Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Police appeal following attack in Charlton

Not sure if this should be posted on here but I think people should be aware - not sure if it's been mentioned before. Very close to home this, I'll be getting my girlfriend to get a cab home from any nights out in future.

Honestly can't believe this has happened in such an open place - I've often staggered drunk down that road and there's always cars going past. Just sickening.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/update/2014-07-18/young-woman-walking-home-after-a-night-out-is-raped-and-robbed-at-a-south-london-bus-stop/

Comments

• Options
    Sickening, nobody is safe any where now days.
  • Options
    Cowards.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

violent crime has fallen year on year for the last 40 years across the world. The advent of the internet and 24 hour news makes you think the world is more violent and unsafe, it isn't. In fact the opposite is true.

Still, it's always good to take precautions.
  • Options

violent crime has fallen year on year for the last 40 years across the world. The advent of the internet and 24 hour news makes you think the world is more violent and unsafe, it isn't. In fact the opposite is true.

Or just people are getting better at skewing figures?
  • Options
    Jarman said:

Cowards.

scum more like.
  • Options
    Sickening that, absolute scum.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I think we are just a little more aware now days.

These "people" need to be caught and removed from the rest of us. Might be with modern policing methods the scum are caught and delt with quickly.
  • Options

What i meant was, that there are so many of these types of crimes and stabbings in broad daylight and busy areas, it's like the cowards/scum don't seem to care if their seen or not.

• Options

Not really Stu. The best evidence for this comes from hospital A&E admissions, which show a consistent fall in numbers of people coming in with injuries caused by violence, etc. Hospitals have no motive for pretending that fewer people come in to A&E with injuries caused by violence, etc. (if anything, they would want to keep emphasising how busy/stretched they are). And there's no reason to believe people are less likely to seek hospital treatment.

This doesn't make incidents like this any less sickening or traumatic for those affected, of course.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

not at all, you can't skew figures of 71% or more in some western cities.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-weisser/violent-crime-cities_b_4760996.html

There's actually a theory that removing lead from petrol has led to this drop as violent crime started falling just after unleaded petrol was introduced. in the USA alone crime generally has fallen to levels last seen around the 1960s

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27067615
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

not at all, you can't skew figures of 71% or more in some western cities.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-weisser/violent-crime-cities_b_4760996.html

There's actually a theory that removing lead from petrol has led to this drop as violent crime started falling just after unleaded petrol was introduced. in the USA alone crime generally has fallen to levels last seen around the 1960s

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27067615
    I think you will find reform of abortion laws would have caused this rather than lead in fuel.
  • Options
    Sad sign of the times. Speaking as someone who worked in the Greenwich/Woolwich area in the 80s, I go back there now and barely recognise the place. It has absolutely gone to the dogs.
  • Options

Sad sign of the times. Speaking as someone who worked in the Greenwich/Woolwich area in the 80s, I go back there now and barely recognise the place. It has absolutely gone to the dogs.

I've always lived in Bexleyheath but my Mum and Dad are originally from Woolwich / Plumstead / Abbey Wood area - Me and my Mum both travel to Woolwich Arsenal on the Bus and get the DLR to work (her to Bank.. me to Stratford) and the other day she was discussing the area around Lakedale Road and how nice it used to be etc...

Just turned round and said... "Mum based on the area now (as we went past).. stop talking about it as you'll only depress yourself"
  • Options

That's b*ll*cks.

• Options
    Vincenzo said:

That's b*ll*cks.

I lived in Woolwich and Plumstead in the 70's and early 80's and I agree with BrusselsAddick. In fact I think saying it has gone to the dogs is being kind.
  • Options
    People who say x area/the country is going to the dogs need to put down their daily mail and get out the house. This country wasn't ever that great, the only difference now is that there's different people, different jobs and different ethnicities in these areas. Some/most people are terrified of change and anything different they fear or say it's worse than it was.

The world keeps turning and changing, move along with it or get left behind.
  • Options

People who say x area/the country is going to the dogs need to put down their daily mail and get out the house. This country wasn't ever that great, the only difference now is that there's different people, different jobs and different ethnicities in these areas. Some/most people are terrified of change and anything different they fear or say it's worse than it was.

Compared to Bexley, Woolwich is a shithole. I'm not being a Daily Mail reader here, I'm being honest.
    was it ever not one? I mean reaaaally?
  • Options

Compared to Bexley, Woolwich is a shithole. I'm not being a Daily Mail reader here, I'm being honest.
    was it ever not one? I mean reaaaally?
    It was nice once. It has gone downhill though for many different reasons.
  • Options

I'm sure the young the young woman who was raped and robbed would take great comfort from that fact.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2014

What a pile of crap. You didn't have teenagers running round stabbing each other, on a very regular basis, 40 years ago, like you do now.

