Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pre-season this year vs last year

A lot more transfer activity, a new pitch, financial stability, and Im feeling a lot more optimistic then the same time last year.

How is everyone else feeling about how the close/pre-season has gone compared to last year.

Comments

• Options
    Grounds for optimism this year. Still uncertain about the whole network thing but no doubt whatsoever that RD is spending money, tarting the place up etc and the squad is beginning to come together at least in terms of numbers. A mixture of hope and curiosity for me. Last year pre-season was just awful with a sense of stagnation and decline about the place. Hate the new kiut though!!!!
  • Options
    Good post, Henry "Bumpy" Irving.
  • Options
    And not to forget the new museum coming very soon so you can all come and see how much of "our Charlton" you have lost over the last 109 years ;-)
  • Options
    I hear the museum even has some cabinets and Roland has a museum badge so all good
  • Options
    Very hopeful this season but then I was last season in the hope there was some sort of plan in place. I always think there is huge importance in how you start the season and this year this could be even more important than in recent years. The win against Bournemouth in League 1 with the new CP team really gave good hope to fans. The deflating defeat with 10 men against the Hammers and JFH playing in midfield and an upcoming tough opening fixture list did the opposite. Still recall the worry of Curbishley's first season in sole charge when a 0-0 draw at Barnet and defeat to WBA raised concerns until the introduction of Bowyer.
    It does not make or break your season of course but an encouraging display at Brentford will hopefully set up a marker for a good season in prospect.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    well by all accounts, we are on a much more stable footing but the bumpy ride, as nicely described above, does make it seem somewhat precarious..

It takes time to build up a real trust and confidence in a radical owner like we have in Duchatelet. Its weird methods, unknowns and a lot less domestic comfort and reassurance from familiarity.

Football is indeed global and I think its an interesting proposal and makes sense to scale up ownership in a multinational network. Someone in Staprix must know
    what they are doing on the scouting side as SL have a terrific record on player asset return since RD took over. It was great to see a Charlton player at the World Cup. i

It is hardly CAFC1905 though is it? I can understand why some supporters might lose affinity with all the non-local influences. There has been a lot of change already with not much time for sentiment. No doubt more testing times to come. One thing that is truly CAFC is the fans ability to adapt and thrive in times of change...it is a friendly and welcoming club, everyone likes us because we care.

It's all a bit knife-edge given the whole issue of network governance is still up in the air... IMO this issue will snowball as it is going to give clubs a competitive advantage so the big boys may want in but how can you have a "mothership" of Barca with Spurs Lazio and Porto owned by UAE as a network? Its not competitive.

I was truly cheesed off with CAFC last summer as we were an embarrassament, or moreover those 2 punks had tainted us with a culture of crap and it was only ever going to get worse. They took liberties with the purchase ledger hanging out for their big deal. Happens a lot but the pitch then turned into a joke issue.

last pre season - 2 Skint Pikeys
    this pre season - Andre Bikey
  • Options
    I went into last season hoping we wouldn't get relegated. I want us to aim higher than that, but given my lack of knowledge about the players we've got in thus far, I can't claim to be too certain. But I know one thing, it'll look a lot better to watch, whatever the score!

I take heart from the fact that a man willing to spend money on tarting up a stadium must have the best intentions for the club, and therefore the squad too. So good question, cos now I've written it down, I realise I'm feeling very optimistic indeed.
  • Options
    Bookies mostly have us 3rd or joint-2nd favourites for the drop! I would vehemently disagree, of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bookies are slow to adjust their odds pre-season for lower league clubs outside of the Prem.
  • Options

seriousy_red, you are such a spin doctor. I agree with a lot of what you say, but there are is also a lot of spin.

An example - you state that Solly & Wiggins are better players than 12 months ago, when clearly they are not.

The fact that RD bought the club and we are where we are now, doesn't make Jimenez and Slater's policies, of not spending any money, renewing the better player contracts, right. We could have got fees for Hamer & Dervite if we had.
    Letting the pitch become the worst in English professional football was not a great strategy.

I could go on picking your post apart, but there's too much spin / exaggeration / untruths to bother.

If you stick to telling the truth and stop the exaggeration and mistruths, you might find that people start listening to you.

I totally agree with you CE. I usually do not read Seriously Reds posts. But I did this one and it reminds me of an episode of Jackanory. No offence Intended SR but your argument is like a piece of plastercine, you mould it to the way you think it should be.
  • Options
    I am very pessimistic about the season ahead but I really want to be proven wrong.
  • Options
    This time last year, Chris Powell was telling us we were in for a season of struggle.

He hadn't been able to retain several key players and there was little prospect of bringing good replacements in.

• Options
    Much happier this pre season than last and one of the best things IMHO is that RD is spending money on The Valley!!
  • Options
    Much better than last season because you feel that the gaps can be plugged, and RD has shown a willingness to do so. You can't ask for much more than that with player recruitment. Players have been signed from various different sources and they look decent. We still need more, but the transfer window isn't even halfway to closing yet.

