Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Options
    Good that Borthwick got his first wicket for Surrey! And apparently it was a googly so that's good to see!
  • Options
    Bell c Foakes b Batty 99

228-5, lead is 123
  • Options
    Come on Surrey - it's painful for me having to cheer you lot on but will be even more painful if you end up costing me my big price double, with Kent, on the respective County Championships!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Seems Footit is injured. I heard yesterday he'd gone off the field for a period to get some treatment. He had come back on in the last session and the assumption was it was to enable him to bowl today.

Seems to have not worked out like that.

Means we're a bowler short and it's a big blow if he's out for a while.

However we have a break from championship games for a while and he wouldn't get near my one day side so may not be a huge issue.
  • Options
    As I say that Footit bowls an over.

What do I know?

Seems that Footit had to be on the pitch for a period of time before he could bowl due to time spent off the field.
  • Options
    Ambrose moves to 50

279-5, lead is 174
  • Options
    Lunch - 280-5
  • Options
    They've taken an early lunch due to bad light/light rain. Hopefully it will brighten up soon. Any overs lost will affect our chances of forcing a win.

It's already looking like a draw...
  • Options
    Restart delayed - hoping to be back out at 14:05
  • Options
    Back out again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Clarke c Borthwick b T Curran 27

302-6, lead of 197
  • Options
    Ambrose c Sangakkara b T Curran 85

303-7
  • Options
    Patel lbw b T Curran 20

353-8, lead of 248
  • Options
    Tea - 370-8, lead of 265
  • Options
    Barker reaches his fifty before the teams shake hands on a draw.
  • Options

Barker reaches his fifty before the teams shake hands on a draw.

Not surprising....good effort though.

• Options
    Roy and Meaker will both feature soon, I'm quietly optimistic this season
  • Options
    Thanks Epsom
  • Options
    https://www.kiaoval.com/main-news/zafar-ansari-announces-retirement/

Zaf retires from all cricket with immediate effect. To pursue other ambitions.

Ehh?!
  • Options

https://www.kiaoval.com/main-news/zafar-ansari-announces-retirement/

Zaf retires from all cricket with immediate effect. To pursue other ambitions.

Ehh?!

Wow. Just started playing for England too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Wow, I saw some comments that he felt he had been called up by England too soon, but to retire, and in late April as well???
  • Options
    Crazy timing and never saw that coming. Wonder how much the club knew about this. Good luck Zaf
  • Options
    Did not know about some of his academic achievements.

From reading those he is a more gifted academic than a cricketer and it may well be the correct decision for him.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Very strange timing, but to be honest, always saw him as a solid club player rather than an international.
  • Options
    People have been suggesting this was a possibility on the members forum for a few months.

With his last few years been blighted with injury after injured I suspect the enjoyment of it wore off. Couple that with the endless opportunities he will have elsewhere and you can see why he did it.

Shame. Real shame. A few years ago when he for his first text call up he'd been n the form of his life with bat and ball. Then half an hour later he gets a freak injury and he hasn't been the same since.

Gutted for the guy and for Surrey.

A bit of me is a little angry and thinks it's a waste. For so many of us playing sport is the dream. Most of us aren't talented enough to get there. To give it up when your career is still on an upwards trajectory seems licking such a waste. If he was over his injuries form would return in time and I'm sure he'd play for England again.

I was really looking forward to having Borthwick and Ansari ands our 2 spinners both batting in the top 6 for the next 10 years. Gutted is an understatement.

Saw him make his debut in a T20. He batted better in that game than he bowled but it was clear he was going to be class.
  • Options
    I see Surrey voted for the city based T20 competition.
  • Options
    CHG said:

I see Surrey voted for the city based T20 competition.

Where have you seen that? It's certainly against the message members were told by Alex Stewart and Richard Gould last week?
  • Options

People have been suggesting this was a possibility on the members forum for a few months.

With his last few years been blighted with injury after injured I suspect the enjoyment of it wore off. Couple that with the endless opportunities he will have elsewhere and you can see why he did it.

Shame. Real shame. A few years ago when he for his first text call up he'd been n the form of his life with bat and ball. Then half an hour later he gets a freak injury and he hasn't been the same since.

Gutted for the guy and for Surrey.

A bit of me is a little angry and thinks it's a waste. For so many of us playing sport is the dream. Most of us aren't talented enough to get there. To give it up when your career is still on an upwards trajectory seems licking such a waste. If he was over his injuries form would return in time and I'm sure he'd play for England again.

I was really looking forward to having Borthwick and Ansari ands our 2 spinners both batting in the top 6 for the next 10 years. Gutted is an understatement.

Saw him make his debut in a T20. He batted better in that game than he bowled but it was clear he was going to be class.

He will, potentially, earn a lot more as a lawyer than a cricketer. And he will have not taken this decision lightly - you don't go through 15 years from age group cricket to give up easily. It's also the worst possible game to be playing when your head is not in the right place. And that is the reason why cricket has the highest instances of suicide. Far too much time for reflection.

As for "upward trajectory" - not being able to get in the Surrey 1st team is surely going in the other direction.
  • Options
    I' m not sure he would have earned more as a lawyer , especially if he was able to get a central England contract
  • Options
    There have been a few 'well-educated' England-capped cricketers to retire early. My favourite is probably Alex Loudon, who retired early to become Pippa Middleton's boyfriend