I don't recall too many people being beheaded either !
    statistics don't lie! Nahh, back then you had people leaving car bombs around or blowing up bins for "irish independence", riots in brixton, power cuts every week. oh how i wish we were back to those golden days!

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110218135832/http:/rds.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs06/crime-statistics-independent-review-06.pdf

"1.7 The trend in crime increased at a particularly steep rate between the 1970s and mid 1990s"
  • Options
    edited July 2014

What a pile of crap. You didn't have teenagers running round stabbing each other, on a very regular basis, 40 years ago, like you do now.

I don't recall too many people being beheaded either !
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Better_Angels_of_Our_Nature

Pinker makes the argument that overall violence is declining. You'll have to read the book to see if you agree or disagree but he does have some statistics.

I tend to agree with what KentAddick is trying to say although I don't think he is doing his argument any favours the way he is putting it (yes, I know that's me saying that)

It is true someone was beheaded in Woolwich and that was terrible, on that we all agree. However 40 years (November 1974) ago two people were killed when a bomb was thrown into the Kings Arms, Woolwich. So there was violence then as now. Certainly Woolwich was a rough and violent place when I grew up nearby in the 70s and from the stories my dad told it was more violent in the 30s (Squaddies, Sailors and locals fighting in the streets, Horse Artillery men using the spurs on their boots on their opponents once they went down.

However, what matters now is that poor woman being helped to re-build her life and the three pieces of scum who did it getting caught and severely punished.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Bromley has gone to the dogs.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Violence has changed IMO. Back in the 70's it was more a case of you knew where it was more LIKELY to be and you had more chance of avoiding it.

So football hooligans, could be avoided. Lewisham riots could be avoided. Brixton riots could be avoided, unless you lived there.

Ok, if you was in Woolwich late at night, you might get jumped or mugged, (I did), but there wasn't so many stabbings.
    I think someone was stabbed in Woolwich a couple of weeks ago.

Jimmy Mizzen, Robbie Knox et al RIP to them.

No way were there stabbings like there are now & that's my point. Murders of "kids" by "kids", in Lee, Sidcup.

Why are we having football against knife crime initiatives, if it's decreasing ?

Additionally, a lot of crimes are now unreported, because many police stations have closed and the police don't even bother investigating many crimes, so what's the point. No one can say how many go unreported, for obvious reasons.

If my car was broken into, the only reason I may report it would be for insurance purposes.
    If I was mugged, would I report it ? Probably not. Car number plates were stolen. Did I report it, no, what's the point ?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Violence has changed IMO. Back in the 70's it was more a case of you knew where it was more LIKELY to be and you had more chance of avoiding it.

So football hooligans, could be avoided. Lewisham riots could be avoided. Brixton riots could be avoided, unless you lived there.

Ok, if you was in Woolwich late at night, you might get jumped or mugged, (I did), but there wasn't so many stabbings.
    J
    immy Mizzen, Robbie Knox et al RIP to them.

No way was their stabbings like there are now & that's my point. Murders of "kids" by "kids", in Lee, Sidcup.

Additionally, a lot of crimes are now unreported, because many police stations have closed and the police don't even bother investigating many crimes, so what's the point. No one can say how many go unreported, for obvious reasons.

If my car was broken into, the only reason I may report it would be for insurance purposes.
    If I was mugged, would I report it ? Probably not. Car number plates were stolen. Did I report it, no, what's the point ?

I agree about the use of knives but that did still happened and people getting "bottled" or "glassed" was a lot more common then. That has reduced, in part because of plastic glasses and part because pubs are fewer and different places to drink.

The stats about lower numbers of people reporting to A & E with injuries caused by violence suggest that while crime may or may not be reported the actual incidences of such violence are going down.

Politics and trade disputes are also much less violent (other than some fringe groups like the EDLv Anti-fascists) than they were 40 years ago. The miners strike was very violent (orgrave) as were some demos such as Lewisham, Grunwig, etc etc that I recall. Mosley's fascist were violently opposed in the streets in the thirties and got chased out of Woolwich (again very violently according to my dad who was very much involved) in the 50s. Those things were almost taken for granted then but would be seen as shocking now.
  • Options

Well what do you expect with that attitude.
  • Options

Jimmy Mizzen, Robbie Knox et al RIP to them.

No way were there stabbings like there are now & that's my point. Murders of "kids" by "kids", in Lee, Sidcup.

Why are we having football against knife crime initiatives, if it's decreasing ?

So no one ever got raped or mugged before the modern era? I'm sure they were just looking for it though since they knew where it had come from.

As I said, 24 hour news channels and the internet news has made people like you think there's no escape from crime. Crime hasn't changed, it's just you know of more crimes because it's thrown in your face every day.

If you don't report crime, however petty you think it is then you're part of the problem.
  • Options
    kent, I'll leave it there. It's not worth debating with you, when you spin what I'm saying.