Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your Top Five.....Most disliked music artists/bands

Comments

• Options
    Glad to see some other people dislike The Smiths. Seems like everyone I know thinks they're geniuses. Awful band.

Coldplay
    Lana Del Ray
    Nicki Minaj
    Lily Allen

I don't really listen to the radio or much pop music so anyone who forces themselves into my consciousness through shameless self-promotion or deliberately creating controversy is high on my list of people who must be punished
  • Options
    I find this really difficult to compile, mainly as even bands I don't really care for may have one song which redeams them in my eyes.

For example Mumford And Sons would be on my list but I love their version of Tessellate.

The Smiths would be on for 99% of their dirge but I love how soon is now.

So I have to say anything remotely related to Simon Cowell is the best I can do
  • Options
    Thaid, with you on that. I bought one Smiths album for the wonderfull What Difference Does it Make, and because someone told me How Soon is Now was on there. It was'nt, and the rest of the album was, like the rest of their music,dire. However, they can't go in the top five when there are artists like Rihanna who could sing for eternity and never do anything other than s#17e.
  • Options
    Neil Diamond
    Tom Jones
    Led Zeppelin (prefer rusty door hinges)
    Bob Dylan
    Bruce Springsteen. (if he could only sing)
  • Options
    I find it hard to dislike musicians. They may not be my taste always, but if they give someone else pleasure I don't have to listen to it. It would have to be an attitudinal matter for me to dislike them. For that, Oasis clearly score well, although I actually like some of their music. They just behaved like ignorant wotsits when they played in Bangkok.

After that, I can only think of those that produce really irritating songs - The Spinners, The Signing Nun and the like.
  • Options
    Will.i.am - Actually don't a few of the songs he has worked on, I just can't stand him
    Kanye West - Just don't understand the fuss at all.
    Mumford & Sons - Contrived shite. Women seem to love it though, along with all the nonsense thats come up in the last couple of years about young blokes with massive beards.
    Arcade Fire - Overrated, basically a poor man's Beautiful South
    Bloc Party - don't get me started. Them and any of these other pretentious indie bands from the last 10 years or so who look like they should be on University Challenge.
  • Options
    This is actually quite tough. I don't like boy bands and most contemporary pop music, but I couldn;t name most of them to get annoyed about and list. I don't have to listen to stuff I don't like, thankfully.
    And I've revisited the stuff I used to dislike from when I was a teenager (early 80s soul/disco) and found it to be a lot better than I thought at the time. There's even stuff I find boring (I've fallen asleep to Buena Vista Social Club 3 times and given up) but I can't say I hate it.
    So, here goes a fairly random selection:
    1. Crass - mentioned this before, had loads of mates who loved them. Never got them at all. Still don't and life really is too short to try again.
    2. Manufactured stuff - Simon Cowell, etc. Not bothered or interested.
    3. Anyone using auto-tune for vocals. Hate it.
    4. Death metal. Don't get it.
    5. Musicals. My daughter's just getting into them. Gritted teeth for me
  • Options
    Leroy is the Paul Heaton thing something personal and beyond music as that seems a very strong reaction purely based on the songs of The Housemartins and The Beautiful South.
  • Options

Leroy is the Paul Heaton thing something personal and beyond music as that seems a very strong reaction purely based on the songs of The Housemartins and The Beautiful South.

Nope. The songs are excrement. His voice makes my shit itch. The lyrics are so far up themselves it's not true. Yes he comes across as a pretentious twat as well, but plenty of artists I love are pricks.
  • Options
    Bryan Adams, Sting, Bon Jovi, Galaxy, Simply Red.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cliff Richard
    David Essex
    Sweet
    Engelbert Humperdinck
    Robbie Williams
  • Options
    I met Paul Heaton in a pub in Hull a few years ago. He was a decent bloke, not at all 'celebrity'. Rick Witter from Shed Seven, now he's a different kettle of fish all together.........
  • Options

I met Paul Heaton in a pub in Hull a few years ago. He was a decent bloke, not at all 'celebrity'.

all the interviews i've heard have highlighted paul heaton is a pleasant everyday fella, and while i'm not a fan of his full body of work, his various outfits have certainly put out some top songs.

