Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

vpn

Anyone use a vpn and what ones are recommended for a mac.

Comments

• Yep. Up to now, people here have said that only paid ones do the the job. However I can thoroughly recommend this free one, Zenmate. It only works with Google Chrome, but otherwise is dead easy to install and use. Hardly any buffering recently when watching BBC/ITV. Very grateful for it.
  • I've been using https://overplay.net for a few years now and it works well on mac, windows, iPad, phone etc.
    Had no problems using BBC iplayer or ITV player for world cup matches so far.
  • Hide My Ass is a good one
  • Noticed a few people using ifollow via VPN.

Can anyone update me on VPN installation and recommended providers?

What steps then needed to access ifollow?
  • I use IPVanish, costs $10 a month (not sure what that is in £?) but it's easy and does the job
  • stonemuse said:

Noticed a few people using ifollow via VPN.

Use Hola!. Free as a google chrome extension and worked for iFollow fine this afternoon. Just add it as an extension and then click it in the top right corner and select a country.
  • stonemuse said:

I use Zenmate, very solid and easy to use, costs around €40 per year, good Berlin based support.

But I usually have to use the Opera browser to get iFollow to work, and Opera has its own VPN, free. If you use a Mac, you may find you need Opera. No chance with Safari, and for me at least not Chrome either.

• stonemuse said:

I use Zenmate, very solid and easy to use, costs around €40 per year, good Berlin based support.

But I usually have to use the Opera browser to get iFollow to work, and Opera has its own VPN, free. If you use a Mac, you may find you need Opera. No chance with Safari, and for me at least not Chrome either.

I do use a Mac.
  • stonemuse said:

Use Hola!. Free as a google chrome extension and worked for iFollow fine this afternoon. Just add it as an extension and then click it in the top right corner and select a country.
    Sorry to be stupid, but any country?
  • Sponsored links:

• What is VPN?
  • Seriously considering using a VPN. As I understand it, using a VPN can suggest you're conntecting to the Internet from different locations in the world, and also hides your internet history from your ISP (Sky/BT for example). But then surely the VPN provider (eg Zenmate) then does have a record of your internet usage?

Can someone help with my paranoia and explain what makes using a VPN so secure, and why I should trust it?
  • What is VPN?

Visible Panty Nugget
  • Misread the title of this thread & was straining at the bit to post my solution ....

Go commando !

• IPVanish for me. Faultless and good VFM. On my Virgin 200mb line, speed only drops by 5-10mb at most when using it.
  • edited October 2017
    IPVanish do deals. I managed to get it for about £30 for a year paid upfront.