Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

will jacko get captaincy / automatic spot this year?

inspirational skipper, fan favorite, scorer of crucial goals, training ground/dressing room character, lovable rogue...however, will johnny on the spot get game time this year in a more pacy, but continental style charlton side (says hopeful me) injury prone/slowing pace? if not expected to be an automatic choice, will he still be named captain? for gaffer bob to observe and ponder...

Comments

• Options
    Maybe we'll have a club captain who's not necessarily the captain on the pitch.
  • Options

I think. Dare I say hope. This.

Inspirational he may be but too many game passed him by last year. No idea if Yoni is leader material but it needs to be someone in the middle who can rip into players if need be - that certainly isn't Morrison

• Options
    God I hope it's neither poyet or Jacko on too young the other too old and slow
  • Options
    Morrison if he signs? Not my fav player but others I sm sure would like him and it could be a sweetner.
  • Options
    I hope Jackson keeps it, people insist he will be too old or slow the last two season, yet when we need it, he scores that vital goal.

A leader on and off the pitch, deserves to keep the armband.
  • Options
    The club should go back to the old system of Club captain and team captain. The team captain is picked from the team that plays on the day. Jackson should be club captain and team captain when he plays.
  • Options
    We don't want him - he's not from Belgium
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:

The club should go back to the old system of Club captain and team captain. The team captain is picked from the team that plays on the day. Jackson should be club captain and team captain when he plays.

perfect compromise, then jacko will strive even more when he's picked...

• Options
    Jacko is head and shoulders best captain we could have, particularly in the English game where it matters more. I like Morro but he's not captain material. While some games pass Jacko by, other games in the last 2 seasons we have missed his leadership. If we hang onto the youngsters I'm fairly certain there's potential future captains there (Cousins maybe). Have to see if the new signings have that in their locker as well, but Jacko 100% for me at the moment. And for all the games passing him by last season, he still popped up with vital goals.
  • Options

The job of a Captain isnt just a black and white armband thats worn on the matchday... Its a figure head for the players, someone they can go to when they either dont want to trouble the Manager or when the Manager wont listen to them.

When Chris Powell was sacked and Jose Riga came in the same day it was Jackson who gathered the players round and told them that they needed to put their feelings to one side, that relegation wasnt an option, that it would forever be a stain on their careers and that they needed to ensure it didnt happen.

Besides all that the Captain needs to know what the Football Club means to the fans.. who can tell the new players what it means etc...

If someone can name a player who can do that better (and come up with important moments like the QPR goal) then yes that person should be Captain but there wont be

I know Jackson doesnt need to be a Captain to do that but it'll be easier giving him the armband else it'll be like Prince Charles coming in to run the country whilst Elizabeth is still Queen... just wouldnt be right

As a Captain (as opposed to being a player) he's right up there with the very best we've had in recent years, a great ambassador for the club, and leader on the pitch
    I've been going to Charlton since 1994 and in terms of Captains that I've seen at the club in terms of their leadership I'd have to put him at Number One...

Mark Kinsella was great and led us to Division One and Play-Off glory and I'll give him the award of best captain in terms of skill but Jacko is better with Man Management
  • Options
    Agree with a lot of the posts he may be off the pace in some games but he is a great example to the youngsters, a leader and most importantly he is Charlton through and through. Great bloke, great captain
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Jacko is a footballing Mike Brearley.

Perhaps no longer consistently quite as good as he once was on the field of play (although he inevitably steps up when needed) but as a talisman and inspiration for the squad he still has a vital role to play.

Brearley was barely worth his place as a batsman but was integral to England's successes during his time as captain.
  • Options
    Great captain.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Inspirational he may be but too many game passed him by last year. No idea if Yoni is leader material but it needs to be someone in the middle who can rip into players if need be - that certainly isn't Morrison

I agree. He's the one player I genuinely felt we had to do a hell of a lot of tinkering to accommodate. Cousins or Pritchard on the right etc. obviously his record speaks for itself, but I've gone on record as saying he's a player that I've personally thought is slightly overrated. This often gets a lot of contentious responses but I still stick by it. His legs were shaky too many times last season. He's another year older now. For me club captain, but I don't want him in the team as a regular starter.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Swisdom said:

