Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your Top Five......... TV shows you enjoyed as a kid.

Comments

• flowerpot men
    woodentops
    champion the wonderhorse
    cannonball
    casey jones

And I thought I was getting on a bit.
    Me too,, I just remembered "Popeye", used to run home for that.
  • Maverick

Bronco Lane

Cheyanne

Whyatt Earp

The Lone Ranger
  • Oggy Red said:

Talking about Fireball XL5, there was another space show about the same time with the spaceship Galasphere 347 shaped like a gyroscope, piloted by Captain Dart and some blonde woman from Venus.

All a bit hazy now, but maybe someone on here remembers it?

That's Space Patrol. I've already voted for it.
  • limeygent said:

flowerpot men
    woodentops
    champion the wonderhorse
    cannonball
    casey jones

And I thought I was getting on a bit.
    Me too,, I just remembered "Popeye", used to run home for that.
    They used to show a few wartime Popeye episodes in the early '60s where he'd sink the Jap ships. Very racist representation of the Japs, as I remember.
  • Thunderbirds

Space Patrol

Top Cat

Hogan's Heroes

Fireball XL5

Scratch Thunderbirds, replace it with Tom and Jerry.
  • Grange Hill
    Jossy's Giants
    Byker Grove
    Fraggle rock
    A-Team
  • Oggy Red said:

JWADDICK said:

No particular order,

Torchy
    Twizzle
    Doctor Who
    Fireball XL5
    Supercar
    Thunderbirds

cor almost me to a tee

replace doctor who, with tales of the riverbank
    and fireball xl5 with huckleberry hound.

i don't know anyone who remembers supercar with mitch the monkey.

Blimey, Supercar ...... Dr Beaker and Mike Mercury, Mitch and the arch criminal, Masterspy.
    There was also a kid on the team but can't remember his name.

Then came Fireball XL5 piloted by Steve Zodiac, I think.

Supercar - Was the kid's name Jimmy? Not entirely sure but one thing is certain that kid was the ugliest puppet ever created. Think gargoyle, chucky, and throw in a bit of Wayne Rooney and you are not even halfway there :-(
    Bloody loved Supercar, I must have been about 4/5 when it was on but it was the future as far as I was concerned. Bit of a let down when my mum bought an Austin A40 :-(
  • Tom and Jerry
    Bugs Bunny
    Super Ted
    Button Moon
    Rainbow
  • Rainbow tells you to get your twanger out !

http://youtu.be/Y2pBF0nwh4E
  • Dr Who
    Captain Scarlet
    Tin Tin
    The Monkeys
    Batman
  • Sponsored links:

• ...and how could i have forgotten:
    andy pandy
    rag tag and bobtail
    johnny quest
    lost in space
    sergeant bilko

(i'm lovn this subject, thanks for the memory joggers...)
  • Yes, I'm looking at some like Bilko and thinking yes that was good! We have so many channels today - surely a nostalgia channel with the programmes listed would be popular!
  • a channel JUST featuring the winning suggestions listed here would be an absolute corker! c'mon roland, put your money behind something more fun, huh?
  • Soap - (this was brilliant at the time but I suspect it won't have aged well - my mum used to let us stay up to watch this on Friday nights)
    It's a Knockout (particularly the international ones)
    Hong Kong Phooey
    The Monkees
    Columbo
    (still brilliant today)
  • Yes Hannah Barbera cartoons during the day and some manga ones too like Mazinga z and Battle of the Planets. Would be cheap and very popular - but they would need to let us choose - they would give it to some execs who would get it all wrong otherwise. They could call it the CL nostalgia channel!
  • Soap - (this was brilliant at the time but I suspect it won't have aged well - my mum used to let us stay up to watch this on Friday nights)

That's so weird. I was just talking about this with my wife yesterday and said the exact same thing. It hasn't aged well at all - i watched an episode of it online last year and it was awful - but it was very funny back in the day.

