Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Friendly at Portsmouth 2nd August

I know its a way away, but I thought i'd share with you some of the other attractions that Pompey has in order that you can arrange your weekend around the footy - and also i know that some of you dont have the highest regard for the City nor its people , so i thought i'd put forward some of the other places for you to visit in this historic and fascinating City.

Firstly, let me state the bleedin, by saying that the closest train station is Fratton, but you still have a circa 10 minute walk to the ground. However, 2 stops on (about 5 mins on train) from Fratton is Portsmouth Harbour, which is where you need to go to get to most of the attractions mentioned below.

Places to visit..
1) Historic Dockyard.
You can buy a daily ticket (not cheap, but very much worth it) and you can visit HMS Victory, Mary Rose, HMS Warrior (which i always find fascinating not only as it was the first steel ship , but this was the transition period when they started to use projectiles instead of huge balls as weaponry), Action Stations (great for 10-14 year olds, and also has a Harrier simulator and a Helicopter simulator too).
Also, as part of your ticket there is a tour of the Harbour on the tourist boat. Little hint, get off at Gunwharf Quays - this is the new Shopping Centre based on an Outlet theme and has, amongst others, outlets for M&S (yes), Oakley,Timberland,Adidas and Nike. Also, nothing better to do on a nice sunny day than to sit outside at All Bar One and watch the boats and girls....sorry.... life walking by. Lots of eating and drinking places at Gunwharf including Jamies Italian,Carluccios,Wagamammas and lots more.
Also part of your ticket is a little gem of a place that not many people know about which is the Submarine Museum at Haslar Creek in Gosport , where you can get a guided tour of HMS Alliance, which has just re-opened after a 3m lottery funded facelift. Highly recommended. There is a ferry from Gunwharf which will take you there for free as part of ticket.
http://www.submarine-museum.co.uk/
You'll also find out the origin of 'Up the Creek without a paddle'!..http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/up_the_creek

If you want to spend Saturday night in the City then the place to stay is The Royal Maritime Club - a charitable trust that is meant to be for old retired sailors but is also opened for anyone else too recently - its not The Hilton, but a functional (very) cheap hotel , a short walk away from PMH station and also Gunwharf....http://www.royalmaritimeclub.co.uk/

Anothe hint, DONT go up Spinnaker Tower - it aint worth it for the money.

Other places include Dickens Birthplace, Brunels Birthplace and many others.

Hope you enjoy, and generally dispel the myth of Portsmouth being a dump !
End of Portsmouth Tourist Board lecture!

COYR !

Comments

• Options
    Gunwharf Quays for shopping before the game
  • Options

Sorry Pres but living in Southampton everyone here knows that Portsmouth is a dump.

Although Southampton ain't much better.

At least Soton has an IKEA !

One thing i forgot to mention for the cricket fans out there, is that there are 2 QF's for the 20/20 being played that night - could well be that one of them will be at The Rose Bowl, which is 15 mins up the M27 towards Soton - Junc 8.
  • Options

Sorry Pres but living in Southampton everyone here knows that Portsmouth is a dump.

Although Southampton ain't much better.

Plus, as someone born and bred in Woolwich, i suppose anywhere else is Utopia.
  • Options
    Any idea what Portsmouth normally charge for a friendly?

Really looking forward to this game.
  • Options

It wasnt a lot remembering back to last year - tenner springs to mind.
  • Options
    always had a bit of a soft spot for Pompey, comes from the FAC 4th round 76 ? Biggest away following I have ever seen at The Valley
  • Options

always had a bit of a soft spot for Pompey, comes from the FAC 4th round 76 ? Biggest away following I have ever seen at The Valley

Yep, remember that too - made a huge racket - wasnt George Graham playing for Pompey that day? remember drawing and we beat them at Fratton ? they do have fantastic support - and interestingly most clubs in L2 last season had their highest attendance of the season when Pompey visited simply because of the volume of away support.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Not sure about George Graham (suppose I better add - I was very young !!), but you are right we beat them in replay at Fratton Park - 3 1 I think.
  • Options

it was pay what you want from a quid upwards last year!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mike said:

it was pay what you want from a quid upwards last year!
    Of course , yes, how could i forget !

I think i paid a quid !
  • Options
    cant see them getting as big crowd as last year then. Pretty sure there was over 10k in there?
  • Options
    After living there for 3 years as a student I would say save your pennies on the tourist stuff and get yourself down to Hong Kong Charlie's by the common, great vodka bar with loads of different flavours. Just what's needed before a pre season friendly in the sun.

Taxis are nice and cheap down there too, aqua has shed loads of cars and always gets you within couple of minutes. 02392 all the 6's
  • Options
    We had a great time in Portsmouth last year. We went for the football but loved the Mary Rose museum. Worth going for that alone.
  • Options

I know its a way away, but I thought i'd share with you some of the other attractions that Pompey has in order that you can arrange your weekend around the footy - and also i know that some of you dont have the highest regard for the City nor its people , so i thought i'd put forward some of the other places for you to visit in this historic and fascinating City.

Firstly, let me state the bleedin, by saying that the closest train station is Fratton, but you still have a circa 10 minute walk to the ground. However, 2 stops on (about 5 mins on train) from Fratton is Portsmouth Harbour, which is where you need to go to get to most of the attractions mentioned below.