In comparison, last season we felt that there was next to no chance of anyone coming in at all. Important players were released and then not replaced. I remember everyone - me included - getting seriously excited over Church and Sordell because we actually had some strikers. The number 9 and number 10 shirt being vacant until nearly kick-off was terrifying. The fact key players' contracts only had a year to run on them as well was a cause for concern, and with good reason as it turned out.

seriously_red seems to be painting MS & TJ as some glorious clairvoyant characters who offered RD a blemish-free football club but that is hilarious bunk. They ran out of money, weren't willing to put anything else into the club and left Powell trying to keep the ship afloat with no support. For two seasons. We've been incredibly lucky that the Academy has produced so many first team ready kids who could step in towards the end of the season but pretending that we had some unstoppable set of youngsters ready to come through, and that's why Hamer, Dervite et al were allowed to run their contracts down is just a lie. I think calling it spin is too generous.
  • Options
    I suppose I am more optimistic than this time last year. As @Garrymanilow comments - we were scrabbling around for someone to fill the 9 and 10 shirts later than this time last year.

Frankly, I find it hard to judge. I know nothing about most of the signings and the two I have seen (TBH and Bikey) will need to prove that they are "up for it" as the Championship is not place for players going through the motions.

I guess I am not clear who the key players are yet whereas last year it was, arguably, clearer. Of course, as usual injuries/loss of form will hit one or two. It will be a lot easier to judge when we see them playing as a team - and I don't mean at Welling! Then, cautious optimistic can move forward a step.
  • Options
    Ok no spin or embellishments! The previous owners clearly could not or would not fund the club last season but it didn't fall over and they sold it to someone who clearly has the knowledge AND finance to pick up the baton.
    They very clearly did not award new contracts to over 24s as it would cost them cash they wouldn't get back and would also dilute the offering which was a great academy, decent ground and no long term liabilities to older players.
    I rated Hamer (and Kermorgant) and think they've made a football mistake by moving on. But the value of the replacements appearing at the rate of two or three per week means we can enjoy the next leg of the journey without them.
    I've been criticised for spin, mindless optimism and all sorts for what I have posted and envisioned since April. The irony is that M.Duchatelet is going far further than I hoped in terms of player acquisition. We are clearly availing of the Liege scouting network given the origins of these players and I have consistently maintained that this would work to our advantage.

On paper we are going have a team to match our brand new pitch and shiny seats. With most players on two or three year deals I am still banking on 2015-16 to be big for us, but who knows, we might be in a very good place by Christmas?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

I'm positive but I still have no idea how it'll turn out. What if the players from abroad don't settle, or aren't as good as we hope? One thing Powell definitely did very well was sign the right personalities and build a great team spirit. Bikey and Ben Haim could be good for us, but they might turn out to be unfit and not up for battling in the Championship. What if certain young players don't make the step up as expected? What if Peeters struggles tactically, or we don' t the right balance of work rate and quality on the ball? It's looking like we're signing players that will do well at this level but we thought the same when Pardew spent a lot of money following relegation.

Bloody hell Scoham. There's no nedd to start bring common sense into the debate :-) seriously_red take note :-)
  • Options
    Thing is, if we had kept Hamer, Kermorgant, Stephens and Dervite AND added the new guys, what a great position we'd be in now.

Good Championship experienced players, promising youngsters coming through as well as foreign players that are good on paper but may need time to settle. The annoying thing is, this would have been realistic if the previous owners hadn't tried to save as much money as possible.

100% better than last pre season and quite excited to see the new boys but the squad is still thin. Only takes a couple of injuries and some loss of firm and suddenly we look weak again. That said, I'm sure we're not done yet in the transfer market.
  • Options
    How many is it, probably a dozen players have left - and we've brought 6 in so far.

Even allowing for 2 or 3 youngsters stepping up to the 1st team squad, we surely will need to sign 3 or 4 more experienced players.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

How many is it, probably a dozen players have left - and we've brought 6 in so far.

Even allowing for 2 or 3 youngsters stepping up to the 1st team squad, we surely will need to sign 3 or 4 more experienced players.

Not finished bringing in new signings yet OR but as the 2nd half of last season BP will be expected to bring on some from our U21 squad.

I'm in the optimistic camp!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Take your point Oggy but in all fairness some of the players that left - Jordan Cook being a good example - were nowhere near the first XI anyway.
  • Options
    Thats 8 players signed now, with Henderson coming in. Do we have everyone we need now, or are their still gaps in the squad that need sorting?
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Thats 8 players signed now, with Henderson coming in. Do we have everyone we need now, or are their still gaps in the squad that need sorting?

I reckon 2 more.
  • Options
    A proper creative player would be great, and another (senior) striker should be still in the thoughts for BP.