• Options
    Just listened to "Soup," collection of Housemartins and BS, Superbi, last BS album proves quite how Mr Heaton can fuse together so many genres of music. Dave Rotheray ain't a bad musician either. All have differing tastes, but did first and last BS gigs in London and they were awesome.
    And I cannot stand Coldplay:)
  • Options
    U2
    Muse
    Queen
    Coldplay
    Keane
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Will.i.am - Actually don't a few of the songs he has worked on, I just can't stand him
    Kanye West - Just don't understand the fuss at all.
    Mumford & Sons - Contrived shite. Women seem to love it though, along with all the nonsense thats come up in the last couple of years about young blokes with massive beards.
    Arcade Fire - Overrated, basically a poor man's Beautiful South
    Bloc Party - don't get me started. Them and any of these other pretentious indie bands from the last 10 years or so who look like they should be on University Challenge.

This as well. What the hell do people see in them??
  • Options

Nope. The songs are excrement. His voice makes my shit itch. The lyrics are so far up themselves it's not true. Yes he comes across as a pretentious twat as well, but plenty of artists I love are pricks.
    What ???? You must have heard different interviews to me. He comes across as a shy, modest, sort of guy, whenever I've heard him interviewed. Can't agree on the lyrics either.
    That's why this is an 'opinions' thread, rather than a 'facts' one.
  • Options

What ???? You must have heard different interviews to me. He comes across as a shy, modest, sort of guy, whenever I've heard him interviewed. Can't agree on the lyrics either.
    Well that's your opinion. Some may see it as a 'facts' thread. :-)
  • Options
    Ooh someone disagreeing with Leroy. This should be good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Im actually quite excited to see the results.

want the smiths @No.1
  • Options

I don't even know who the guy is.
  • Options

I don't even know who the guy is.
    for paul heaton 101, i suggest you start off with the beautiful south's "a little time" or "ill sail this ship alone" - he/they have more biting lyrical polemics but that's a good intro...
  • Options
    0898 Beautiful South. Old Red Eyes, We Are Each Other, Bell Bottomed Tear and the awesome 36D - IMHO their finest work. All about opinions, just think they made great music with lyrics subtlety ascerbic. World would be boring if we all liked the same thing wouldn't it!
  • Options
    Tribute bands
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Ooh someone disagreeing with Leroy. This should be good.

Wat?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    One man's meat is another man's poison and all that, but at the top of my list of musical awfulness is the well meaning but Godless sound of a group of small children trying to play recorders. Add an ensemble of small children scraping bows across violins to that and you have something that, whilst totally admirable for the effort and at times even the audacity, nonetheless generates within one the urge to do something terribly violent.
    In a nutshell -
    1-5 children armed with violins or recorders.
    (btw I know they are not technically a band/ artists, and everyone's got to start somewhere, but just thought I'd raise it. It's even worse than the Beautiful South ;-) )
  • Options
    The more I think about it the harder it is. I seem to dislike most music it seems. In particular though...

Anything from X Factor/BGT etc
    Boy bands/Girl bands
    Angst ridden "singer songwriters"
    Bands whose average song lasts 10 mins or more on average (boredom thresholds etc)
    Mumford and Sons
  • Options
    Paul Heaton now on bbc1 Leroy, go on tune in, you know you want to.
  • Options
    se7oaks said:

The more I think about it the harder it is. I seem to dislike most music it seems. In particular though...

Anything from X Factor/BGT etc
    Boy bands/Girl bands
    Angst ridden "singer songwriters"
    Bands whose average song lasts 10 mins or more on average (boredom thresholds etc)
    Mumford and Sons

What does that leave?