Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Southampton Mass Exodus

So having already lost Lambert to Liveverpool
They have now lost Shaw to United
Lallana is having a medical at Liverpool
Rodriguez expected to link up with former manager Pochettino at Spurs

and we thought we had it hard, probably their best 4 players last season

Comments

• if they spend the money wisely not like spurs last year they could build a much stronger squad with the money.
  • They're a selling club, as are all but the top teams. With the money they get from the sales and the 100mill+ they get for just being in the premier league, I would still say we 'have it hard' compared to them. Their Academy is doing what it is meant to
  • They're a selling club, as are all but the top teams. With the money they get from the sales and the 100mill+ they get for just being in the premier league, I would still say we 'have it hard' compared to them. Their Academy is doing what it is meant to

Not saying they have it harder, all I am saying is they have lost there best 4 players from last season, we lost 2 maybe 3

Depends who you think top 4 was
    Poyet-Gone
    Hamer-Gone
    Cousins-Stayed
    Jackson-Stayed
    Morrison-Stayed
    Dervite-Gone
    Wilson-Stayed
  • Schnedelin might be off too

Not saying they have it harder, all I am saying is they have lost there best 4 players from last season, we lost 2 maybe 3

Poyet-Gone
    Hamer-Gone
    Cousins-Stayed
    Jackson-Stayed
    Morrison-Stayed
    Dervite-Gone
    Wilson-Stayed
    +Kermorgant and Stephens, who have not yet been replaced
  • oh yes, my heart bleeds for them !! went into admin & so skipped paying their debts & now selling players for a total in excess of £50 million.

whereas we fought it out - didn't spend money on players or ground for almost 2 years, which meant almost being relegated, losing players for nothing as we couldn't afford to increase contracts & having a pitch that resembled a ploughed field.

right or wrong.........you choose.

That was due to MS and TJ not willing to put there hand in their pocket
  • oh yes, my heart bleeds for them !! went into admin & so skipped paying their debts & now selling players for a total in excess of £50 million.

whereas we fought it out - didn't spend money on players or ground for almost 2 years, which meant almost being relegated, losing players for nothing as we couldn't afford to increase contracts & having a pitch that resembled a ploughed field.

• Lots of clubs after Dejan Lovren too.

Bit more complicated than that, decline had been going on a while and they actually did put their hand in their pocket to get us out of League 1. By the way not defending them as they did many crap things.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nug said:

oh yes, my heart bleeds for them !! went into admin & so skipped paying their debts & now selling players for a total in excess of £50 million.

Bit more complicated than that, decline had been going on a while and they actually did put their hand in their pocket to get us out of League 1. By the way not defending them as they did many crap things.
    The Carl Jenkinson transfer helped
  • It must be a bit galling to only ever get a couple of years out of their best players though, e.g. Bale, O-C, Walcott all disappeared pretty quickly too.
  • But they obviously will make big money by selling those players. I'm sure their supporters are very sad to see them leave but I reckon their owner(s) won't be as frustrated.
  • Uboat said:

It must be a bit galling to only ever get a couple of years out of their best players though, e.g. Bale, O-C, Walcott all disappeared pretty quickly too.

Better than getting only 20 league games out of them, and f*** all to show for it though...
    Very true, but Poyet is not in the same league as those three.
  • But they obviously will make big money by selling those players. I'm sure their supporters are very sad to see them leave but I reckon their owner(s) won't be as frustrated.

Unlike Roland and Dirty Diego

• They must be very confident of youngsters coming through their academy , or confident they can recruit players of a similar quality on less money, or they could be heading back to the Championship again.

Excellent point of view Golfie.
  • Southbank said:

They're a selling club, as are all but the top teams. With the money they get from the sales and the 100mill+ they get for just being in the premier league, I would still say we 'have it hard' compared to them. Their Academy is doing what it is meant to

Poyet-Gone
    Hamer-Gone
    Cousins-Stayed
    Jackson-Stayed
    Morrison-Stayed
    Dervite-Gone
    Wilson-Stayed
    +Kermorgant and Stephens, who have not yet been replaced
    Stephens has been replaced by buyens coz cousins can play the poyet role easily.
  • We are in different divisions but Southampton (and Swansea) is the model to follow as opposed to QPR and Cardiff. Bringing through and buying young players while building the quality on the pitch gets the club through. If you can sell players on AND stay in the division because of the quality of the scouting and coaching then the club will always be in good health and it will attract a better class of ownership in the future.
    Obviously Southampton have a challenge to stay mid-table when they had been aiming higher. Just as we have the challenge of retaining the best players and acquiring the right ones to climb into the top half.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2014

They must be very confident of youngsters coming through their academy , or confident they can recruit players of a similar quality on less money, or they could be heading back to the Championship again.

Not necessarily - they know that it's impossible to hold onto a player when one of the Sky four/five come calling, as I keep being told "It's the way of the world". They would probably rather hang on to them and have a tilt at knocking the big boys off their perch, but the players will just follow the money, and Sky/Premier league always make sure that at it's most abundant where they want it to be.

Does that make us the football equivalent of House Lannister?
    'An Addick always pays his debts.'

• Well I guess the transfer fees will allow them to pay off the debt they incurred for building their new stadium...

If Southampton are the model we're supposed to be following, surely we should've gone into administration before landing on a wealthy European benefactor
  • So having already lost Lambert to Liveverpool
    They have now lost Shaw to United
    Lallana is having a medical at Liverpool
    Rodriguez expected to link up with former manager Pochettino at Spurs

and we thought we had it hard, probably their best 4 players last season

From what I've been told, I'm fairly confident Dejan Lovren will be following MoPo to Spurs to replace Dawson.

• "MoPo".............