Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mensa

Does anyone know anything about mensa and the scoring system they use?

My daughter was put forward by her school to do the test and she just received an offer of membership as she is in the top 1%

Is it good to put this sort of info onto a cv for future reference?

Comments

• edited July 2014
    I don't think you need to be a member of Mensa to work out something like that would look good on any CV... ;0)

You must be so pleased and proud Creepy? Well done to her!
  • Yes mate always proud of her! I just wondered if it would look a bit pretentious to a future employer!
  • A lot of people take the test just so they can add it to their cv.
  • edited July 2014
    I know a few people in mensa, they don't usually add it to their CV but your daughter is still at school, so it may look good on a job / uni application.
  • Thank you everyone
  • If I. Saw Mensa on a potential employees cv it would be a stand out feature and would help towards getting an interview and that is the objective of a cv.

• excellent news thanks Kap
  • I know a few people in mensa, they don't usually add it to their CV but your daughter is still at school, so it may look ggod on a job / uni application.

I agree with this. For uni/first job application it looks good as extra curricular activities are very important at that stage

Any older and it's debatable whether it should be on the cv
  • Sponsored links:

• rina said:

I know a few people in mensa, they don't usually add it to their CV but your daughter is still at school, so it may look ggod on a job / uni application.

I agree with this. For uni/first job application it looks good as extra curricular activities are very important at that stage

Any older and it's debatable whether it should be on the cv
    Too many CV's look alike, same experiences etc,. if you have something that stands out then use it, but use it carefully .. at any stage of your career.

So if you are 35 and you are a member of Mensa, its an interesting fact about you that may make you stand out, but don't have it as your main selling point, its what you can do for me. What will really make you stand out is your achievements, the mention of mensa is a shorthand way of saying I am intelligent (as measured in a certain way), the achievments show me that you are intelligent and not a dick!!

• Being a member of MENSA shows you are a 'bright' person. It does not necessarily mean you'd be good at a particular job but I can't see any harm in putting it on a CV. I agree that it probably wouldn't be something to put on your CV as you get older as there would be other more relevant things to offer but as a starting point it wouldn't do any harm. It shows your daughter has a good brain in her head and good luck to her Creepy. :-)
  • Thank you for your info chaps, it shows to me that she loves to learn and always has, once she gets a subject between her teeth there's no stopping her. She keeps getting taken on different courses and trips as she is on the schools gifted and talented list and its good to see that her school is recognising this and pushing her as hard as they can.
    She's already got her work life planned out!
    A multilingual vet who runs a dance school in the evenings no less...
  • Kap10 said:

If I. Saw Mensa on a potential employees cv it would be a stand out feature and would help towards getting an interview and that is the objective of a cv.

Really? MENSA membership is based solely on iq tests, right? If so, then iq tests are useless as a measure of intelligence. All they show is an aptitude for passing iq tests. I say this as someone who is 'good' at them as well.
    I'm with Leroy on this. I personally would wonder why they did the test in the first place if it wasn't done through the school.
  • edited July 2014

Kap10 said:

If I. Saw Mensa on a potential employees cv it would be a stand out feature and would help towards getting an interview and that is the objective of a cv.

Really? MENSA membership is based solely on iq tests, right? If so, then iq tests are useless as a measure of intelligence. All they show is an aptitude for passing iq tests. I say this as someone who is 'good' at them as well.
    Really!! IQ tests are considered a measure of intelligence or brightness. As I said they go towards helping someone get an interview, they are not the be all and end all.

• IQ's as a measure of a person's so called intelligence are now totally discredited. It is best to talk about skills and aptitudes as they have far more relevance for a young person's life. IQ's supposedly above 150 are complete and utter tosh, all Mensa does is appeal to idiots who like to appear superior to others.
  • IQ's as a measure of a person's so called intelligence are now totally discredited. It is best to talk about skills and aptitudes as they have far more relevance for a young person's life. IQ's supposedly above 150 are complete and utter tosh, all Mensa does is appeal to idiots who like to appear superior to others.

100% agree. And my iq is over 150. They don't mean a thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• My medium term objective is to get my IQ higher than my waistline. Very long way to go :)
  • I know two members of MENSA - they're both bloody idiots to be honest.

Smart, but idiots none the less.
  • I've been away for a week and I had doubts about sharing my views on this subject as I have a tendency to, unintentionally, offend people from time to time.

Creepy, you don't say how old your daughter is but I would say that when applying to secondary schools, and especially, looking for a scholarship for a top performing school (specifically a non-selective private school) mention of MENSA will be an advantage. Schools that charge big fees to provide better results than others will want above average students to boost their results and increase demand for their places. High IQ tests are no guarantee but are normally associated with getting good results in academic examinations.

In just about every other situation, however, I would advise caution. The general consensus among most of the people I've worked with would be that putting something like that on one's CV once one is looking for paid employment would suggest that the applicant is either arrogant and has an elitist streak or is insecure and uses MENSA to make up for it. Neither of these character traits make an employee popular, nor does it make assimilation into the organisation easier.

I would even go as far as to say that some feel insulted by this type of thing as it can read, on paper, as 'I am cleverer than you!' I know of more than one occasion when something that gave that type of impression on a CV earned an interview (and a very tough one at that) when there was never any intention of offering them the job. The objective of the interview was to provide the interviewer with the opportunity to make the candidate squirm and there was excessive focus on MENSA and why that, specifically, made them a better candidate than all the others that had been selected for interview.

In fact, I would do as far as to say that I wouldn't tell anyone other than close family if my son was given such an honor. Human nature being what it is as soon as my back was turned I would expect jealousy and resentment to cause people to say spiteful things about my 'bragging' about how much cleverer my son is than theirs.

It's ironic, really, but some of the things that make us parents most proud are the things that we should keep to ourselves.

I do hope I have not offended anyone with this, but I, genuinely, think that this is one of those things best left off a CV, personally.
  • Addickted said:

I know two members of MENSA - they're both bloody idiots to be honest.

Beat me to it. There is a guy i work with who delights it telling us he is a member of Mensa but he's 41 and still lives with his parents and has the social skills of a brick.
  • MENSA is some creepy elitist bullcrap. With Leroy on this.
  • What's an IQ and how can I get one? Is it worth looking on eBay?
  • When I was in my twenties (I am nearly 70 now), I was given the chance to join Mensa by filling in a Questionnair, when I was told I had passed I was delighted until they said they wanted money for membership I realised, although I believe I am probably about average, or hopefully just above, intelligent, I am not that stupid as to believe I need a bit of paper to tell me so.
  • Leuth said:

MENSA is some creepy elitist bullcrap. With Leroy on this.

So someone who does something you don't agree with or don't like or perhaps couldn't achieve is creepy and elitist ?

Grow up.

Well done @creepyaddick‌ and his daughter.
  • Addickted said:

I know two members of MENSA - they're both bloody idiots to be honest.

I know a lot of people who are not members of MENSA .. Some of them are idiots!
  • Surprised not to find MSE7 posting on the thread.