Agree with you on Colombo. Cracking television, and just as enjoyable now as it ever was, even though I must have seen all of them 20 times
  • Noss said:

paulc said:

bbc2 test programs

Strangely addictive, even as a youngster http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_test_colour_films
    Thanks for that brings back memories
  • Ok - what was the best theme tune?
  • twizzle
    sqiddley diddley
    yogi bear
    beverley hillbillies
    animal magic
  • Sponsored links:

That's so weird. I was just talking about this with my wife yesterday and said the exact same thing. It hasn't aged well at all - i watched an episode of it online last year and it was awful - but it was very funny back in the day.

Agree with you on Colombo. Cracking television, and just as enjoyable now as it ever was, even though I must have seen all of them 20 times
    Columbo always knew who did it after 5 minutes then irritated the hell out of the murderer being ultra nice - my wife is a fan of yours - excuse me for popping round again...... until he finally caught them out. The same formula every time but still enjoyable!

Columbo always knew who did it after 5 minutes then irritated the hell out of the murderer being ultra nice - my wife is a fan of yours - excuse me for popping round again...... until he finally caught them out. The same formula every time but still enjoyable!
    That's interesting, because I think that's the general public opinion, but it's still open for debate - does he really know all along? Sometimes I think the suggestion is that he just has a gut feeling and doesn't suss it out until later.
    That's the sign of a great show though - 40 years on and people still discussing it.
    Just a brilliant show. Possibly my favourite show ever.

The thing about Soap was that our entire family thought it was hilarious. My mum and dad presumably got all the subtle jokes and Soap Opera satire, while us kids loved Burt, Benson and Chuck & Bob and the way everyone was a fucking nutcase. Great stuff.
    Not surprised that it's awful now - it was ahead of its time and probably inspired other shows that ended up outshining it.
  • edited June 2014
    Soap opening titles

http://youtu.be/0BHQT3Omqtw

That's interesting, because I think that's the general public opinion, but it's still open for debate - does he really know all along? Sometimes I think the suggestion is that he just has a gut feeling and doesn't suss it out until later.
    That's the sign of a great show though - 40 years on and people still discussing it.
    But seeing as his gut feeling is always 100% right - he'd be a bit of a fool if he didn't know! What I think he has to do is break the alibi and find the flaw in the murderers plan.

Something else that hasn't aged well is the Dave Allen show. We watched a DVD recently and it was so slow and unfunny.

But seeing as his gut feeling is always 100% right - he'd be a bit of a fool if he didn't know! What I think he has to do is break the alibi and find the flaw in the murderers plan.
    Haha! Yeah, I think that is usually the case - but I think there are definitely episodes that are a little different, even if only subtly - for example, there's at least one where he tells the murderer that he knows he did it, but the problem he has is finding proof and the murderer is cocky about it until Columbo stitches him up.
    There are also episodes where I don't think he necessarily suspects the murderer at the beginning, he just knows something isn't right.
    A good example is the deaf chess player one (if you don't know it, watch it!) - I don't think Columbo has him down as a suspect until he finds out a piece of vital information about the murder weapon (which in this case is, I think, a shredding machine!) You pretty much see the light go on in his head in that episode.

You may still disagree, and fair enough, but whoever's right or wrong, when it comes down to it, the lieutenant is just awesome. :-)

• Excellent nostalgic thread!

My top (difficult to choose five) are:

Grange Hill,
    Willow the Wisp,
    Rainbow,
    Take Hart and
    The Incredible Hulk.

close runners were, Pipkins, Top of the Pops and Why don't you? I also loved Laurel and Hardy that they used to show.

Anyone remember The Tripods? Science Fiction.
  • He-Man
    The A-Team
    Jossy's Giants
    Grange Hill
    Alf
  • juke box jury
    ready steady go
    thank your lucky stars
    (early) top of the pops
    (early) old grey whistle test