I agree. He's the one player I genuinely felt we had to do a hell of a lot of tinkering to accommodate. Cousins or Pritchard on the right etc. obviously his record speaks for itself, but I've gone on record as saying he's a player that I've personally thought is slightly overrated. This often gets a lot of contentious responses but I still stick by it. His legs were shaky too many times last season. He's another year older now. For me club captain, but I don't want him in the team as a regular starter.
    I agree, and unless we play 5 across the middle he will have to leave out Cousins or Poyet. Assuming he will play Hariott on the left (as we know JJ cannot play wide), Yoni Buyens will take a central spot, and Wilson? wide right, if JJ plays the others miss out. As he wants to play youth, this flies against everything he is working for.
  • Options
    Hate myself for saying this because I soo much want to see the Jacko of the league one title year back again consistently performing.. but i agree his performances are no longer at that standard! But as a captain he is above all others and should remain club captain.. Morrison can do match day duties.. And I want to see Jackson on the sidelines encouraging the boys and all that even when he is not in the squad/starting..
  • Options

The job of a Captain isnt just a black and white armband thats worn on the matchday... Its a figure head for the players, someone they can go to when they either dont want to trouble the Manager or when the Manager wont listen to them.

When Chris Powell was sacked and Jose Riga came in the same day it was Jackson who gathered the players round and told them that they needed to put their feelings to one side, that relegation wasnt an option, that it would forever be a stain on their careers and that they needed to ensure it didnt happen.

Besides all that the Captain needs to know what the Football Club means to the fans.. who can tell the new players what it means etc...

If someone can name a player who can do that better (and come up with important moments like the QPR goal) then yes that person should be Captain but there wont be

I know Jackson doesnt need to be a Captain to do that but it'll be easier giving him the armband else it'll be like Prince Charles coming in to run the country whilst Elizabeth is still Queen... just wouldnt be right

As a Captain (as opposed to being a player) he's right up there with the very best we've had in recent years, a great ambassador for the club, and leader on the pitch
    I've been going to Charlton since 1994 and in terms of Captains that I've seen at the club in terms of their leadership I'd have to put him at Number One...

Mark Kinsella was great and led us to Division One and Play-Off glory and I'll give him the award of best captain in terms of skill but Jacko is better with Man Management
    Agreed, Kinsella was great 'lead by example type' (and obviously a great player) but was quite quiet, you can't imagine him rousing the troops in the same way
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just a thought, seeing our dearth of players in the centre back positions and JJ's original role as left back, is there any mileage in converting him to this position? I say this as he's a real motivator on the pitch as well as off it but there's no denying that his legs are now going...
  • Options
    I've mentally written off Jacko before and won't be making the same mistake again. Agree he's not getting any younger or quicker but there will be times over the season where having JJ on the pitch will be of enormous benefit.

If Poyet signs we will have him, Cousins, Buyens all IMHO starters above JJ in central midfield. Even then I think Johnnie will have an important role and influence.
  • Options
    Much as I love the man, if Poyet signs a new deal I think Jackson will be on the bench. Maybe not to begin with but eventually this Buyens chap will get a start.
  • Options

I've mentally written off Jacko before and won't be making the same mistake again. Agree he's not getting any younger or quicker but there will be times over the season where having JJ on the pitch will be of enormous benefit.

If Poyet signs we will have him, Cousins, Buyens all IMHO starters above JJ in central midfield. Even then I think Johnnie will have an important role and influence.

This.

After Ipswich away on NYD I come away and thought that's it for JJ he needs to be coming off the bench now and not starting but I think in the months after he showed he still has a lot more than a super sub to offer.

I have said before you never notice how good Jacko is until he is not in the team.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

I have said before you never notice how good Jacko is until he is not in the team.
    THIS ALL DAY LONG

I think as Football fans we expect all players to be visibly making an impact for the entire match i.e. Goalkeepers stopping goals.. Defenders making tackles and winning headers.. Midfielders to be setting up Goals and Scoring.. Strikers to be Scoring yet some of the best players can play where you dont notice them for 90-mins and you think they've had a rubbish match.

They get injured prior to the next game and dont feature and only then do you notice what sort of impact they have on a game... Johnnie Jackson falls clearly into that category
  • Options
    Jacko can be Charlton's Pirlo :-)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    As mentioned earlier some clubs have a position of Club Captain as well as Team Captain. JJ could fulfil this role with Moro (our number one shoe in CB as we stand) given the armband on match days. Therefore he might not be guaranteed a staring birth if Bob doesn't want his hands tied on team selection. Personally I would stick with JJ as team captain and tell him that if and when his game time has to be managed! Moro will be his deputy.
  • Options
    I have also written Jacko off in the past, which I hold my hand up to.

Sure, he isn't quite the box to box midfielder that he was, but still hits a decent corner.

Against Watford, I was absolutely astounded at the number of headers he won, whilst protecting the back four.

Awesome player, the best we've had since Darren Bent.

No-one should ever right him off...
  • Options
    Jacko's great. Will still play a major part.

Sitting deep protecting back four is his best role.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Am I right in remembering that Kinsella was the team captain and Graham Stuart was the club captain?