Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Hughes

Joined Bolton as development coach.

Comments

• Options
    Interesting, as I thought he wanted to keep playing. I guess this means he's hung up his boots
  • Options
    Not Leeds? Hmmm
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I am surprised Leeds, Charlton or Reading never offered him the same sort of role, loved at all 3 clubs
  • Options

Joined Bolton as development coach.

jobs a job
  • Options
    Born on the 17th so Cellino wouldn't have him.
  • Options

I am surprised Leeds, Charlton or Reading never offered him the same sort of role, loved at all 3 clubs

He's a Northern lad at heart though isn't he? And Leeds is a clusterf*** run by a lunatic. I imagine he wanted to keep playing but realised it just wasn't going to happen, so took a first step into coaching/management and got to move closer to home in the process.
  • Options
    no chance he was coming back to coach at the new valley, he's too much of the old style british footballer to fit into the new continental charlton. absolutely top chap though!
  • Options
    Apparently he's still going to be registered as a player for Bolton. Probably more of an emergency backup.

"Bolton Wanderers have appointed Andy Hughes as a professional development coach.

Hughes, 36, was most recently on the books of Charlton Athletic and made a total of eight appearances last season.

He will work across the club’s under-21 and academy sides in his new role at Bolton.

Hughes brings a vast amount of experience to the club, having played in over 600 senior games across the Football League for the likes of Norwich City, Reading and Leeds United. He has four Football League promotions under his belt.

As well as his new role, Hughes will also be registered as a member of the playing squad."
  • Options
    Good luck to Andy in his new job.

Will make himself a popular figure there in very short time.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2014
    thenewbie said:

He's a Northern lad at heart though isn't he? And Leeds is a clusterf*** run by a lunatic. I imagine he wanted to keep playing but realised it just wasn't going to happen, so took a first step into coaching/management and got to move closer to home in the process.
    I guess the offer came up and he decided to take it. I'm sure he could have continued playing, but maybe didn't fancy turning out for a 4th tier team...
  • Options
    Bolton appear to be a stable club. When you're unemployed a job is a job and he needs to start somewhere if coaching / management is his career path. As others have said he would have been welcomed by the fans at his previous clubs, but maybe their backroom teams did not want / need him right now. Obviously personality isn't everything. If it was Powell would have been given a life contract at The Valley. Still sad that he's not our gaffer. No matter who comes after him, they will not replace him. Maybe the same can be said for the likes of Hughes in the dressing room.

So who is our current dressing room man to lead and motivate?
  • Options

So who is our current dressing room man to lead and motivate?

Bob Peeters
    Johnnie Jackson
    Michael Morrison
  • Options
    Top lad and obviously a huge influence on the whole club, from the 1st team all the way through to the youngest players. He turned up at the youth games, always encouraging and just seemed a great guy to have around.

Just like Corster...will always get a great reception at The Valley. Good luck Hughesy!
  • Options
    We never lose
  • Options

Bolton appear to be a stable club.

Isn't it Bolton who are in the region of £160m in debt? I wouldnt call that stable...................
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Bolton appear to be a stable club.

Isn't it Bolton who are in the region of £160m in debt? I wouldnt call that stable...................
    That's what I was thinking!

They are owned by reclusive billionaire Eddie Davies but must be bleeding money like crazy - how much longer will he support those kinds of losses?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/31/bolton-wanderers-debt-increase

Will probably go the way of Blackburn in relatively short order.
  • Options
    Wish Andy good luck in his new job. Another nice bloke.
  • Options
    That's why you never want Allardyce or Redknapp in charge of your club. 'I never spent no money', only just more on wages than the club earns.

I guess it's a short contract, and he'll be guaranteed wages at a stable club untile Davies gives the club away for a quid.
  • Options
    Wish he was still with our Academy - seems a great guy which the youngsters respect - cannot ask for more
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Top man a loss in the dressing room and training ground more than on the pitch now. Good luck Hughesy.
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Wish he was still with our Academy - seems a great guy which the youngsters respect - cannot ask for more

No reason why he can't come back at some point in the future. Sometimes you need to step away to take your career in a new direction, so perhaps going straight to our Academy would not give him the perspective and critical distance you need in a coaching role?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Taking charge of the bolton first team today . Hope he does well there
  • Options
    Agree. Was a good member of the quad. If not, one of the best in terms of boosting team morale.
  • Options
    He was assisted by ex ebbsfleet and Margate keeper Lee Turner I noticed.
  • Options
    Bolton-supporting mate all doom and gloom, though it did look from the FLS highlights that they were a bit better yesterday. Hope they don't get new manager bounce until November!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Cue BWFC fan starting a "I'm begging you" thread
  • Options
    Just saw him on the FLS. Completely managed to miss that he was going to be in charge. Must have been loving Yann getting sent off