Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour de France 2014

So, no great surprise in the news that Sir Bradley is the official 'reserve' for Chris Froome in this years Tour. http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jun/06/bradley-wiggins-not-ride-tour-de-france-chris-froome-sky

Good to see Nibali adding some form of competition to Chris Froome which kind of makes up for the loss of Quintana who has just won the Giro.

Looking at the odds, I'm surprised they still see Contador as Froomes only serious rival after failing to make the podium last year. You can't really see past Froome again, can you?

As each way bets go you get 66-1 on Rui Costa and Richie Porte at 40's appear the best VFM for me.

Any dark horses out there (apart from Black Beauty).

Comments

• Options
    I think Froome thinks Bradley's too much of a threat to him, that's why Uran left the team.

For dark horses I'd say Kwiatkowski's a good bet, 66-1 for Costa is outstanding odds.
  • Options
    Can't wait for le Tour to hit Essex :-)
  • Options
    I backed Porte for a few quid e/w at 50s....if he nicks third I'll be happy.
  • Options
    Great odds on Costa
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Great odds on Costa

Skybet are also offering 8/11 on him winning a stage which I'm seriously tempted to lump on big time.

• Options
    Stone said:

stonemuse said:

Great odds on Costa

Skybet are also offering 8/11 on him winning a stage which I'm seriously tempted to lump on big time.

That is tempting!
  • Options
    Contador has a chance. Tinkoff-Saxo are arguably as strong as Sky, and the route this year suits him better than last year's. Agree, 8/11 is very generous for a stage win for Rui Costa. My outside bet would be Valverde. They sacrificed Quintana for the Giro, so Movistar will have been planning for Valverde for a long time. This will be his last hurrah as a team lead, and he has a lot to prove. He was sitting reasonably pretty last year before the puncture on stage 13, so can put that down to bad luck, and Movistar are only a little behind Sky and Tinkoff-Saxo. I'd take Kittel over Cavendish on a lot of the sprints - though the first stage ending in Harrogate is absolutely made for Cavendish.
  • Options
    Would love to Voeckler win it as he's an aggressive rider and goes on the attack on all types of stages.
  • Options
    Really sad Quintana isn't in the race this year, love to see him climb the mountains!
  • Options
    Froome making his mark in the Dauphiné I see, winning the first two stages, although Contador stuck with him all the way.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jun/09/chris-froome-win-dauphine-libere

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yesterday was an epic stage, Froome destroyed the field but Contador just about hung in there, can't wait for the weekend when they are back in the mountains.
  • Options
    Reckon Contador would have cracked with another KM on that climb
  • Options
    Froome reminds me of African long distance runners, the ability to go fast then slow then fast again, riders hate that even on steep climbs they like a steady pace.
  • Options
    The way Nibail was shelled out of the back of the group yesterday was the most impressive thing. Reckon Froome has Contador on a string, and will give him hell in the Tour, that is if they both survive the first week and the cobbles.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

... if they both survive the first week and the cobbles.

I think they are only on Yarkshire for one day ;-)
  • Options
    Contador leads the Dauphiné... I didn't see it but I'm aware Froome crashed yesterday which may have played some part in todays result. I guess only he really knows.

Could interesting.
  • Options
    Team Sky announced there TdF squad today.

Not one English born rider and only 1 GB rider in Geraint Thomas.

• Options
    Amazing crowds today. Really looking forward to it.
    Been playing TDF on my PS4 the last few days
  • Options
    yes, crowds are enormous, very impressive
  • Options
    For a place like Otley, the grounds are immense. Sad not to see riders like Swift and the British champion Kennaugh,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valverde has no chance, too old and they'll be a split on the flat, let alone hills and he won't be there: unless he's visited FuentesII.

Be interesting how Saxo Bank go without Kreuziger. Pleased Eisel's riding on Sky, they're serious lack of leadership last year almost lost Froome's challenge. He'll also be able to pull between mountains and leave a bit more in the tank for support climbers.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Jeez what a smash for Cav. :-(

Hope it's not too serious.
  • Options
    Stone said:

Jeez what a smash for Cav. :-(

Suggestion on 5live he might have done some damage to his collarbone?

• Options
    Looks like he caused it though.
  • Options
    Doesn't look good for Cav, definitely looks like a broken collarbone.
    Assumption looking at the pictures is he's out. Hopefully not. Just have to wait and see.
  • Options
    The way he was holding his shoulder, I reckon he's out. And in his mum's hometown as well.
  • Options
    Just the same as last time he tried to win sprint in TdF in UK...poor Cav.
  • Options
    Separated shoulder, not broken, might start tomorrow
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Separated shoulder, not broken, might start tomorrow

Sadly he is out...
  • Options
    Anyone watching it in the essex countryside tomorrow. Fancy having a watch but not really sure where to go? I'm guessing the city will be manic.