Places to visit..
    1) Historic Dockyard.
    You can buy a daily ticket (not cheap, but very much worth it) and you can visit HMS Victory, Mary Rose, HMS Warrior (which i always find fascinating not only as it was the first steel ship , but this was the transition period when they started to use projectiles instead of huge balls as weaponry), Action Stations (great for 10-14 year olds, and also has a Harrier simulator and a Helicopter simulator too).
    Also, as part of your ticket there is a tour of the Harbour on the tourist boat. Little hint, get off at Gunwharf Quays - this is the new Shopping Centre based on an Outlet theme and has, amongst others, outlets for M&S (yes), Oakley,Timberland,Adidas and Nike. Also, nothing better to do on a nice sunny day than to sit outside at All Bar One and watch the boats and girls....sorry.... life walking by. Lots of eating and drinking places at Gunwharf including Jamies Italian,Carluccios,Wagamammas and lots more.
    Also part of your ticket is a little gem of a place that not many people know about which is the Submarine Museum at Haslar Creek in Gosport , where you can get a guided tour of HMS Alliance, which has just re-opened after a 3m lottery funded facelift. Highly recommended. There is a ferry from Gunwharf which will take you there for free as part of ticket.
    You'll also find out the origin of 'Up the Creek without a paddle'!..http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/up_the_creek

If you want to spend Saturday night in the City then the place to stay is The Royal Maritime Club - a charitable trust that is meant to be for old retired sailors but is also opened for anyone else too recently - its not The Hilton, but a functional (very) cheap hotel , a short walk away from PMH station and also Gunwharf....http://www.royalmaritimeclub.co.uk/

COYR !

I think I am correct in saying the daily ticket actually lasts for a year which means you can go back. Too much to see in 1 day.
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Places to visit..
    1) Historic Dockyard.

COYR !

I think I am correct in saying the daily ticket actually lasts for a year which means you can go back. Too much to see in 1 day.
    No. you can buy a daily ticket or you can buy a Yearly ticket for not a lot more (think its circa 60 squid for a family yearly ticket - but highly worth it) against circa 30 quid for a daily family ticket.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Cheers, looking forward to this game, as i missed last years friendly.

Quick journey on the ferry and then in one of the pubs before, hopefully a good day out.
  • Options

Places to visit..
    1) Historic Dockyard.

COYR !

This.

For me it is one of my favourite places. As a child my Nan lived in a nearby town called Lee on Solent and I had an annual trip there every summer . One year I saw Roger Daltrey filming Tommy by Southsea Pier.

Around 15 years ago I needed to travel often to Portsmouth and Southampton for work and I made a point of staying overnight and revisited many of my childhood haunts.

I love the Brunel and Dickens connections because they are so random , neither man has an obvious connection with Portsmouth . Add the City's other famous son Jim Callaghan and you have a good trivia question which would almost be impossible to work out.

• Options

On their website, going to cost £10
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, remember that FA Cup game. They had at least 10,000 on the open end, we went 1.0 up through a Bob Curtis penalty but couldn`t quite get the second goal to kill the game off and they equalised late about 87 mins through Norman Piper(I think)!

We went to Fratton on the following Tuesday or Wednesday and won 3.0 in the replay and we had a big support in the 32,000 crowd that night. The crowd at the home tie was given as 26,000~(yeah right)
  • Options
    Had a great day/night down in Portsmouth last year, gutted can't make this game
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Yes, remember that FA Cup game. They had at least 10,000 on the open end, we went 1.0 up through a Bob Curtis penalty but couldn`t quite get the second goal to kill the game off and they equalised late about 87 mins through Norman Piper(I think)!

We went to Fratton on the following Tuesday or Wednesday and won 3.0 in the replay and we had a big support in the 32,000 crowd that night. The crowd at the home tie was given as 26,000~(yeah right)

Went to the valley game. 3 defenders scored in the replay if my memory serves me.
  • Options
    kafka said:

E-cafc said:

Went to the valley game. 3 defenders scored in the replay if my memory serves me.
    Mark Penfold was one. Didnt think it was Bob Curtis in first game, surely he was long gone.
  • Options
    Go see the Mary Rose.
    Then compare with the job Jose's got to do at Blackpool getting a pile of rotten shit out of deep water! (Karl Oyston that is…)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    E-cafc said:

I was there at Fratton because I was a studentthere, and I certainly don't remember a big Charlton support. It was a bit like the jasper Carrott sketch. My two great buddies at the time were Pompey stalwarts, and give them credit they turned up afterwards at the Tricorn disco where I felt free to make a number of highly public observations.

Bizarrely I nearly got into a fight I was bound to lose two weeks later in the Centre hotel when some bloke I had disagreed with about Peter Hunt's booking recognized me, even though his brain cells couldn't quite compute and he had to ask me if I was a Charlton fan. My Pompey mate negotiated an honorable settlement.

I never went back after graduation. I couldn't believe such a dump existed , with young people who had never made the 70 miles to London.

Have they demolished the Tricorn centre yet, Mr Pres.?

• Options
    There was an exihibtion to mark the tenth anniversary of the demolition this year.

http://www.portsmouthsociety.org.uk/news2014/Tricorn Controversy in Concrete exhibition flier.pdf
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I doubt there was a big Charlton support at Fratton, but to report a 26,000 attendance for The Valley game is a joke, Covered End was packed, open end 10,000 + pompey, East terrace had a healthy crowd (couldnt see many crush barriers, my benchmark)
  • Options
    SouthSea is worth popping down to ....nice walk along the front and some good pubs -