Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Options
    235 all out.
    From 143 for 1 to 235 all out an excellent come back from Surrey.
  • Options
    Plunkett not bowling so well at the moment
  • Options

well the rumours from the last England white ball tour that Plunkett had suddenly 'Lost it' seem correct. I would prefer Dernbach in the side right now.

Unless something changes he should not be in the final world cup squad. And this is coming from soemoene who is a big fan of Liam and was delighted when we signed him. I also felt he should have gone on the last ashes tour.

But at 34 now and reportedly having lost a yard and a half of pace it may be that he simply isn't the bowler he was a year ago.

• Options
    Think all the other games had a first innings score over 300 so you have done well to restrict them to 235
  • Options
    Curious lack of posts following the Gloucestershire innings
  • Options
    I can only assume that Surrey chased it comfortably 
  • Options
    On sky right now.

Got that on one screed and the Oxford match on the other.
  • Options
    Last game for Surrey if I had anything to do with it.
    Bowling wank right now. 
  • Options
    Last game for Surrey if I had anything to do with it.
    Bowling wank right now. 
    As I said above always been a fan of his but from watching him in the 3 games he's played for Surrey on the back of some weaker performances for England this winter it's pretty clear he's not the player he was 6 months ago. 

Massively down on pace and not got the control. 

When Dernbach is fit it's an absolute no brainer.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Knowing there are a few Surrey fans on here I wonder if anybody is interested in this cracking piece of memorabilia.

My mate went over to Sharjah in 1997 and came back with this.  I then got Ben to sign this the following season and this then was proudly hung on the wall of my spare room until marriage and moving meant this has to go.

I contacted Surrey hoping they would like this but they said that they have a few things already at The Oval, they gave me the details of where Ben was schooled but this was down in Somerset.

However, I would like this to go to a good Surrey home, I do not want any money for this but just to be content it is going to another Surrey fan who can enjoy it as much as I have.

Please pm me if you are interested.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Claimed by @blackpool72
  • Options
    Claimed by @blackpool72
    Many thanks Gazza 
  • Options
    Pope out for the majority of the season with a dislocated shoulder

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48066356
  • Options

A weird coincidence after Billings yesterday. I don't recall many players in the old days getting shoulder injuries fielding
  • Options

A weird coincidence after Billings yesterday. I don't recall many players in the old days getting shoulder injuries fielding
    Almost as rare as two football players from the same team doing it.
  • Options

Sad news for him, I think he could become an England regular in most forms of the game, in the years to come
  • Options

Sad news for him, I think he could become an England regular in most forms of the game, in the years to come
    Without a doubt 
  • Options

Will Jacks now has the chance to show he's the next one off the Surrey production line.

• Options
    No updates on the Surrey game today? 
  • Options
    Sorry to see that you've all been too busy to follow the action but I can confirm that Surrey were beaten by Kent in a very close affair - by 8 wickets and with the small matter of 132 balls remaining.

It's a good job that Kent had half their team missing otherwise the margin of defeat might have been a lot bigger.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Your boys took one hell of a beating :wink:
  • Options
    Addick Addick  and Covered End.

Macros car park Saturday. 
  • Options

• Options

So the season starts on Thursday with our County Championship opener against Essex. Time for my usual ramblings about what to expect this season.

The Squad is looking STROOOONGGGG this year and we have strengthened further this summer.

Ins: Liam Plunkett, Jordan Clark.

Plunkett is keen to play more red ball cricket and his white ball credentials are unquestionable. In him we have a top class performer guaranteed.

Clark is (so it appears) seen as a long term replacement for Rikki Clarke. A very good all rounder who adds some depth in the 4 day stuff but I think is seen more as a limited overs player. He is a wonderful hundred for Lancs against us a couple of years back and bowls good pace.

Elgar and Finch are back as our overseas players as before. We still have one more slot available in the T20 although I'm not sure we need it. I expect Stewie & co will see who is available after the world cup. If we could add anything to our T20 side I reckon it would be a spinning allrounder that we need the most.

Outs:

Matt Pillans

Technically Matt left before the end of last season. He was a promising player but wasn't getting the chances at Surrey.

So the overall squad is:

Openers - Stoneman, Burns, Elgar, Harinath

Batsmen - Borthwick, Pope, Roy, Jacks, Finch (T20 only)

Keepers - Foakes , Smith

Spinners, Virdi, Batty, Van Den Bergh

All rounders - Patel, Clarke, Clark, Sam Curran

Quicks - Tom Curran, Morkel, Plunkett, Dernbach, Mckerr, Meaker, Dunn, Atkinson

Squad of 26 of which 17 are academy products.

