Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reza?

Haven't heard his name mentioned since the world cup - not in connection with Charlton anyway? Then today, heard a rumour he's not coming back to the club? I may genuinely have missed any news on this subject, but does anyone know what the situation is?

Comments

• What was the rumour you heard and where did you hear it?
  • I thought it strange, but maybe he is taking a break after the World Cup ?
  • Someone said on here he was due to meet up with the squad before tomorrows game
  • From someone I trust, he wasn't enjoying himself at the end of last season and was looking to move away and I'd posted about it a few times. If nothings changed in that respect he'll be a goner, but maybe a good WC will give him a new outlook on it.
  • No big loss if he leaves if you ask me. He had a good World Cup but he was dreadful for us.

Potential is there for him. He has football in him thats for sure...but if he wants to leave then in no way should we beg for him to stay, he can feck off.
  • No big loss if he leaves if you ask me. He had a good World Cup but he was dreadful for us.

Bob Peeters will disagree, said he is looking forward to working with him
  • edited July 2014

No big loss if he leaves if you ask me. He had a good World Cup but he was dreadful for us.

He is hardly going to say he isn't though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rizzo said:

No big loss if he leaves if you ask me. He had a good World Cup but he was dreadful for us.

I disagree. I think he actually brought something to the team last season, despite frequently being played out of position. He's hard-working, pacy, has excellent control, a willingness (and ability) to shoot and a decent attitude. I think he could do very well for us this season.

agree with all that

He is hardly going to say he isn't though.
    But he made a point of saying that, he never went through individual players, the question was are you happy with the squad and in answering he said he is really looking forward to working with Reza a player he has always admired and always wanted to manage at some point
  • edited July 2014
    I only remember him having like 3 really good games apart from that he was average, but he did show he can do it. He just needs to have some consistency in his performances. He showed in the World Cup what he can do it also. I think he thrives being a main figure in a team like he was for Iran, it motivates him for a better performance. If he can perform consistently he will be a good player for us.
  • Rizzo said:

I disagree. I think he actually brought something to the team last season, despite frequently being played out of position. He's hard-working, pacy, has excellent control, a willingness (and ability) to shoot and a decent attitude. I think he could do very well for us this season.

Excellent control? I must have missed that by following the ball every time it bounced off his shin when he tried to control it.
    Think you must have been looking at the wrong player then.

• Rizzo said:

Rizzo said:

Excellent control? I must have missed that by following the ball every time it bounced off his shin when he tried to control it.

Nope.
  • Rizzo said:

Rizzo said:

Nope.
    Unlike many of our players, Reza is actually capable of running with the ball at his feet, taking players on and retaining the ball in close quarters. If you missed that then you may as well have been looking at a different player.

Granted he often went down far too easily and was occasionally guilty of trying to do too much and losing possession but that does not make him a dreadful player.

• edited July 2014
    Only played 1 or 2 games in his natural position and had a couple of chances that he was unlucky with. The Leeds goal was a touch of class, but then Mooney scored a great goal against Gillingham and he's pony. I think I've seen enough in a CAFC and Iran shirt to think he will be an excellent player for us, but last season was a bit of a write-off for him in terms of trying not to get injured, being left out or playing in the wrong position.
  • Almonds said:

I only remember him having like 3 really good games apart from that he was average, but he did show he can do it. He just needs to have some consistency in his performances. He showed in the World Cup what he can do it also. I think he thrives being a main figure in a team like he was for Iran, it motivates him for a better performance. If he can perform consistently he will be a good player for us.

Not sure the whole team had that many good games last season. Lets put last season behind us and judge all the players on their performance with the new manager, new players, new pitch, manager and owner not in conflict and at least from the out set not in a desperate relegation battle
  • Sponsored links:

• Rizzo said:

Rizzo said:

Rizzo said:

Nope.
    Unlike many of our players, Reza is actually capable of running with the ball at his feet, taking players on and retaining the ball in close quarters. If you missed that then you may as well have been looking at a different player.

Granted he often went down far too easily and was occasionally guilty of trying to do too much and losing possession but that does not make him a dreadful player.

I don't think it's me who's been watching a different player for Charlton.
  • If only he could score goals though....
  • I'll judge him as a centre forward, not as a right winger.............

This 100%

Being a striker doesn't necessarily mean you can be moved out wide and still be as useful. His strongest position is centre forward without doubt. Ive seen Michael Morrison play right back but i would judge his ability on that.
  • Rizzo said:

Rizzo said:

Rizzo said:

Nope.

And yet, nobody else seems to be slating him...

• Reza is a good player as was shown at the World Cup. If he moves on, I will be disappointed. His problem last year, IMO, was that the longer the season went on, he took it upon himself to try and win games singlehandedly and didn't play for the team. That's possibly why he was only used sparingly by JR?
  • Reza has fantastic ball control. This was shown for us last year and at the world cup against top quality opposition. If Bob plays him up front, and the service is good, I can see him getting a fair amount of goals for us this year.
  • Would like to see him stay and think he could do very well. The circus that is Blackpool report that Jose is in dispute in that he is not being allowed to bring in three players he wants to form the spine of the team one of whom played in the World Cup........ could that be Reza?
  • Rizzo said:

Rizzo said:

Rizzo said:

Rizzo said:

Nope.

And yet, nobody else seems to be slating him...

I thought he was pretty poor. Pleasant to watch at times, as flair players generally are, but mostly ineffective, very little end product and knocked off the ball far too easily. Looked like the equivalent of the lad who looks like a genius playing 5-aside at goals but not got the brains or physical presence to reproduce it in a proper match.

Maybe he was played out of position most of the time, maybe he will do better playing up front. Will he get 15 goals next season? No. Will he get 10 goals next season? Highly unlikely. Will he make a critical contribution to a significant number of the goals scored by his teammates? Not on the evidence we've seen so far.