of interest how many people are going to Peterborough? Was thinking of going but didn't want to end up being one of the only ones there
  • Options

Apologies if there is a thread for this but I couldn't see one, out of interest how many people are going to Peterborough? Was thinking of going but didn't want to end up being one of the only ones there

Been following Charlton long mate?
  • Options
    next two matches will give more of a clue in my opinion to the starting line up at Brentford.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Scoham said:
    Not really, he's only just started training, no need to put him in a competitive game just yet
    Hopefully, and the way it is looking, the competitive game will come......................elsewhere
  • Options

Long enough to know there won't be many
    Can feel another 'away numbers' debate brewing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Long enough to know there won't be many
    Can feel another 'away numbers' debate brewing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Its the recession and everyone has kids.
  • Options
    And away we go...............................
  • Options

Well, we've changed our plans as quickly as Swindon changed theirs and will be there on Weds evening , H.

• Options
    Thanks for the match report, Seth & well done on your mission to watch it, however difficult it was.

We should have a CL whip round for a pair of decent binocs for you for next time.