That is some strength in depth. The thing that strikes me the most is that if everyone is available (not likely to happen to much) we are going to have international players not getting in the side! That's madness!

Possible call ups to Burns, Roy, Pope, Foakes, Sam, Tom, Plunkett and maybe even Stoneman should give everyone a chance to stake their claim. With the way the international season is ordered this year we shouldn't lose too many at once.

It certainly looks on the face of it that Meaker and Dunn are surplus to requirements. I think this is a huge shame as they are both incredibly talented bowlers whose career have been ruined by injuries. Both genuine quicks (who knows what would have happened if they played their cricket in Australia) capable of knocking someone over with raw pace. I would love for one or both of them to stake a claim for the side but I feel like they may need to move on to further their careers. A loan to a Div 2 side or struggling Div 1 side may be good for all parties.

Lineups

Championship

Burns (C)
    Stoneman
    Borthwick
    Roy
    Pope
    Foakes (W)
    Sam Curran
    Clarke
    Tom Curran
    Morkel
    Virdi

Virdi is injured so will miss the Essex game (but should be back before the next champo game) but the experienced Batty will likely come in for him. Alternatively a full time spinner may not be needed early season so Jacks could come in to add some extra batting and share spinning duties with Scott Borthwick who has bowled a lot over the winter in grade cricket in AUS.

Roy is also likely to miss out due to a tight hamstring so Elgar will come in.

Again the depth is incredible - the likes of Elgar/Patel/Jacks/Plunkett/Mckerr/Dernbach not getting in!

One Day Cup

Stoneman
    Roy
    Jacks
    Pope
    Foakes
    Clark
    Sam
    Tom
    Plunket
    Batty
    Dernbach

Looks a little bowler heavy but cant work out who to take out. Relies on Jacks being second spinner. Morkel can't get in the side!

T20

Roy
    Finch
    Jacks
    Pope
    Foakes
    Clark
    Sam
    Tom
    Plunket
    Batty
    Dernbach

Pre season

Main talking points from the tour to Dubai are the Will Jacks 100 off 25 balls in a T10 match, Ollie Pope hitting 250 int he first class match and Jamie Smith hitting a hundred and keeping exceptionally well on his first class debut. It seems that Pope is not considered back up keeper as Smith was played in every game when Foakes was unavailable. A mention for Mckerr who according to reports has bulked up a bit and was bowling fast and accurate - some think he has staked a claim for this year.

We had another warm up game against Durham MCCU. Stoneman, Borthwick and Patel all hit hundreds and TC hit 76. Unfortunately rain ruined any hopes of a full day in the field and we only managed to bowl 26 overs picking up one wicket.

Predictions

Surrey to Win the championship and One Day cup. Semi finalists of the T20

Burns to cement his spot as England opener.

Members forum

Some notes I've been passed on from a family friend who attends these things.

Development of the ground is continuing. Nothing major this year but small stuff increasing capacity by 2500 and improvements to members facilities.

13k Members - by a long way the largest in county cricket

Every international day sold out

Deliberately not named a vice captain - keep people motivated.

Continued opposition to the hundred bollocks.

ECB have not told us where to bat certain batsmen - although we have about 7 players keen to be in the top 4.

How are those predictions looking Canters?
  • Options

So the season starts on Thursday with our County Championship opener against Essex. Time for my usual ramblings about what to expect this season.

The Squad is looking STROOOONGGGG this year and we have strengthened further this summer.

Ins: Liam Plunkett, Jordan Clark.

Plunkett is keen to play more red ball cricket and his white ball credentials are unquestionable. In him we have a top class performer guaranteed.

Clark is (so it appears) seen as a long term replacement for Rikki Clarke. A very good all rounder who adds some depth in the 4 day stuff but I think is seen more as a limited overs player. He is a wonderful hundred for Lancs against us a couple of years back and bowls good pace.

Elgar and Finch are back as our overseas players as before. We still have one more slot available in the T20 although I'm not sure we need it. I expect Stewie & co will see who is available after the world cup. If we could add anything to our T20 side I reckon it would be a spinning allrounder that we need the most.

