Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Surrey ccc

Comments

• A few observations now the season has settled in a bit.

Looking at it now after a few games and the early season optimism has worn off a little. We have a good side bit not quite the depth or balance needed to win the title. I still expect to challenge for at least 1 trophy though. We are over reliant on a few individuals.

In the championship we need the top 4 to score the majority of our runs. We have a Roy sized hole in our line up at 5. Whilst I think Sibley is a tremendous player he is an opener and not a 5. He got a 50 in this match so would be harsh to drop him but if be tempted to move Foakes up to 5 and give Pope a go. Similarly with the bowlers we rely on footit to have a magic spell and the rest to chip in. I'm hoping Meaker gets a run in the side now as he is a wicket taker even if he can be expensive. The Currans are good players but are not the finished article yet. I don't feel that Surrey constantly bigging them up does rhem any favours. Let them develop at their own pace. That also involves not over bowling them and resting them for some games. I also don't think either are quite there with the bat to be at 7 and 8. They will get there but not juat yet. We still have a chance at the title but we need everyone to be in great form and to avoid injuries for the rest of the season.

As for the one day stuff I thought in general we played well, except for the Sussex game when we were missing half our team and got battered. We were unlucky to lose 2 including the Van Der Merwe special. And on balance of how we played throughout we deserved to qualify. If we don't have Roy and Dernbach both back and in form we will struggle to progress much further though. Those 2 are so key to how we play. We desperately miss Ansari in the short stuff although Borthwick bowled well in one match.
  • Surrey win toss and bat first at sunny Chelmsford

http://www.essexcricket.org.uk/2017/05/25/porter-not-fazed-by-sangakarra-challenge/

Hopefully Sanga loses some form !!!
  • Surrey 9-2

Quinn with both wickets
  • 17-4

Quinn with 3 and Porter with 1
  • Very quiet from the Surrey supporters on here isn't it? Usually we get a ball by ball commentary from them!
  • Very quiet from the Surrey supporters on here isn't it? Usually we get a ball by ball commentary from them!

@cantersaddick is probably still recovering from his post exam celebrations!
  • 31/5
  • Dodgy Galatasaray wicket !
  • Bloody hell.
  • Dodgy Galatasaray wicket !

Sanaga doesn't seem to be having many problems - 22 not out off 26.

Still, as Canters is always telling us, you've got all these promising youngsters to dig you out of this hole. Talking about that I notice Amar Virdi is making his debut.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2017
    Yes, England U-19 player - Off spinner, he'll be feeling nervous with his pads on now.
    backs to the wall job, or ball dobbing all over the place.
  • Looks like the Surrey fight back is on.
  • Sangakkara has 50.

91-5

What the hell are we going to do without him?!
  • Sangakkara has 50.

91-5

What the hell are we going to do without him?!

Truly world class that's for sure.
  • And he got to his 50 by virtue of a drop by Alistair Cook at first slip!

100-5
  • Sam Curran brings up his 50 as well.

158-5, the partnership is now 127.
  • good lads

We might start piping up soon: )
  • 100 for Sangakkara! His fifth in a row in the County Championship.

197-5
  • the word legend is bandied about too easily but he is befitting of the title.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tea - 210-5, Sangakkara 108* and Sam Curran 82*
  • Brilliant fight back
    Sangakkara simply world class
  • S Curran st Foster b Harmer 90

226-6
  • I'm here lads.

As @LenGlover suggested I've rather been a bit out of things for a few days celebrating completing my degree!

I wondered when Virdi would be given a go. He's been getting what seems like a fivefer every match for the 2s for 2 years. I wonder whether Battys injury is being used as an excuse or maybe I am being cynical. We will miss Footit.

Good innings from Sam shame he couldn't get his maiden first class ton. But about time he turned up with the bat this year.

Sanga is class. The greatest overseas player the county has ever had? One of the all time greats still in his prime playing for us in all formats. And a class man to top it off! It's been an honour to watch him for the last 2 and a bit seasons.
  • What I'm hearing from my man on the ground is that the ball did a lot for the first hour of the day. However it's done very little after that. Apparently it's pretty common at Essex so you have to wonder what the coaches are doing and why the players weren't told to just bat out the first hour then go on... odd that a number of players were out going for it...
  • edited May 2017
    The first player to score 5 consecutive tons for Surrey
  • Surrey 284 for 7.
    When we were 31 for 5 I never thought we would get to this
  • 300 up! Top innings from Sanga!
  • 300 up! Top innings from Sanga!

Congratulations on completing your Degree cants: )
  • Meaker doing alright as well - he's on 39. Sangakkara on 174.

327-7