Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gerrard retires from international football

Comments

• Should of retired 4 years ago
  • Thank god for that!
  • Well after his display and the England's performance I am not surprissed.
    In the past, he has been an outstanding player for us, and one of the few players that we had that could have got into other countries teams.
    Big question now...... who is the next captain?
  • edited July 2014
    Thank god that awful Lampard / Gerrard England partnership is now broken up.
  • Good player can still preform internationally. He disappointed in the World Cup this year. When a players branded as being world class, they are expected to preform at a world class level, not mediocre performances every tournament. I'm not bothered about him players wise as we still have young midfielders who could fill his gap and deserve a chance internationally anyway.
  • Good.

Maybe now we'll start to build a team rather than try to fit around players like Stevie G (sic) who have constantly underperformed at international level.
  • Good.

Great club player, like so many others never translated into International form.

Him moving aside will help Wilshere/Barkley/Shelvey etc. get constant game-time for England and start to build a new team around them.
  • Great player in his day and still capable of brilliance, but way past his best and a timely step away. Certainly thank him for his past service but look forward to a good replacement. I'm one of the Rooney fans but I hope Roy doesn't make him captain.
  • He's been fantastic for Liverpool but I can't think of too many occasions he excelled for England.
  • Good. We need to move forward.
  • Sponsored links:

• No big surprise. Despite his amount of caps he's been an abject failure at international level.
  • no surprise there....great player, but time to go
  • Complete indifference.

His slouching demeanour during the various National Anthems of his international career exemplified his interest (or rather lack thereof) in the honour of representing his country.

A few crocodile tears after our recent World Cup capitulation as a cynical ploy to try and keep the tabloid pack off his back doesn't "cut it" (to use the modern vernacular) for me I'm afraid.
  • I actually think he has been one of the better England players over the last 10 years.
  • alex ferguson was right about him
  • Can't see beyond Hart or Rooney for the captaincy. Not sure that either is a perfect fit for it, but they're probably the only ones from the current bunch who are guaranteed starters.

Maybe Gary Cahill, not sure you could yet consider him as a senior member of the squad though.
  • thank the lords
  • Quality player, i think the time is just about right though. I would still have him right now but maybe not in 2 years at the Euros and we need to try and build something for that tournament.
  • Sponsored links:

• not disappointed. I've no doubt it was an honour for him to play for england and wear the captains armband but never seemed able to take his club football onto the international stage, he isn't alone, in that.
  • 34, the right time for him to go (unlike say Lahm who's going at least 2 years too early)
  • Didnt he retire after England beat Germany 5-1 in Munich? He hasnt put in half-decent performance for England since then.
  • edited July 2014
    He's always been decent enough, but never world class. It was just the typical English media who make our players out to be far better than what they actually are. Whenever we have a half decent player coming through, remember that there is always a better one coming through to another national team. This is why we need to reconstruct grass roots level and not rely on one or two good players I.e Barkley and Sterling.
  • Good.

Great club player, like so many others never translated into International form.

Him moving aside will help Wilshere/Barkley/Shelvey etc. get constant game-time for England and start to build a new team around them.

Definitely think that him moving aside will help get younger players involved at an earlier stage in their career. Not Wilshere though. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say he's never going to impact at the international level and he's the tier below what it takes to be top class. In fact he's 2 tiers below. A) he plays for a team that get smoke blown up their arse despite not actually winning anything. B) he's overpaid and really rates himself.

If anything I can see me putting up a similar thread in 12 years time about Wilshere's retirement from intl football whereby I refer back to this and say 'should've packed it in at 22'
  • cabbles said:

Good.

Definitely think that him moving aside will help get younger players involved at an earlier stage in their career. Not Wilshere though. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say he's never going to impact at the international level and he's the tier below what it takes to be top class. In fact he's 2 tiers below. A) he plays for a team that get smoke blown up their arse despite not actually winning anything. B) he's overpaid and really rates himself.

If anything I can see me putting up a similar thread in 12 years time about Wilshere's retirement from intl football whereby I refer back to this and say 'should've packed it in at 22'
    C) He blows smoke up his own arse.

Not dedicated enough to succeed at international level.
  • To be fair , i thought he was one of our best players at the last Euro's , i thought he was shocking (carrying an injury at the World cup?).

There's no way his body would be able to cope with Internationals and Champs league this season , he's made the right move , shows about bad the English team is that he was getting picked at 34, when clearly his legs had gone.
  • cabbles said:

Good.

Harsh to write off a young guy like that.

Could always do a Ramsey where he suddenly develops into a quality player out of nowhere.

Every English player is overpaid, you could write them all off with that.
  • cabbles said:

Good.

Harsh to write off a young guy like that.

Could always do a Ramsey where he suddenly develops into a quality player out of nowhere.

Every English player is overpaid, you could write them all off with that.
    I know, I know. But I've seen it so many times now:( There are some that I genuinely do feel have the quality and the right attitude such as Barkley. I just think Wilshere will be another flop.
  • I do feel for Gerrard in the way it ended although the timing is about right. Football is a game of small margins, Kroos makes a horrendous error in the final and is let off by Higuain's miss, Gerrard get's a slight flick on a lump forward and Suarez tucks it away brilliantly.

Think he has been one of our more consistent performers over the past 6 years or so.