Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luke Shaw

Rumoured to be costing Utd about 33m. We debate about, for example, how much Bob Peeters would have seen O'Grady play but I wonder how many times Van Gaal has seen Shaw play?

Comments

• Options
    Wasnt the Luke Shaw bid put in straight after the day Manchester United played Southampton on the last match of the season so I doubt talks with van Gaal had even begun...
  • Options
    Brilliant, talented player but £30 million is ridiculous.

Clubs looking abroad for talent rather than concentrating on bringing through English talent is really hurting our game, but its impossible not to when for example a 23 year old Jordi Alba costs Barca £14 mill, and then our clubs have to fork out £30 million for an 18 year old left back (albeit a very talented one with a very bright future)
  • Options
    absolutely ridiculous amount for a left back
  • Options
    When you look at how English players compare to players from around Europe and the world at the WC, we can't even use the excuse that they are better. Honestly, I may never have seen Yoni Buyens or Igor Vetokele play, but I am more comfortable getting players from the continent than crappier more expensive versions from over here. Just think we overrate English / British talent big time.
  • Options

When you look at how English players compare to players from around Europe and the world at the WC, we can't even use the excuse that they are better. Honestly, I may never have seen Yoni Buyens or Igor Vetokele play, but I am more comfortable getting players from the continent than crappier more expensive versions from over here. Just think we overrate English / British talent big time.

Not sure it's overrating them in terms of ability as much as the new focus on developing English talent means young English players with actual talent are at something of a premium, you want one you pay over the odds. That said, it is a ridiculous amount for a young player, and a lot of pressure for him to deal with.
  • Options
    Trouble is FFP rules dont help now... Because of Luke Shaw coming through Southampton will demand as much money as they can because that £30m can now go back into Transfers
  • Options
    Crazy amount of money. Can only think of a couple of clubs that were in for him. I doubt his name's been banded around Europe. And if it had I doubt he'd move abroad. It's not what English players do. ( part of the reason , IMO, we do no good at world cups and the like). Southampton would say they don't have to sell but in reality they do. With a bit of patience and decent negotiation I reckon they could have got him for half that.
  • Options
    crazy amount of money, but because english players are getting rarer in the premier league, particularly international england players, their prices are seriously inflated. Another problem that can be solved by a lot more english players being bought through the top premier league teams.
  • Options
    Southampton coming up smelling of roses again !! Go into administration 5 years ago - wipe away all debts & since then have sold Oxlaide-Camberlain, Shaw etc for over £50m
  • Options
    This transfer has got Sir Alex and Bobby Charlton written all over it. They have a big say at that football club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Exactly why I just can't see quotas on foreign players working
  • Options

it would increase the number of english players in the premier league, meaning the value of those english players already in the prem would go down.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Absolutely obscene . When clubs like Hereford are demoted three divisions for debts of 1million , a nineteen year old left back sells for 30x that amount.

The world has gone mad.
  • Options
    Stupid money, Shaw 33 million, Carroll 35(?) million, Henderson 20 million, Shelvey 1.7 million, Jenkinson 2 million....
  • Options

Brilliant, talented player but £30 million is ridiculous.

Clubs looking abroad for talent rather than concentrating on bringing through English talent is really hurting our game, but its impossible not to when for example a 23 year old Jordi Alba costs Barca £14 mill, and then our clubs have to fork out £30 million for an 18 year old left back (albeit a very talented one with a very bright future)

I disagree at he's age 5 year contract 6.8mill a season if they get 10 years out of him and I believe he is that good 3.3mill as season is a bargin
  • Options

it would increase the number of english players in the premier league, meaning the value of those english players already in the prem would go down.
    Long term maybe. Short to Mid term it would just increase the number of english players not currently deemed good enough for the premier league in the premier league, and further overvalue those with proven or assumed premier league ability like Shaw.
  • Options
    Crazy money. Could have had Evina on a free.
  • Options
    £30m sounds right for him in my opinion, class player with bags of potential.
  • Options
    my OP wasn't necessarily about the fee but the fact they are signing a player that I doubt Van Gaal has even seen play in the flesh.
  • Options

my OP wasn't necessarily about the fee but the fact they are signing a player that I doubt Van Gaal has even seen play in the flesh.

I can see this transfer being discussed with Van Gaal before he took the role and won't come out of his agreed transfer budget.

Like i said, i think this is Alex Ferguson's and the owners decision.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is big money but if they believe he can be their left back for the next 10-15 years I can see why they'd pay it.

Imagine getting Ashley Cole back in 2001 say - one position sorted for a long time.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen the shocking news that he begged a 23 year-old Playboy model for a threesome on the night England's WC exit was confirmed? I know some footballers are wild (and the girl might just want some publicity) but doing things like that when you still have one big game ahead is really beyond belief. 33m (and a lot more than our whole club's worth) for such a not-so-mature player is.... well, I don't know what to say. Those top clubs in the Prem can pay whatever they want to. They're just in a completely different world from ours.....
  • Options
    30million...are you SHAW?

*Grabs coat and runs our the back door*
  • Options

Has anyone seen the shocking news that he begged a 23 year-old Playboy model for a threesome on the night England's WC exit was confirmed? I know some footballers are wild (and the girl might just want some publicity) but doing things like that when you still have one big game ahead is really beyond belief. 33m (and a lot more than our whole club's worth) for such a not-so-mature player is.... well, I don't know what to say. Those top clubs in the Prem can pay whatever they want to. They're just in a completely different world from ours.....

didn't the silly cow know he was a PL footballer? Shocking.
  • Options

Where was this reported Jessie?
  • Options
    just seen his full name : Luke Paul Hoare Whore Shaw

corrected it for him ;-)
  • Options

does it really matter what they get up to in their sex lives? Begging is a bit thirsty but at least he wasn't forcing himself on her/raping her.
  • Options

absolutely ridiculous amount for a left back

I agree it is a ridiculous amount for Shaw but why do you think a left back is not worth that much money?
  • Options

Where was this reported Jessie?
    My mom saw it on a Chinese website last Sunday and told me about it. Later I found out on Twitter that it was a translated piece from, cough, The Sun. It didn't look like a made-up story though.