Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Town Centres - Ones to Avoid!

Comments

• Options
    ads said:

Scarborough
    Gillingham
    Dartford

Dartford might be I dump but I'm proud to come from Dartford

• Options
    Chatham is bad but nothing compared to Gillingham or Strood

Peckham, Deptford are a class apart

Croydon is my ultimate hell, poxy place horrible to get to.

Honourable mentions to Grimsby, Luton, Corby, Middlesbrough, Skelmersdale and Rochdale
  • Options
    Glouster.

• Options

Glouster.

I see you've demolished 20% of it's name - much as should happen to its squalid buildings. Some fine properties were lost in the '60s rebuild.
  • Options
    Mansfield
    Rochdale
    Oldham
    Scunthorpe
    Blackpool
    Montrose wins an award for being so dull, narrowly beating Derby and Perth
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I have recently started a new job that involves a fair bit of travelling around the country. I have visited town centres that, in the past, I would have only ever 'by-passed'.

Here I am tonight in my hotel room in Crawley after just popping into town to get some cash. Only ever been in the area before when flying out of Gatwick. I have to say, it is the most soulless, ugly, unappealling hole of a place, really dire! It's up there with the Brentwood's and Great Yarmouth's of the country as places to avoid unless you really have to visit.

So, it begs the question, where have you been (town centre only) that you would never go back to unless you had no choice?

PS: Apologies to any Crawley folk who have since moved on. All I can say is no wonder you did!!

Do you really mean Brentwood? I'm not a TOWIE fan but always think Brentwood looks well kept and up to date in say comparison to some other high streets. Wouldn't call it a hole anyway.

Agreed Curb It, if he thinks Brentwood is one of the worst places in the country, he really needs to get out more!
  • Options
    Just about every town centre across the country
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Ilford, Thamesmead, Peckham, Croydon, Gravesend.

100% Especially at night, I try not to leave mine after 7PM lol
  • Options
    edited June 2014

I have recently started a new job that involves a fair bit of travelling around the country. I have visited town centres that, in the past, I would have only ever 'by-passed'.

Here I am tonight in my hotel room in Crawley after just popping into town to get some cash. Only ever been in the area before when flying out of Gatwick. I have to say, it is the most soulless, ugly, unappealling hole of a place, really dire! It's up there with the Brentwood's and Great Yarmouth's of the country as places to avoid unless you really have to visit.

So, it begs the question, where have you been (town centre only) that you would never go back to unless you had no choice?

PS: Apologies to any Crawley folk who have since moved on. All I can say is no wonder you did!!

Brentwood??? You're comparing Brentwod with the likes of Crawley and Great Yarmouth......Righto.......I can only think you've either never been to Brentwood or you're confusing yourself with somehwer else? Basildon maybe?
  • Options
    Swansea is a bit rough. Like a downmarket Newcastle at the weekends. guess it's fun though, in a weird sort of way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting read. What on earth did we do wrong in this country in order to make pretty much all our town centres so appalling. Compare that to France where town centres have largely remained historic and vibrant.

Green and pleasant land indeed.
  • Options
    Not quite a town centre but I had to go to the elephant and castle the other day for the first time in years. It was always a bit rough and ready but it's now a cess pit.
  • Options

So, what does all this say about our "green & pleasant land" ?

What it says is: If you have an upturn of fortune and can escape from your own 'town centre' to a village in central Kent. England remains (in places) the most beautiful country in the world.
    I count my blessings, daily.

• Options
    Hayes, Middlesex.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Daggs said:

So, what does all this say about our "green & pleasant land" ?

What it says is: If you have an upturn of fortune and can escape from your own 'town centre' to a village in central Kent. England remains (in places) the most beautiful country in the world.
    I count my blessings, daily.

Trying VERY hard to get Mr F interested in relocating to Wadhurst area but to no avail .....

• Options
    Gravesend is the king of filthy town centre.

In my opinion though, as long as its got a WH smith, a 99p store and a greggs, I wont be complaining too much.
    If its got a "game" thats a bonus.
  • Options
    Harlow around the bus station.

I saw a bearded lady there once.
  • Options

Darren Ambrose is from Harlow - It was probably him.

• Options
    All the town centres and high streets are almost identical, and nearly all dreary.
    When we played East Fife, Methil was something so horrible I thought it was a post apocalyptic film set.
  • Options
    @chester_conrad and @essex_Al Id say he definitely meant Basildon!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sheerness
  • Options
    St John's Wood - boring
    Cambourne - advised to stay in the hotel.
  • Options
    Stockport.

Full of mutants and swamp dwellers.
  • Options

Interesting read. What on earth did we do wrong in this country in order to make pretty much all our town centres so appalling. Compare that to France where town centres have largely remained historic and vibrant.

Green and pleasant land indeed.

'We' didn't do anything. Supermarkets did.
  • Options
    anywhere In Kent I'd of thought.
  • Options

Russell Brand?
  • Options
    Stevenage. Felt like a waiting room for Jeremy Kyle.
  • Options
    Stone said:

Russell Brand?
    Ain't he the one who won Eurovision?
  • Options
    Slough, Reading, Langley, Datchet, Basildon, Harlow, Luton, Peterbrough, Blackburn, Burnley, Wigan, Bolton, Stockport, Bury, Rochdale, Aldershot, Basingstoke, Croydon, Newbury, Swindon, Enfield, Harlow, and a hell of a lot more that I can`t be bothered to mention!
  • Options
    Witham known locally as shitham