Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Relegation odds

I've just had a look at William Hill's website and we are third favorites for relegation?

Blackpool 5/6
Millwall 2/1
Charlton 5/2
Rotherham 11/4
Huddersfield 3/1
Leeds 7/2
Birmingham 4/1
Brentford 4/1
Sheffield Wednesday 4/1

I know we are all a little more enthusiastic about our signings, but the bookies are not. normally, too far away.

Comments

• I've just had a look at William Hill's website and we are third favorites for relegation?

Blackpool 5/6
    Millwall 2/1
    Charlton 5/2
    Rotherham 11/4
    Huddersfield 3/1
    Leeds 7/2
    Birmingham 4/1
    Brentford 4/1
    Sheffield Wednesday 4/1

I know we are all a little more enthusiastic about our signings, but the bookies are not. normally, too far away.

Just like when the bookies predicted us to finish 16th and we won the league? Pure guesswork at this stage
  • edited July 2014
    I can't believe there hasn't been another thread on this already? What are the bookies playing at?
  • might be worth laying at those odds.
  • Fuck em!
  • Wendies at 4/1 for relegation, a massive wager perhaps?
  • But I thought the Wendies were going to be buying the league like we apparently did a few years ago?
  • I suspect the bookies have got us massively wrong many times over the years, especially given the unpredictability of the second tier generally. I've no idea what our odds were when Curbs got us up through the play offs, but we were probably more fancied for relegation that season compared to 08-09...

similarly, 85-86 Lennie kept bringing new blood in the summer, not big names but decent (i thought). The bookies took no notice, our odds to win the division were something like 40-1. I'm not a prolific better, but i got on for each-way then, and i will do the same again this time round...
  • I think Burnley were fancied for relegation by the bookies at the beginning of last season.
  • As I recall paddy power had us EVENS for a Champions spot as soon as Dowie signed hasslebaink...
  • I'm going to start a betting thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've just had a look at William Hill's website and we are third favorites for relegation?

Blackpool 5/6
    Millwall 2/1
    Charlton 5/2
    Rotherham 11/4
    Huddersfield 3/1
    Leeds 7/2
    Birmingham 4/1
    Brentford 4/1
    Sheffield Wednesday 4/1

lousy odds. Every one of those is better on the exchanges.
  • Odds are always better on the exchanges.
  • I bet they are
  • Fuck em!

I agree and furthermore I will be putting a ton on us to win the freakin league.
  • Re my last post above.

I'm 47 years old and have bet in the bookies three times in my life. Once on us winning the playoff final against Sunderland, Once on us winning league 1 with SCP and once on us winning next season. COYR.
  • And I always bet a Ton.
  • scidbox said:

Re my last post above.

I'm 47 years old and have bet in the bookies three times in my life. Once on us winning the playoff final against Sunderland, Once on us winning league 1 with SCP and once on us winning next season. COYR.

C'mon skid we must be odds on to win at least once next season...
  • I'm going to start a betting thread.

Someone should
  • scidbox said:

Fuck em!

I agree and furthermore I will be putting a ton on us to win the freakin league.
    Putting a ton on us to win the league is an odd ploy to fuck em!
  • Sponsored links:

• If your feeling optimistic we are 9/1 with Paddy P to finish top six
  • I suspect the bookies have got us massively wrong many times over the years, especially given the unpredictability of the second tier generally. I've no idea what our odds were when Curbs got us up through the play offs, but we were probably more fancied for relegation that season compared to 08-09...

similarly, 85-86 Lennie kept bringing new blood in the summer, not big names but decent (i thought). The bookies took no notice, our odds to win the division were something like 40-1. I'm not a prolific better, but i got on for each-way then, and i will do the same again this time round...

Back in the play off year I had a score at 50 to 1 on a double of us to go up to and the Nigels to come down from the Premier same season .Very pleased with that when it came off but particularly also about the fact that I picked a palace fan from general office to collect my winnings . The mug however failed to throw the betting slip( and his job ) away which I might have done in his shoes . I also made him count out the cash £20 note by note in front of the rest of general office before handing it over. Great days !
  • We are 20:1 for promotion. I might throw a few quid on or simply enjoy it as the odds come down.
  • At them odds Brentford are the best bet for relegation
  • We are 20:1 for promotion. I might throw a few quid on or simply enjoy it as the odds come down.

Oh, dont you just love the ignorance,sorry,confidence of pre-season.

Brentford have signed Odubajo from Orient (1m), Hogan from Rochdale (650k), and Pritchard on loan from Spurs to name a few. Now strong rumours of Patrick Bamford! They are in my opinion suited hugely to the Championship... I don't expect them to go down, their confidence from last season will run into this one.

Brentford have signed Odubajo from Orient (1m), Hogan from Rochdale (650k), and Pritchard on loan from Spurs to name a few. Now strong rumours of Patrick Bamford! They are in my opinion suited hugely to the Championship... I don't expect them to go down, their confidence from last season will run into this one.
    Wow, 1.6m on players from league 1 and 2. I expect them to survive but if they go down will they be in trouble or do they have a rich owner
  • Madness. We get our league one players on frees.

Blackpool 5/6
    Millwall 2/1
    Charlton 5/2
    Rotherham 11/4
    Huddersfield 3/1
    Leeds 7/2
    Birmingham 4/1
    Brentford 4/1
    Sheffield Wednesday 4/1

bookies are not wrong overall, but on specific cases they can be very wrong. that is why people bet, because there is a chance of winning. what they know is that one team will win the, two other teams will go up and three teams will go down. the odds are calculated to give them a profit regardless of the outcome and a slight gamble on how many people will place a bet. but given they can change the odds as the season goes on, they can make sure they get their money back regardless of betting patterns.

it is a bit of a myth to say 'bookies say team X is favourite for relegation. bookies never lie. team X is going down' because you can find lots of cases where they get it wrong. the thing they get right is that they will always make money.

Wow, 1.6m on players from league 1 and 2. I expect them to survive but if they go down will they be in trouble or do they have a rich owner
    He's quite well off, new ground too sure, it's a good place to be Brentford, team on the up if they can steady the ship in the Championship!