Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Liam Ridgewell

I see he's signed for the Portland Timbers in the MLS.

Still only 30 and would surely have made a good signing for us.

Comments

• Options
    We are not exactly in need of centre backs!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    He played well Friday night on his debut - (speaking here as a PTFC fan). The defence desperately needed strengthening with the big pre-season signing, the experienced Argentinian Paparatto failing to impress so far.
  • Options
    knew his brother they come from north west kent i think.
  • Options
    Bexleyheath family. Liam is a Charlton fan.
  • Options
    Sure hes played left back most the time
  • Options
    Yeah went to Bexleyheath School with a friend I used to know... Started out at Left Back before converting to Centre-Back - I guess after leaving West Brom his only other option was Wolves seeing he's played for all the other Birmingham teams
  • Options
    Always looked good on the ball but his career seems to have steadily declined - although he has doubtless made a shitload of cash anyway!
  • Options
    I think he used to play for Long Lane in Kidbroke. I played for them too!
  • Options

Yeah went to Bexleyheath School with a friend I used to know... Started out at Left Back before converting to Centre-Back - I guess after leaving West Brom his only other option was Wolves seeing he's played for all the other Birmingham teams

As a youth player in the Bexley Leagues and with BS he was a left winger / left forward. Surprised when he eventually made in the prem as a centre back!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    This thread so far is one of the reasons why I love this site. A Portland Timbers supporter, and plenty of informed local knowledge in just a few entries.
  • Options
    Huge fan of Portland as a place to go, gutted my last show got cancelled as id have loved to see the timbers play
  • Options
    buckshee said:

He is a qpr fan and his dad and brother support palace. Played for long lane with my brother and went Bexleyheath school.

Started out as a striker and used to bang them in for long lane before moving up to villa at about 15/16. Then became a centre back.
  • Options
    Yeah why can't we sign a PL defender? Not like we couldn't afford his wages. RD out!
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Believe he is QPR
  • Options
    Remember when he joined Villa he grew about a foot taller within months. Dunno what they were feeding him.

Played against him a few times for the school and although he was good, Bexleyheath had players as good as him, if not better.
  • Options
    http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/April 1, 2014 Salary Information - Alphabetical.pdf

This makes for interesting reading given MLS salaries are in the public domain. I would guess Ridgewell is on approx $1m pa.

I wonder how Ruben Bover feels knowing teammate Tim Cahill earns 100x more than him?
  • Options
    interesting that Henry earns less than Defoe, Bradley etc.
  • Options
    Some massive variation in salaries paid, for the majority of the British expats, the salaries are in the main nothing special when compared to what Charlton I imagine pay,

Lloyd Sam, $136,500, Bover $36,500, Dom Dwyer $80,000, BWP 330,000, Nigel Reo-Coker 400,000,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    was it not Ridgewell who pictures were taken of using money as toilet roll
  • Options

was it not Ridgewell who pictures were taken of using money as toilet roll

Its was. Although it was a joke amongst his mates that the media went well over the top on.
  • Options
    Was he not once upon a time a mascot at the Valley?
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Was he not once upon a time a mascot at the Valley?

Yes, it was Charlton v LIverpool at Selhurst Park.

• Options
    I have played against his brother on a Sunday in the Kent Suburban League
  • Options
    His Brother is a friend of a friend, and he is very much a Palace fan, as for Liam, not sure.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    My brother played for the Junior Robins back in the late 1980's he was a team mate of Liam's brother and Liam would come along with his family and kick around with the subs and other players brothers, he was a cracking little player even as a lad.
  • Options

buckshee said:

He is a qpr fan and his dad and brother support palace. Played for long lane with my brother and went Bexleyheath school.

Started out as a striker and used to bang them in for long lane before moving up to villa at about 15/16. Then became a centre back.
    You missed out his most successful move which was leaving Long Lane to join the proper team in the area, Villacourt Rovers.
  • Options
    They used to have some class games them 2. Remember watching my brother in the London cup final. Think Liam got a hat trick. Did Michael Turner play for villacourt.
  • Options
    Pilchard will be interested in this photo. Junior Robins about to K.O. against a team from op north. Two cute little mascots - the one on the left is my little hero, the one on the right is Liam. I wonder how much HK I could have charged, had the roles had been reversed? Anyway it proves Liam once wore a Charlton shirt!