Outs:

Matt Pillans

Technically Matt left before the end of last season. He was a promising player but wasn't getting the chances at Surrey.

So the overall squad is:

Openers - Stoneman, Burns, Elgar, Harinath

Batsmen - Borthwick, Pope, Roy, Jacks, Finch (T20 only)

Keepers - Foakes , Smith

Spinners, Virdi, Batty, Van Den Bergh

All rounders - Patel, Clarke, Clark, Sam Curran

Quicks - Tom Curran, Morkel, Plunkett, Dernbach, Mckerr, Meaker, Dunn, Atkinson

Squad of 26 of which 17 are academy products.

That is some strength in depth. The thing that strikes me the most is that if everyone is available (not likely to happen to much) we are going to have international players not getting in the side! That's madness!

Possible call ups to Burns, Roy, Pope, Foakes, Sam, Tom, Plunkett and maybe even Stoneman should give everyone a chance to stake their claim. With the way the international season is ordered this year we shouldn't lose too many at once.

It certainly looks on the face of it that Meaker and Dunn are surplus to requirements. I think this is a huge shame as they are both incredibly talented bowlers whose career have been ruined by injuries. Both genuine quicks (who knows what would have happened if they played their cricket in Australia) capable of knocking someone over with raw pace. I would love for one or both of them to stake a claim for the side but I feel like they may need to move on to further their careers. A loan to a Div 2 side or struggling Div 1 side may be good for all parties.

Lineups

Championship

Burns (C)
    Stoneman
    Borthwick
    Roy
    Pope
    Foakes (W)
    Sam Curran
    Clarke
    Tom Curran
    Morkel
    Virdi

Virdi is injured so will miss the Essex game (but should be back before the next champo game) but the experienced Batty will likely come in for him. Alternatively a full time spinner may not be needed early season so Jacks could come in to add some extra batting and share spinning duties with Scott Borthwick who has bowled a lot over the winter in grade cricket in AUS.

Roy is also likely to miss out due to a tight hamstring so Elgar will come in.

Again the depth is incredible - the likes of Elgar/Patel/Jacks/Plunkett/Mckerr/Dernbach not getting in!

One Day Cup

Stoneman
    Roy
    Jacks
    Pope
    Foakes
    Clark
    Sam
    Tom
    Plunket
    Batty
    Dernbach

Looks a little bowler heavy but cant work out who to take out. Relies on Jacks being second spinner. Morkel can't get in the side!

T20

Roy
    Finch
    Jacks
    Pope
    Foakes
    Clark
    Sam
    Tom
    Plunket
    Batty
    Dernbach

Pre season

Main talking points from the tour to Dubai are the Will Jacks 100 off 25 balls in a T10 match, Ollie Pope hitting 250 int he first class match and Jamie Smith hitting a hundred and keeping exceptionally well on his first class debut. It seems that Pope is not considered back up keeper as Smith was played in every game when Foakes was unavailable. A mention for Mckerr who according to reports has bulked up a bit and was bowling fast and accurate - some think he has staked a claim for this year.

We had another warm up game against Durham MCCU. Stoneman, Borthwick and Patel all hit hundreds and TC hit 76. Unfortunately rain ruined any hopes of a full day in the field and we only managed to bowl 26 overs picking up one wicket.

Predictions

Surrey to Win the championship and One Day cup. Semi finalists of the T20

Burns to cement his spot as England opener.

Members forum

Some notes I've been passed on from a family friend who attends these things.

Development of the ground is continuing. Nothing major this year but small stuff increasing capacity by 2500 and improvements to members facilities.

13k Members - by a long way the largest in county cricket

Every international day sold out

Deliberately not named a vice captain - keep people motivated.

Continued opposition to the hundred bollocks.

ECB have not told us where to bat certain batsmen - although we have about 7 players keen to be in the top 4.

How are those predictions looking Canters?

Ouch 
  • Options
    I know Surrey haven't got going this year but there's no need for this thread to be languishing on page God know what! We're only three points below Kent and their thread remains firmly on the front page.

117-2 against Yorkshire at Guildford at the moment
  • Options
    242 for 4.
    I'm with you in spirit  Bangkok 
  • Options
    Me too
  • Options
    Just bringing this thread to the top - wouldn't want it to fall off the bottom or be closed by Admin due to inactivity!
  • Options
    Has Burns been injured, see he is playing in this game, I wonder about his form for the Ashes, Bayliss seems to be pushing for Jason Roy